PDA

View Full Version : names

Chillie
22-Jan-06, 21:47
I over heard my children today talking about school teachers and the nick names they have for them, it brought back when i was at high school and the names we had for teachers does any one remember names they had for their teachers? i clearly remember eagle beak:lol:

landmarker
22-Jan-06, 21:49
I over heard my children today talking about school teachers and the nick names they have for them, it brought back when i was at high school and the names we had for teachers does any one remember names they had for their teachers? i clearly remember eagle beak:lol:

We had a German teacher called Prike.
I'll spare you the nicknames but they were not overly inventive.

angela5
22-Jan-06, 22:01
There was a cooking teacher called soup dragon.

Saveman
22-Jan-06, 22:02
We had a tiny P.E. teacher that we called "Lofty." :lol:

nicnak
22-Jan-06, 22:03
We had a rural studies teacher called Rigor Mortis Cos he always walked stiff as a board and was always white as a sheet, pretty cruel looking back cos he was probably ill.

ice box
22-Jan-06, 22:05
i had a art teacher called sweaty ingils

phoenix
22-Jan-06, 22:07
I remember Cannon at WHS was it History or English she taught, and Minnie and Maddie :Razz

Phoebus_Apollo
22-Jan-06, 22:07
Who can forget "Spongy" the softest (and looking back) nicest RE teacher in the world...

Alice in Blunderland
22-Jan-06, 22:08
We had an English teacher called Cabbage,Maths teacher Donnie cod,Thunderguts who I think was married to Thunderbird(not sure what they taught typing or such I think),Boneshaker who also taught English not to mention mad Scott and mad More, Pigeon,these are just a few names that are coming into my head just now.

JAWS
22-Jan-06, 22:09
Had a teacher called David Ivor Morgan or as he normally appeared D.I.Morgan.
You have 10 seconds to guess what we called him.
Some parents really do need treatment!

angela5
22-Jan-06, 22:10
Bunny...porky....biffo....steaky lips....jimmy jue.....hutchy.....johny onion.

katarina
22-Jan-06, 22:13
Cannon, eagle beak, donnie cod, rugger,biffo, porky, and guess what they called Mr Gladstone?

ice box
22-Jan-06, 22:16
We had an English teacher called Cabbage,Maths teacher Donnie cod,Thunderguts who I think was married to Thunderbird(not sure what they taught typing or such I think),Boneshaker who also taught English not to mention mad Scott and mad More, Pigeon,these are just a few names that are coming into my head just now.
mad more he was the best lol

teddybear1873
22-Jan-06, 22:23
Ye Spongey was a laugh, Piggie Powel, Bertie Boil, Witchie Poo, cant remember Mr Mackay the french teachers nickname, ma memory is not so good

angela5
22-Jan-06, 22:25
Think the french teacher mr mackay was called ko-jak

teddybear1873
22-Jan-06, 22:31
Think the french teacher mr mackay was called ko-jak
thats it....i knew it was something to do wi his bald heed but couldnt remember

connieb19
22-Jan-06, 22:37
Basher, Biffo, Gonk and human cabbage. Oh and Hoppy..lol:Razz

angela5
22-Jan-06, 22:38
Rent a tent..mrs mcGarry. mad scott french teacher.

Saveman
22-Jan-06, 22:38
One of our teachers had a stutter, his nickname came from that.
He was trying to say gyroscope......his nickname was Gy.

Soo, so cruel I know, but we were only kids!

:o

ice box
22-Jan-06, 22:44
did any one have donkey doogun or turbo ...... cant say the rest but if you had them you will know what i mean lol

BazzaG
22-Jan-06, 22:49
Wot about Bigfoot + Hippy Hay

Chillie
22-Jan-06, 22:54
what about rolf ? :lol:

ice box
22-Jan-06, 22:57
i mind hippy hay but cant remember big foot

spiggie
22-Jan-06, 23:11
Egal beak, hippy hay, turbo boobs (you can guess the proper word), porky, Taz, poison dwarf i think thats all i can remember lol :)

lasher
22-Jan-06, 23:14
What about Hutchy Halfbottle!!

pedromcgrory
22-Jan-06, 23:15
piggy powell ,bertie boyle,beaky bruce,

connieb19
22-Jan-06, 23:17
Egal beak, hippy hay, turbo boobs (you can guess the proper word), porky, Taz, poison dwarf i think thats all i can remember lol :)LOL..I had forgotten all about the poison dwarf. How many of them teachers are still there? :confused:

angela5
22-Jan-06, 23:18
Humpy Iszit..:eyes

angela5
22-Jan-06, 23:20
Cannon, eagle beak, donnie cod, rugger,biffo, porky, and guess what they called Mr Gladstone?

Katarina i remember mr gladstone don't want to post the nick name on here what about Mrs Gladstone..lol:lol:

spiggie
22-Jan-06, 23:21
Turbo, taz and hippy hay are still there lol they were very good teachers aswell just thot id add that :)

angela5
22-Jan-06, 23:25
Granny rosie she was a great teacher..Dr Snuggles the lab tech.
Geordie bones...Bertie boggle eyes....Freaky frame...

angela5
22-Jan-06, 23:25
what about rolf ? :lol:

Great teacher and he's still there.

connieb19
22-Jan-06, 23:26
Great teacher and he's still there.Whos Rolf?:confused:

phoenix
22-Jan-06, 23:37
Whos Rolf?:confused:

Now theres a really odd, weird, strange, coincidental coincidence:RazzI was thinking exactly the same thing ..............Who is Rolf?[smirk] Im not kidding! That is really weird[smirk]

teddybear1873
22-Jan-06, 23:37
I those were e days..lol...Thinking back i can only laugh at some of the teachers way back then...Mr Kidd what was he like, shouting "bring me the bands" That man was not right in the head, always made sure your backside was against a wall when he was around. As for Bailkie the woodwork teacher he wasnt keen on the 1st or 2nd year pupils, always growled at them but soon changed his tune when they were in 3rd or 4th year, always had an excuse to go in the cupboard for a quick half chill lol. Mr Brooks, if you gave him cheek he made your hand numb for a week but i liked him he was fair an square. Mr Jacks was ok too, he was good at e belt as was Mr Donn, his belt stood up must have put starch on it lol...aye bring back e belt i say, sort u young blokes oot a wee bit.

angela5
22-Jan-06, 23:39
Whos Rolf?:confused:

Chemistry teacher...think he lives down under:lol:

connieb19
22-Jan-06, 23:48
Chemistry teacher...think he lives down under:lol:Under where... you said he was still there????:confused: :confused:

angela5
22-Jan-06, 23:55
Under where... you said he was still there????:confused: :confused:

you don't get it then connie never mind i've pm'd you.:Razz

callum
23-Jan-06, 01:29
we had english teacher granny gunn and sience teacher called netta duck

Julia
23-Jan-06, 14:30
Humpy Iszit..:eyes

I'd forgotten all about him, he taught latin didn't he?

I remember most of them, Granny Rosie, Eagle Beak, Thunderguts, Mad More, Freaky Frame and Hoppy

LOL this takes me back :o

katarina
23-Jan-06, 14:40
Katarina i remember mr gladstone don't want to post the nick name on here what about Mrs Gladstone..lol:lol:

LOL. We'd probably be banned!

katarina
23-Jan-06, 14:43
I remember Cannon at WHS was it History or English she taught, and Minnie and Maddie :Razz

We must be about the same age then. that wasn't yesterday! Poor Cannon, looking back I feel sorry for the pranks we used to play on her. she couldn't cope very well.

jm.mack
23-Jan-06, 16:33
I remember the majority of these teachers, however a word of caution. A couple of years ago we went through all the nicknames on Caithness.Org message boards & a few stories about the said teachers, then posts were chopped. Some of the quoted teachers families were quite upset by what was written.

Chillie
23-Jan-06, 16:40
Re Jm Mack I dont think anyone should get upset as it is only nicknames and the teachers already know there nicknames nobody has slagged anyone of in this thread.

Bobinovich
23-Jan-06, 17:10
What about Morticia Adams (English) and Para Handy (Navigation)

teddybear1873
23-Jan-06, 18:54
What about Morticia Adams (English) and Para Handy (Navigation)
LOL Ye Para Handy was a laugh, had a funny walk if i remember correctly

teddybear1873
23-Jan-06, 18:57
I remember the majority of these teachers, however a word of caution. A couple of years ago we went through all the nicknames on Caithness.Org message boards & a few stories about the said teachers, then posts were chopped. Some of the quoted teachers families were quite upset by what was written.
Woops..maybe i said a few things to upset people..sorry

LENSMAN
23-Jan-06, 20:28
I remember an english teacher called Bunny.

connieb19
23-Jan-06, 20:30
I remember an english teacher called Bunny.I had Pigeon for English..lol:D

melted_wellie
23-Jan-06, 20:34
I had Pigeon for English..lol:Ddo you not usually have pigeon for tea?

krieve
23-Jan-06, 20:35
I had bunny for english

LENSMAN
23-Jan-06, 20:38
I also had Bella for English but I can't quite remember her full nickname.
Also met Eagle Beak a couple of years ago, she lives on a croft near Loch Calder.

krieve
23-Jan-06, 22:01
Can anyone tell me if Mr Legg is still teaching at the high school.

connieb19
23-Jan-06, 22:03
Can anyone tell me if Mr Legg is still teaching at the high school.He is Krieve, I used to enjoy his classes..lol:grin:

krieve
23-Jan-06, 22:08
He is Krieve, I used to enjoy his classes..lol:grin:
He was the best by far you could give him cheek and he would just give it straight back hehehe that was the days.

Big G
23-Jan-06, 23:35
These were some i culd remember - (in THS)

beaky bruce, gobbledy gook, thunder thumbs, Mrs Dork, fish lips,

canna think of anymore!

luskentyre
24-Jan-06, 00:11
We used to have a maths teacher in Thurso High called Miss Kinnear. Wonderful woman, who by giving up her own time after school, helped us stupid ones who were struggling a bit. Thanks to Miss Kinnear my constant "D" grades, quickly improved to a final "A" in my exam.

Thing is, she bore an uncanny resemblance to Mavis Cruet (the fairy from "Willo the Wisp"). She was also infamous for dropping a BBC Micro computer down the concrete stairs in the Maths block.

Inspired by this, I drew a cartoon of Mavis Cruet tripping over Arthur the caterpillar and dropping said BBC Micro down the stairs, with a cry of "oh, Arthur!". I took it into class and showed someone who then proceeded to call over Miss Kinnear and show her!

Was I punished? Was she mad as hell? Nope, she pinned it on the wall! Lovely woman :-)

girnigoe
24-Jan-06, 00:13
We must be about the same age then. that wasn't yesterday! Poor Cannon, looking back I feel sorry for the pranks we used to play on her. she couldn't cope very well.

Who was Cannon?? I dont remember that one although I remember all the rest all too well!!

scorrie
24-Jan-06, 01:26

Blimey, where was their sense of humour?

Teachers and nicknames go hand-in-hand since the day when Alexander The Great gave Aristotle the handle "Pot-heid" some 2300 years ago.

Anyway, I can recall Juicy Harry, Inch High Private Eye, Willy Three Feet, Sharky, Mr Tea, and a few others that are probably unmentionable on this board, teaching at Wick High

rainbow
24-Jan-06, 09:22
Gonk, Sharkey, Mad janet, ***** Bert, Pigeon, Bella, Cabbage, Donny Cod, Thunderguts, Dotty, Humpy Izzet, Mad more, Freaky Frame, Rolf, Morph, Sexy Sam, Little Chef, Porky, Jimmy Jew, Bunny, Boneshaker, Hoppy, Happy *****, Biffo, Creepy Harry, Granny Rosie, Fanny, - I'm sure I could think of a few more, but it does bring back memories!

DW
24-Jan-06, 09:41
Gonk, Sharkey, Mad janet, ***** Bert, Pigeon, Bella, Cabbage, Donny Cod, Thunderguts, Dotty, Humpy Izzet, Mad more, Freaky Frame, Rolf, Morph, Sexy Sam, Little Chef, Porky, Jimmy Jew, Bunny, Boneshaker, Hoppy, Happy *****, Biffo, Creepy Harry, Granny Rosie, Fanny, - I'm sure I could think of a few more, but it does bring back memories!

Now what is interesting is that you lot are probably the same ones who bleat on about the yoof of today ( and probably girn at poor Robin in the uniform thread). However all the stuff the kids of today get up to is just their version of all that's above.
The difference being that the kids now do it to the teachers' faces and get their parents (you lot) to complain if the school gives them a hard time.
You are probably the same lot that writes their notes when they just want a day off.
And you lot are the ones that teach them to respect school by taking them out of school to get a cheap holiday - what value education then???
There, that's got that off my ample bosom.:lol:

rainbow
24-Jan-06, 13:49
Excuse me sweaty betty, but the name calling was harmless fun, and we were too scared to call the teachers by their nicknames face to face. I teach my children to respect the teachers and the school - they are doing well at the school thank you. They are no angels like everyone else, but they have excellent attendance records, and enjoy going to the school. I encourage them to value their education, and they would be severley reprimanded if I felt they had overstepped the line and disrespected the teachers.

Tymey
24-Jan-06, 13:56
I encourage them to value their education, and they would be severley reprimanded if I felt they had overstepped the line and disrespected the teachers.

Fair point. I had a teacher in Belfast nicknamed Duster If you messed with him or were fast asleep in his class he would throw a blackboard duster at you. We all respected him and he was an excellent teacher and a good laugh.

We did laugh the day a poor unsuspecting first year called him: "Mr. Duster."

DW
24-Jan-06, 14:18
Excuse me sweaty betty, but the name calling was harmless fun, and we were too scared to call the teachers by their nicknames face to face. I teach my children to respect the teachers and the school - they are doing well at the school thank you. They are no angels like everyone else, but they have excellent attendance records, and enjoy going to the school. I encourage them to value their education, and they would be severley reprimanded if I felt they had overstepped the line and disrespected the teachers.

It is hardly harmless fun when the names were, in many cases, designed to ridicule physical features of the person; e.g. eagle beak, donnie cod, hoppy, humpy etc.

So, what would happen if I went into my bank and addressed the teller as spotty, bigears, or fatguts, etc. would that be harmless fun? If teachers are fairgame for this kind of treatment why not everyone?

We are a society which has thankfully moved away from this treatment of the workforce. I know and understand that kids will always be kids but it would be nice if their parents were a bit more enlightnened.

If the parents are not being disrespectful, why are the names being repeated over and over again on this thread?

How would the parents like it if anonymous teachers started a thread about former pupils - ' Oh do ye remember Hiram McGlumpher? Mind, he was that snotty nosed little brat who always had his hands down the front of his trousers. What was he called again? Oh aye, willietweaker!

This is fun;)

katarina
24-Jan-06, 15:15
How would the parents like it if anonymous teachers started a thread about former pupils - ' Oh do ye remember Hiram McGlumpher? Mind, he was that snotty nosed little brat who always had his hands down the front of his trousers. What was he called again? Oh aye, willietweaker!

This is fun;)

I bet that's exactly what they do in private!

DW
24-Jan-06, 15:35
I bet that's exactly what they do in private!

I expect you're right , the difference being that wee word - PRIVATE!!

katarina
24-Jan-06, 16:00
I expect you're right , the difference being that wee word - PRIVATE!!

ach, i think all the teachers are well aware of their nicknames - in fact they would wonder what was wrong with them if they didn't have one. It's all par for the course! And pretty harmless when you concider what's going down nowadays!

Tymey
24-Jan-06, 16:06
I think teachers would be too busy marking exams and homework to have the time to be upset about a nickname pupils have for them.

DW
24-Jan-06, 16:11
ach, i think all the teachers are well aware of their nicknames - in fact they would wonder what was wrong with them if they didn't have one. It's all par for the course! And pretty harmless when you concider what's going down nowadays!

Ok let me repeat it slowly for those who are a bit dim

It is hardly harmless fun when the names were, in

many cases, designed to ridicule physical features of

the person; e.g. eagle beak, donnie cod, hoppy,

humpy etc.

Perhaps you have some endearing little physical frailty that you would like the public to identify you by - maybe your middle aged butt has spread a bit?
Maybe you have those common and charming fat bulges that we could call 'Saddlebags'. Maybe your chest has grown to such proportions we could identify you as BazoombaChest.
You could get this shouted at you in the street when you are out.....

Grow UP!!!!!

Tymey
24-Jan-06, 16:22

Having an opinion different from your own does not make an individual dim.

DW
24-Jan-06, 16:53
Having an opinion different from your own does not make an individual dim.
It has nothing to do with opinion.

If someone appears to be unable to grasp a simple concept concerning the feelings of fellow human beings, then they clearly need to have things explained simply.

I don't care if people agree or disagree.

Chillie
24-Jan-06, 16:58

Same goes for my kids all brought up to respect their elders like we were brought up.
Kids nowadays have no discipline in schools or at home the way that we had due to goverment legislation about smacking children.
So when we were at school we gave a teacher a nick-name and they knew what they were called, they always got the upper hand on us with a few straps of the belt. And respect was given both by pupil and teacher.

Sweaty betty-- So obvisously from your postings you are or were a teacher in Wick High School, can't think who you are yet but i wonder what your nick-name can be? i wonder if its popped up in previous postings. :lol:

DW
24-Jan-06, 17:05
Sweaty betty-- So obvisously from your postings you are or were a teacher in Wick High School, can't think who you are yet but i wonder what your nick-name can be? i wonder if its popped up in previous postings. :lol:

Ah chillie, whatever you do, don't buy a lottery ticket. SweatyBetty a teacher :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you knew how evil I was at school and how many times I was thumped by teachers you would guess differently.
I wouldn't do their job for a ransom. I would have the little bleeders strung up in seconds.
I do think we should treat all workers similarly though; teacher, banker, postie, taxi driver, doesnae matter. It is astoundingly rude to make fun of peoples physical shortcomings.

Chillie
24-Jan-06, 17:35
Oh sweaty my dear person, teacher or teacher's son, daughter, oh yes!

I don't think anyone was trying to mock peoples physical shortcomings, only trying to bring back old school memories, i might or might not have any physical shortcomings in my eyes ,but to someone else's eyes maybe i have.
I am currently doing a course in furniture restoration and i am working with a guy who has a big nose , big bum and goffey teeth and we call him allsorts[lol] [lol] [lol] [lol].

DrSzin
24-Jan-06, 19:35
we had english teacher granny gunn and sience teacher called netta duckThey were both English teachers. I'm pretty sure Ms Duck didn't teach science.

katarina
24-Jan-06, 19:44

humpy etc.!!!!!

If i remember correctly, eagle beak and I share the same unfortunate too large hooter. And as a child I would have undoubtedly been crushed to have that shouted at me in the street. However, as an adult, I hope i would be grown up enough to let name calling by children run off my back. Donnie cod, to my recollection, did in no way resemble a cod, never knew how he got the name - but maybe you think he did? I don't know the other two.

Perhaps you have some endearing little physical frailty that you would like the public to identify you by - maybe your middle aged butt has spread a bit?
Maybe you have those common and charming fat bulges that we could call 'Saddlebags'. Maybe your chest has grown to such proportions we could identify you as BazoombaChest.

Grow UP!!!!!

As i have already said, I am comfortable enough in my own skin, not to let kids nicknames bother me. If you still are hurt by juvenile pranks, then perhaps it is you who should grow up!

katarina
24-Jan-06, 19:52

Grow UP!!!!!

Neither I nor any of my friends shouted names at our teachers in the street. THAT would have been very rude and hurtful. They all had their nicknames, but far from being disrespectful, we did have respect for each and every one of them.
I can't talk for the kids of today.
By the way ....I have none of the above!

Sporran
24-Jan-06, 20:01
They were both English teachers. I'm pretty sure Ms Duck didn't teach science.

No, Netta Duck did not teach science. Is Callum is thinking of Squeaky Dunn, perhaps? Then there was Mrs Pollock senior, at a later date. I think she was a science teacher at THS, but maybe it was maths she taught...

Karaoke Queen
24-Jan-06, 20:57
It has nothing to do with opinion.

If someone appears to be unable to grasp a simple concept concerning the feelings of fellow human beings, then they clearly need to have things explained simply.

I don't care if people agree or disagree.

What an ignorant and arrogant post this is

DW
24-Jan-06, 21:56
Aye but it's been a lot of fun though!

crayola
25-Jan-06, 02:37

humpy etc.

Grow UP!!!!!

What an ignorant and arrogant post this isIndeed it is.

Aye but it's been a lot of fun though!Was this last post written by the same SweatyBetty that told people to "Grow Up!!!!!"?

If you're gonna play silly or childish games, then you need to improve your memory and not get caught out quite so easily. :rolleyes:

DW
25-Jan-06, 09:31
Indeed it is.

Was this last post written by the same SweatyBetty that told people to "Grow Up!!!!!"?

If you're gonna play silly or childish games, then you need to improve your memory and not get caught out quite so easily. :rolleyes:

This is a set of forums; where people can write (almost) whatever they want.
Their posts represent nothing more than the meanderings of digits over keyboards.

The problem is that so many people take everything they read here as the gospel truth.

The posts have no more importance than any other kind of rantings and in fact, they have considerably less worth than the letters page of the gutter press, or any other kind of newspaper.

If people think for a moment that this is some kind of serious intellectual, moral or ethical exchange then they need to take a reality check and look at the topics.
This is an anonymous forum despite the attempts of some people to identify / be identified by, other forum users.

SweatyBetty for ever; Numpties for Never:lol: :lol: :lol:

DW
25-Jan-06, 13:25
I notice that someone has taken the hump at my previous post yet they don't have the chutzpah to post up, just gave me a bit of negative reputation.
That kind of supports my point about the 'value' of the forums and their anonymity.
Sweaty's reputation was in tatters years ago :lol:

DW
25-Jan-06, 13:59
The anonymous poster has done it again and they think they are my nemesis [lol] ,

Don't make sweaty laugh, she pours scorn upon your anonymous wee posts. You are not fit to engage in discourse with Sweaty.

If all you can do is snipe at Sweaty and hide you clearly can't see the posts she has from like-minded folk.

Small-minded pussycats just make sweaty smile.

sweaty is BIG enough to stand-up and be counted, unlike some wee people.

Saveman
25-Jan-06, 16:23
This is a set of forums; where people can write (almost) whatever they want.
Their posts represent nothing more than the meanderings of digits over keyboards.

The problem is that so many people take everything they read here as the gospel truth.

I disagree.

The posts have no more importance than any other kind of rantings and in fact, they have considerably less worth than the letters page of the gutter press, or any other kind of newspaper.

I'm not so sure about that.
You've got real people here, giving real opinions.

If people think for a moment that this is some kind of serious intellectual, moral or ethical exchange then they need to take a reality check and look at the topics.
This is an anonymous forum despite the attempts of some people to identify / be identified by, other forum users.

SweatyBetty for ever; Numpties for Never:lol: :lol: :lol:

A "serious intellectual, moral or ethical exchange" is not dictated by the medium of communication but by the content of the communication.
In this forum people can air their views, learn something new, be persuaded to change their mind, persuade others, debate issues etc. It's not going to change the world, but then what can? :rolleyes:

DW
25-Jan-06, 16:48
snip

I'm not so sure about that.
You've got real people here, giving real opinions.
snip

But no real names or addresses therefore people could write anything.:D

crayola
26-Jan-06, 02:01
But no real names or addresses therefore people could write anything.:DAnd you do.

You're no devil's advocaat, unless you're related to noggin the nog.

Not many people will get that. :cool:

Gleber2
26-Jan-06, 02:43
Don't egg her on. She probably won't see the yolk.[evil] :lol:

DW
26-Jan-06, 09:31
And you do.

Not many people will get that. :cool:

You're surely not implying that .orgers are thick, yellow and creamy? :lol:

DrSzin
26-Jan-06, 10:56

Not many people will get that. :cool:Nice one Crayola. :D

You're right, I suspect no-one under 35 or 40(ish), and no-one from the east side of the county will get it. And what's more, it's on-topic! :cool:

squidge
26-Jan-06, 11:27

humpy etc.

Grow UP!!!!!

I know wha tyou are saying Betty but there are cases where people go into a certain profession and have to expect that they will be subjected to some degree of teasing and name calling. Teaching is one of those. I would be surprised if any teacher really expects to get away without being given a nicname or being teased. Isnt it par for the course as it were? Let me be clear - i am not talking about abusive racist sexist or threatening remarks but nicknames? Thats part of the world they work in

I have managed staff for most of my working life - i expect that they will moan about me and probably not like me very much at times - thats part of the job and it goes with the territory - i complain about my boss, he complains about his boss and so my staff complain about me -thats partly why i get paid the extra 5 pence a week or whatever it is. I dont sulk or feel hurt by it or complain about it because thats how it is.

katarina
26-Jan-06, 11:35
Nice one Crayola. :D

You're right, I suspect no-one under 35 or 40(ish), and no-one from the east side of the county will get it. And what's more, it's on-topic! :cool:

I get it!...........

DrSzin
26-Jan-06, 11:37
I get it!...........Are you sure? There's more to it than just the advocaat/egg nog thingie. PM me if you think you know.

But, then again, I could be missing something too.

DW
26-Jan-06, 14:06
I know wha tyou are saying Betty but there are cases where people go into a certain profession and have to expect that they will be subjected to some degree of teasing and name calling. Teaching is one of those. I would be surprised if any teacher really expects to get away without being given a nicname or being teased. Isnt it par for the course as it were? Let me be clear - i am not talking about abusive racist sexist or threatening remarks but nicknames? Thats part of the world they work in
SNIP
I dont sulk or feel hurt by it or complain about it because thats how it is.

It would appear that you are sadly out of step, check this out-
http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=121082006

Key quote
"Scottish TV is a people business and we believe that everyone here deserves to be treated properly and with dignity by their colleagues. ........ Where employees act contrary to company policy, the company has a duty to take action." - STV spokesman

squidge
26-Jan-06, 14:25
It would appear that you are sadly out of step,

I dont think so becase look

STV last night said that Ms Wilkie, who has worked for the broadcaster for 24 years, had been sacked for "a number of acts of gross misconduct" relating to insulting behaviour to a colleague and breach of company rules on the use of office e-mail.

Seems like there is more to this than meets the eye betty my dear. If she was sacked for one instance of calling her boss a fat thing then i would think the whole thing was silly, however if it is the latest in a long line of breaches of her company's rules then she has nothing to complain about. Accepting that you will be moaned about as a boss does not mean being bullied or insulted either by email or face to face or being consistently undermined and if someone persistently breaks the rules then they have to be disciplined.

DW
26-Jan-06, 14:34
SNIP

Accepting that you will be moaned about as a boss does not mean being bullied or insulted either by email or face to face or being consistently undermined and if someone persistently breaks the rules then they have to be disciplined.

Just like kids (and their parents) who repeatedly call teachers names.

Look, I did it, you did it, we all did it - no worries.

What I am getting at, is the parents in this thread who still think it is smart to do it, yet they say they don't let their kids do it.

My mate says that if parents had half an idea what their kids get up to at school...................:roll:

Moira
26-Jan-06, 15:12
Just like kids (and their parents) who repeatedly call teachers names.

Look, I did it, you did it, we all did it - no worries.

What I am getting at, is the parents in this thread who still think it is smart to do it, yet they say they don't let their kids do it.

My mate says that if parents had half an idea what their kids get up to at school...................:roll:

This thread was started by someone reminded of teachers' nicknames when overhearing the kids speaking. They didn't say "Remember how smart we were ......" So I think you're missing the whole point in suggesting that these names were used to actually address the teachers - they were not. Nicknames for figures of authority are a fact of life - I never knew them to be called out at the person they were aimed at. I think you're losing the plot by suggesting otherwise.

DW
26-Jan-06, 15:20
This thread was started by someone reminded of teachers' nicknames when overhearing the kids speaking. They didn't say "Remember how smart we were ......" So I think you're missing the whole point in suggesting that these names were used to actually address the teachers - they were not. Nicknames for figures of authority are a fact of life - I never knew them to be called out at the person they were aimed at. I think you're losing the plot by suggesting otherwise.
Surely one reminder would satisfy the criteria you are suggesting?

Ok, if the 'posters' didn't actually enjoy reiterating them, why were so many names repeated so many times by so many people?

My mate says that the kids in school nowadays very often just shout out the names in the corridor at the teachers. And if they happen to hear their parents referring to teachers by the nicknames then where's the respect in that?
That's my point.

Chillie
26-Jan-06, 16:49
My mate says that the kids in school nowadays very often just shout out the names in the corridor at the teachers. And if they happen to hear their parents referring to teachers by the nicknames then where's the respect in that?
That's my point.

My mate or you ! well,well sweaty you sliped up somewhere, final poolish never worked,Eh!:grin: :grin: :grin:

DW
26-Jan-06, 17:30
My mate or you ! well,well sweaty you sliped up somewhere, final poolish never worked,Eh!:grin: :grin: :grin:

Sorry petal, you've lost me. My mate works at the school but is not my MATE, Big Sonny would kill me if he thought I had another MATE.
Clearly Sweaty isn't bright enough to work out your clues.

crayola
27-Jan-06, 02:30
It appears that noggin the nog was indeed too ephemeral and required a bit too much local knowledge. What a pity, I thought it was a good one. :o