PDA

View Full Version : Tesco fuel prices (revisited)

Moi x
01-Nov-08, 00:27
I know the original thread (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=60057) has been closed for reasons unknown, but I've been away this week and haven't been able to logon or post because of an obscure problem involving cookies on the guest house's PC.

It concerns the following post:-
Petrol stations that sell the Gleaner Brand are working on a margin of 0.029 pence per litre and a rebate of 0.006 per litre .
Out of this has to come wages and all the site costs so without a large shop to support the income a stand alone petrol station will not work.
Many more sites in the Highlands will close due to the low margins and the cost involved in fitting Vapour Recovery systems which have to be in place before 2010.
Out of all the sites in Caithness only Tesco have the Vapour Recovery fitted.The profit margin quoted is obviously wrong because it would require a sale of almost 35 litres to produce a profit of 1p, which is clearly untenable.

Finally, someone using facts, knowledge and logic with regards to this issue!! Thanks CoachmanThis is a very interesting post from a sociological point of view. It suggests that someone who sounds authoritative and produces numbers has a good chance of being taken seriously by other posters.

irrelavent to what ???? you dont know why i am asking the question so how can you assume its irrelavant,
so carrying along without the ass umtion of henry20 does anyone know how much the tanker carrys ?????Depends on the Tanker if is a four wheeler a six or eight wheeler or an artic.
In Caithness it is usually a six wheeler which will carry 22000 ltrs.
So by taking in 20000 Litres you end up with a profit of £580.00 at the margin of 0.029ppl to pay wages and other costs
NOT a lot.
Also the fuel is paid for on Delivery and you have to wait up to Ten days for payment for Card sales.
Easy to see why margins of 10p are being used in Thurso before the Tescos of this world arrive
The figures do not add up for Petrol sites without a reasonable size shop to cross profit lines A profit of £580 from sales of 20,000 litres corresponds to a profit of 2.9p or £0.029 per litre. In other words the original poster confused pounds and pence, and thereby quoted a profit margin that was one hundred times smaller than it should have been.

Why is it that no-one in a society that's extremely sensitive to fuel prices drew attention to this mistake?

Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread. You have contributed to my research on public perceptions of fuel prices.

Moi x

joxville
01-Nov-08, 00:35
[quote=Moi x;452650]I've been away this week and haven't been able to logon or post because of an obscure problem involving cookies on the guest house's PC.

Blooming crumbs, that happens to me all the time. I must start using a plate to keep them on.