PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for newcomer to genealogy?

Wee Monkee
25-Oct-08, 01:29
Hi, just wondering if anybody has any tips they find useful when trying to trace their family roots. I've just started a tree on genes reunited which I've filled with knowledge from family members and now I need to start using the censuses and don't really know how to go about using them very well.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

trinkie
25-Oct-08, 16:56
Hi Wee Monkee ,

Is your family from Scotland? If so you will find Scotlandspeople a great help - £6 for 30 credits.
On IGI you will get some information for free- but then check on Scotlandspeople for Certificates etc.
Freecen also offers a good free service.

BUT at the top of this page you will discover many interesting addresses and good advice.

Dont accept any information without checking the certificates !

Personally I dont like Genes reunited. So be careful who you share your family information with, and check and re-check everything you are given.

If you are ever stuck, there are several kind hearted folk here who will help out. Why not ask a few questions coupled with names and dates and districts, to see what results.

All good wishes and happy hunting.
Trinkie

cuthill
25-Oct-08, 23:50
I personally have great praise for the Genesreunited site there are so many people who have helped me over the years with my tree.If you are looking for anyone on the 1881 census just post a message and i will find them for you

Oddquine
26-Oct-08, 00:21
I'm on Genes Reunited at the moment, but only have a very basic tree on there, and don't intend to renew in November........kinda resent the fact that if you don't continue your subscription, you aren't even allowed to access the trees of those who have given you permission to view them.

Why should Genes Reunited get to sell the info you have worked hard to get.........because that is what they do if anyone uploads their tree without paying the subscription........the person uploading gets no benefit from it.

I'm not that enthusiastic about sites which charge for getting a look at other people's work.......Rootsweb World Connect is at least free.

Tricia
26-Oct-08, 01:31
Hi, just wondering if anybody has any tips they find useful when trying to trace their family roots. I've just started a tree on genes reunited which I've filled with knowledge from family members and now I need to start using the censuses and don't really know how to go about using them very well.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Hi
I guess that since you are on this forum you have Caithness links. Post some of your family data here Names Dates etc - you may find someone can help. Many of us here have a fair bit of Caithness data.

Genesreunited is good as are many other sites with trees but just we aware that some are copied and not always accurate - best to double check source etc.
Tricia

domino
26-Oct-08, 20:55
Persevere and trust the org.