PDA

View Full Version : William Manson

cuthill
22-Oct-08, 13:21
I am looking for any info on William Manson who married Anne Gare/gear/Gair they had a son William Manson who married Agnes Ross at Berridale oin 1859 and emigrated to Austrailia in 1862

Mamie_2
31-Oct-08, 19:47
William Manson c 1781 and Ann Gare/Gear apr 6 1792 parents George Gear and Margaret Green were in Bowermadden in 1841 and both most likely died prior to 1851
William's parents then most likley to be William and Isabel.

children still at home in 1841
Alexander 1815 24 married Janet Watt
Janet 1818 22 married Rose Bremner - one of my connections
Helen 1822 19 married William Mckay
William c 1830 11

daughter Margaret c 1810 married Alexander Harper - one of my connections

other children that I have no further information on
George 1804
William 1805 died young?
Isabel 1808
James 1813
John 1829

Hope that's a start for you.

Mamie

Mamie_2
31-Oct-08, 20:09
Actually I have a specific date of Jul 9 1864 on the "Castle Eden" out of Southhampton to Brisbane. Just not sure where I got it from at the moment.

Mamie

Oddquine
31-Oct-08, 22:30
other children that I have no further information on
George 1804
William 1805 died young?
Isabel 1808
James 1813
John 1829

Hope that's a start for you.

Mamie

The James 1813 married Elizabeth Mowat, daughter of William Farquhar Mowat(one of my connections) and Rose McKean in Bower 1840 and had a wheen of offspring.

cuthill
31-Oct-08, 23:44
Thank you so much Mamie 2 and Oddquine for all your help

Lynnette
03-Nov-08, 01:02
Hi Mamie 2
Thanks for the info on these folk. I have been looking for them for years. Now I can keep forging ahead - well back into the 1700s. If you come across any other info on them, I would be most appreciative. You mention the date their son William and his wife Agnes (Ross) sailed to Australia. I posted that some time ago as I am directly decended from this line. If you want anymore info on the families who are from William and Agnes and came to Brisbane Australia, just let me know.
Once again thanks to you for your assistance.
Regards
Lynnette :)

Mamie_2
06-Nov-08, 23:36
I do have a reference to you Lynette in my notes for William who went to Brisbane but I think it was probably from the Caithness Family History guestbook?

Mamie

Lynnette
31-Dec-08, 08:48
Hi again Mamie 2
I have just come back to continue with my researching my Mansons after a bit of a break. Can you please tell me where you found the info on William Manson and Ann Gare/Gear/Gair parents as I would like to obtain copies of certificates etc for my folders?
I did search through the film strips from LDS from Caithness and found the birth of William I am following recorded as William 'faintly' on the copy of the journal page has been overwritten with the name John dated 29 July 1829 so that is one puzzle solved. Both names are quite legible so don't know if they changed their minds on the name or someone has just altered it. Still, it does give me a direct, provable link to my family line.
Thanks so much for your assistance.
Kind regards
Lynnette :D

Mamie_2
01-Jan-09, 17:31
Ann's birth is registered in Olrig as per FREEREG
County Caithness-shire Place Olrig Church Olrig Vol I RegisterNumber 441 DateOfBirth 06 Apr 1792 BaptismDate Forename Ann Sex F FatherForename George MotherForename Margaret FatherSurname GEAR MotherSurname GREEN Abode Tain FatherOccupation Notes Thomas Murray witness FileNumber

Bower is not yet transcribed.

no specific dates for William

they are in Bowermadden in 1841
1841 Scotland Census
about William Mansen
Name:William Mansen Age:60 Estimated Birth Year:abt 1781 Gender:Male Where born:Caithness, Scotland Civil Parish:Bower County:Caithness Address:Bowermadon Occupation:Cotager Parish Number:34 Neighbors:View others on page Household Members: Name AgeAlexander Mansen 24 Ann Mansen 50 Hellen Mansen 19 Jannet Mansen 22 William Mansen 60 William Mansen 11

I would say both of them died between 1841 and 1851.

Any other information would have come from the IGI and various family trees on the web as well as the census transcriptions on Ancestry.

Mamie

Lynnette
06-Feb-09, 08:24
Hi Maime
Thanks for the info. I will continue with my searching again now. I find it interesting that the spelling is Mansen not Manson. Maybe that is why I am trouble finding information.
Cheers, Lynnette :D

Rosemary Skea
06-Feb-09, 13:29
The difference in the spelling of the surname Manson or Mansen is more to do with who the transcriber was rather than difference in names. Transcribers who are familiar with Scottish names will understand what they are reading . Having been a transcriber and checker for many years for FREECEN and FREEREG, I feel strongly that people who are transcribing must have "local" knowledge. I think this is borne out in your case .

Rosemary

Hi Maime
Thanks for the info. I will continue with my searching again now. I find it interesting that the spelling is Mansen not Manson. Maybe that is why I am trouble finding information.
Cheers, Lynnette :D