PDA

View Full Version : unsecured wireless network

Julia
21-Oct-08, 19:04
My wireless network is unsecured, I'm quite sure my neighbour it piggybacking my connection as my usage jumped up by 1gb this afternoon and I wasn't even home. I've downloaded a key generator but I am not having any success, I've tried following various online instructions but end up with no connection at all. Any advice would be appreciated.

Bobinovich
21-Oct-08, 19:45
Can you give us the make & model of the wireless router - it will assist for giving instructions

Julia
21-Oct-08, 19:54
I'm using a Buffalo WBMR-G54 with an Airstation dongle, thanks Bob!

Bobinovich
21-Oct-08, 23:51
Righty-o, it appears that both these Buffalo products support the AirStation OneTouch Secure System (AOSS) as their standard security. These SHOULD (if I understand the manual right) automatically detect & configure themselves! The best way to determine if your system is or isn't already secured with AOSS would probably be to try and access the wireless network with a non-AOSS product. If you can then you are not secure, if you can't then you are.

If you are not secured then, going by the defaults in the manual, you should access the router setup screens by opening a browser window and entering http://192.168.11.1 into the address bar. You will then be asked for a username & password, both of which are admin.

Now, down the left hand size click the Wireless button and you should see the various settings on the right hand page, including Security. Not having encountered the AOSS system previously I'd try selecting the WPA option & clicking Apply.

These options should then expand to show a Group Key Interval (defaults to 3600 which means it changes automatically every hour) and give the option to enter a PSK String. This is an alpha-numeric string of between 1 and 63 characters, thus allowing you to create a wireless key of your choice. Once you've done that then click Apply once again.

With your wireless security setup you should now save the settings by clicking the Tools tab at the top, then click the System button and, from the System Settings window which appears, select Save and Reboot. Finally click OK in the wee dialog and your router will save and reboot with the new wireless security in place.

Your wireless-enabled PC or laptop should still see the SSID (name) of the wireless network and, when trying to connect, should ask for the PSK String you entered previously above.

Hopefully this will see you sorted :D!

Julia
22-Oct-08, 00:02
Thanks Bob, you make that so easy, I had it sorted within two minutes! I really appreciate you taking the time to give me the info :D

Bobinovich
22-Oct-08, 00:10
You're welcome Julia :cool:

Mr P Cannop
22-Oct-08, 09:11
how do i check to see if open or closed so no one else can use my network ??