PDA

View Full Version : Local Anaesthetic

Bloo
20-Oct-08, 01:24
Hello again everyone. Been a while since i been on..

About a year ago i had my left toenail removed under general. About 3months ago i had the right done because both were infected and ingrown at the time a year ago..Once again, my right is acting up..Ive never had local and bricking it. Its on tuesday i get it done.. Looking for some advice..

Gimme some comfort or some worries[lol]

floyed
20-Oct-08, 08:25
Och you will be fine dina worry about it:D It could be a lot worse:eek:

highlander
20-Oct-08, 08:48
When i was going to a dentist i would always be petrified of any pain i would have, then after watching a programme about children in a third world country would have to go through operations or getting thier teeth pulled without an anaestheic made me feel so gulity that i can be given pain relief and count my blessings that i am not in thier position.

pat
20-Oct-08, 09:40
you will feel much better getting it done under local - no risk from the general anaesthetic, you are wide awake and aware of all going on, no hangover/groggy feeling.
You will also realise how little time it does take to get it done this way and feel more confident about getting anything else done under a local if ever needed.
You will still have the discomfort after having it done butyou will feel better in yourself.

Best Wishes for your recovery

Venture
20-Oct-08, 09:49
Well Bloo I have to say there was no bigger coward than me when it came to hospitals and anaesthetics.:( Getting to the stage of having practically no eyesight, I had to put my fears aside and face having surgery under local anesthetic to correct the problem. The thought of somebody poking about with a scalpel in my eye while wide awake, gave me nightmares and had put me off having it done. The surgeon and nurses assured me I wouldn't feel a thing. I wished I had listened to them earlier and saved myself the worry and inconvenience of having very little sight. I not only had it done once but twice, and never felt a thing. Mind you I couldn't have done it without the support of the staff in the Eye Clinic in Wick. Sometimes the fear is worse than the actual procedure as I found out. Good luck and don't worry. ;)

brokencross
20-Oct-08, 10:07
Had local anaesthetic for various bits and bobs, can sting a bit for a fraction of a second when administered and takes a while to take effect and numbness sets in.
You won't feel a thing during the op but you fully aware of all that is going on and hear all the grunts and groans as the doctor gets on with their work.

A totally different part of the body but for any male readers out there. I had a vasectomy with the surgeon using local anaesthetic...... getting the anaesthetic in my privates was the most excruciating pain I have encountered in my 55 years. Only lasted seconds but will live with me forever.

Angela
20-Oct-08, 10:21
I much prefer a local to a GA. No fasting beforehand and no grogginess afterwards. :)

It can be a wee bit disconcerting hearing people working on your body, but I've found they keep checking you're OK and explain what they're doing and you really do NOT feel any pain.

The localised soreness afterwards is no different.

All the best, Bloo, you'll be fine! :)

NickInTheNorth
20-Oct-08, 10:31
Just as a pleasant thought for you.

Sometimes with a general the anaesthetist has been know - very rarely I hasten to add - to forget to administer the pain relief part of the cocktail of chemicals. As one of the components of a general can be a muscle relaxant which effectively paralyses you you can be lying there in excruciating pain with no means of communicating that to the surgeon. Monitors should pick up on that, but you never know!

Local for me any time there is a choice. at least that way if they hurt you they can receive a punch in the side of the head :D

Blondie
20-Oct-08, 11:07
A friend of mine had both hers removed with Local. She didn't feel a thing. Here's the thing though ...... She had some kind of chemical painted on her toes then so that they wont grow back at all. Perhaps worth considering if its going to be a recurring thing?

northener
20-Oct-08, 12:46
Oh, you'll be fine.
It's a little bit disturbing when the surgeon starts wielding the chainsaw, but once you get used to the noise and the blood spattering everywhere it's a doddle.:D

Seriously though, you won't feel a thing.

Dog-eared
20-Oct-08, 13:59
I had half a big toe nail removed with a local anaesthetic at my GP's .
I was watching but when he got the scissors out to cut it in half he said " you really don't want to watch this bit " , I took his advice. Ha Ha !
Didn't feel a thing, though, and it didnt take long either.

Lucy
20-Oct-08, 15:03
Hi Bloo

Are you getting your surgery done in the hospital or at your local Podiatry/Chiropody clinic.

Tighsonas4
20-Oct-08, 20:15
had my prostate removed with an eepidural in raigmore. the surgeons tounge never stopped and could see all that was going on in a computer thing. it was painless the op itself tony

Bloo
20-Oct-08, 23:56
Thanks everyone for the advice, not so scared now[lol]
How painful are the injections?:confused

Fran
21-Oct-08, 04:59
had my prostate removed with an eepidural in raigmore. the surgeons tounge never stopped and could see all that was going on in a computer thing. it was painless the op itself tony

I was interested to read this as i
have to have the epidural injection in the spine at Raigmore for an op on my knee as I cant have a general anaesthetic but i dont think I would like to watch!!!

Alice in Blunderland
21-Oct-08, 15:02
A totally different part of the body but for any male readers out there. I had a vasectomy with the surgeon using local anaesthetic...... getting the anaesthetic in my privates was the most excruciating pain I have encountered in my 55 years. Only lasted seconds but will live with me forever.

Men shhheeesshh :roll: childbirth now thats a painfull experience........ :lol:

only joking .Reading that made me cringe... oooohh tears to the eye of many a man reading that one. :eek:

Jeid
21-Oct-08, 18:12
I had a minor operation on my eye with local... I watched them cut it open. It'll be fine

Ash
21-Oct-08, 18:20
my other half has to go to wick on friday to get moles removed under local anaesthetic he says he isnt bothered but i think different...

balto
21-Oct-08, 20:34
Men shhheeesshh :roll: childbirth now thats a painfull experience........ :lol:

only joking .Reading that made me cringe... oooohh tears to the eye of many a man reading that one. :eek:
you tell them girl lol, my god if men had to have kids there would be one to a family and it would stop, i am trying to get my oh to get the snip after baby no4 os born but he is to much of a wimp apparently according for him it is easier for a female to be done.

bekisman
22-Oct-08, 10:52
Having been 'in the wars' so to speak; had quite a few operations, I used to have General, but always woke up feeling wheezy, headachy.. so always ask for epidural anaesthesia and find that works for me.. first time (many moons ago) had the 'snip' and had a local jab (quite hilarious when a fellow Fire-fighter, who had been commended for bravery actually fainted on sight of the needle and got a general!).. later whilst on holiday had a sudden bulge in my groin, used the son's PC to look it up and it 'looked' like a had a inguinal hernia.. back home up here and into Wick for a morning op, where I asked for a local which was given and then simply laid back and watched as two Doctors carried out the procedure; interesting!
The same afternoon was up and discharged, feeling great, only a slight weird feeling when I lent against a wall, felt as if I was sinking into it, but this soon passed..
I then had a total knee replacement in Raigmore and once more asked for an epidural, again interesting watching the Surgeon go about his business with the saw and hammer - could not see all of it but again no pain or problems retrospectively.
Just a bit strange afterwards being wheeled out into the recovery room (felt like a multi-story basement with low lighting), and having no one to chat to; everyone else there was out for the count. But they soon wheeled me away to the ward..
So taking everything into consideration I'd go for a 'local' every time, so post-op sickness, faster recovery, and a bonus; watch and listen as the experts go about their work!