4 1/2ozs Shredded Suet
1lb Mixed dried Fruit
1/2 tsp bicar soda
pinch salt
2 tblsp treacle
16fl ozs milk

Mix flour, sugar,cinnamon,m spice ,suet, dried fruit, bicarb of soda and salt
add treacle and mix then add milk
using a large tea towel (linen type) or muslin or old white pillowcase lay out flat sprinkle lightly with flour and sugar spoon the mixture into centre of cloth gather up and tie securely with string
place the dumpling on a heatproof plate in the bottom of a large pan
top up with boiling water to just about 3/4 quarters up cloutie , cover with a lid and simmer GENTLY for about 31/2 hrs checking water level now and again and top up if needed

Preheat oven to 180 or gas 4
Remove cloutie from pan untie and transfer to a warm oven proof dish or plate for about 10-15mins to dry off skin sprinkle with a little more sugar

bluebell
17-Oct-08, 13:13
My Nana used to make this when I was little yum, so I'm going to give it a go!!!

sassylass
18-Oct-08, 03:56
looks good, thanks!

helenwyler
18-Oct-08, 18:39
Sounds tasty Anne. I have to admit I didn't realise a cloutie dumpling was sweet :o! Thanks for adding to the sum of my knowledge :lol:!

tonkatojo
18-Oct-08, 18:55
HI ANNE, I made you recipe today it was brilliant. I have a question though how much room am I supposed to leave for the DUMPLING to expand ?...THANKS JL

Anne x
18-Oct-08, 23:33
what I didnt add to post WHICH was a bit odd when granny took it out the pan before oven escapade she plunged clootie in cold water for 60 secs before the oven to form the skin then bake

trinkie
23-Oct-08, 18:55
The Clootie Dumpling was often cooked in the big pan of broth..... delicious !

I'm no cook, so I haven't tried to make one.

Trinkie

Anne x
23-Oct-08, 19:01
The Clootie Dumpling was often cooked in the big pan of broth..... delicious !

I'm no cook, so I haven't tried to make one.

Trinkie

Go on trinkie have a go its easy to make , mine is never the same shape twice I mind a big black pot over the peat fire with the pudding in it which seemed to me to cook for hours and hours but the smell ohhhhh