PDA

View Full Version : Rude Ringo!

Angela
14-Oct-08, 18:21
Well, Ringo Starr won't be responding to fan mail after October -he's told us so in no uncertain terms. Still, he said it with 'peace and love' so that'll make it OK then! ;)

I'd not realised that he would still be getting fan mail and requests for signatures, and I can see that after all these years it may well have begun to pall just a tad...but need he have been so rude?

Or maybe it was just a tactical ploy to ensure that his gushing torrent of fan mail dries up with immediate effect? [lol]

percy toboggan
14-Oct-08, 18:47
Was he rude?
I'm not at all surprised that an integral part of the greatetst musical phenomenon the world has ever seen is still getting fan-mail.

I applaud him for responding to it for so long after the break up.

Ringo, like myself, is now something of a grumpy older bloke, with a typical penchant for saying what he thinks with a minimum of diplomacy. Can you imagine what Lennon would be coming out with nowadays? ( pun intended)

gleeber
14-Oct-08, 18:55
I heard him on the radio and it sounded just like ringo. I thought it was more cheeky than rude but if it was rude then I think he has done very welll to control it until now.

Liz
14-Oct-08, 19:42
At first reading I thought your post was 'Rude Bingo'! Conjured up some interesting images!:lol:

Good job I am going to Specsavers on Friday!

Poor old Ringo it must be a hard life replying to all your fans!

Angela
14-Oct-08, 19:45
At first reading I thought your post was 'Rude Bingo'! Conjured up some interesting images!:lol:

Good job I am going to Specsavers on Friday!

Lol Liz, would that be like strip poker? [lol]

Liz
14-Oct-08, 19:54
Lol Liz, would that be like strip poker? [lol]

Hee hee! Have to confess that was one of the images which came to mind.:lol:

TBH
14-Oct-08, 20:24
He can count himself lucky that, as an at best, average drummer he was part of one of the greatest bands of all time.

helenwyler
14-Oct-08, 20:25
< requests for signatures>
[lol]

Maybe he's ahead of the game...it's all chip and pin these days ;).

Kevin Milkins
14-Oct-08, 20:26
Was he rude?
I'm not at all surprised that an integral part of the greatetst musical phenomenon the world has ever seen is still getting fan-mail.

I applaud him for responding to it for so long after the break up.

Ringo, like myself, is now something of a grumpy older bloke, with a typical penchant for saying what he thinks with a minimum of diplomacy. Can you imagine what Lennon would be coming out with nowadays? ( pun intended)
I think Lennon might say "can you put that gun down Please":eek:

joxville
14-Oct-08, 21:36
I listened to Mark Radcliffe on BBC Radio 2 whilst driving home from work last night and he mentioned this story. Apparently Ringo has set a cut-off date of 20th October for autograph request's. What's he famous for? An average drummer in an average band who then went on to voice Tommy Tank.

Form an orderly queue please.

TBH
14-Oct-08, 21:40
I listened to Mark Radcliffe on BBC Radio 2 whilst driving home from work last night and he mentioned this story. Apparently Ringo has set a cut-off date of 20th October for autograph request's. What's he famous for? An average drummer in an average band who then went on to voice Tommy Tank.

Form an orderly queue please.I don't think you'll get much flak for telling the truth. I wonder, did the guy feel like he'd won the pools when he joined the beatles or did he actualy think he was a talented drummer?

joxville
14-Oct-08, 21:52
I don't think you'll get much flak for telling the truth. I wonder, did the guy feel like he'd won the pools when he joined the beatles or did he actualy think he was a talented drummer?

Lennon was once asked if Ringo was the best drummer in the world-he replied,"He's not even the best drummer in the Beatles". [lol]

TBH
14-Oct-08, 21:57
Lennon was once asked if Ringo was the best drummer in the world-he replied,"He's not even the best drummer in the Beatles". [lol]And the funny thing is, lennon was probably telling the truth, albeit in a joking way but meaning every word.[lol]

ciderally
14-Oct-08, 23:11
ringo ringo....grumpy old man now...

htwood
15-Oct-08, 00:45
Cheeky! Several more polite ways he could have done it, even a simple post on his own website "sorry, unable to respond to fan mail". The video clip of him was Pure Ringo with his roughest edges showing. Never known for his intelligence or charm, just being Ringo.

hotrod4
15-Oct-08, 06:52
He's right in a way, But he should never forget the people who have put him where he is now. If it wasnt for all those fans he would be a normal every day guy like the rest of us struggling to pay bills etc.
You should be nice to people on the way up as you willl meet them on the way back down!

What has he actually done since leaving The Beatles? (besides Thomas)

trinkie
15-Oct-08, 09:11
Poor Ringo looked as though he was high on something !
This is yet another example of Greed !
He got what he wanted now - stuff you !

There once was a mannie called Ringo
Played the drums, but couldn't sing O
He played on for years
Through the Love and the Tears
But now he's gone off to play BingO

Peace and Love, Peace and Love :-)

Angela
15-Oct-08, 09:21
Yay, trinkie,

PEACE AND LOVE !!!
:D ;)

wifie
15-Oct-08, 13:34
Ha ha ya owld hippies - Angela and Trinkie! [lol]
No much peace and love eminating from Ringo!
Best two Beatles are gone and what are we left with? :confused

The macs
17-Oct-08, 22:19
Sorry read this post as Rude Bingo and thought that sounded like fun lol:lol:

Cedric Farthsbottom III
17-Oct-08, 22:29
Ringo Starr was the drummer of the Beatles.To make some money he voiced Thomas The Tank Engine and Friends.Would ye ask him for your autograph?Ye say ye widnae but ye wid.I wid?He maybe wisnae the most talented Beatle,but he was the funniest,read their interviews,ye'll know wit I mean.

percy toboggan
17-Oct-08, 22:49
'Never known for his charm'

'An average drummer'

Dearie me, how wide of the mark can one get.
Starkey was a key ingredient of the Beatles osmosis from a tight little beat combo to the family favourites who charmed the nation, sold albums by the truckload and changed the face of pop music forever. Emerging from a post austerity Britain he was was the antidote to the North American pretty boys who had been monopolising their daughters affections until then. Whole families loved the Beatles...Mums and Grannies loved Ringo. He helped legitimise - in their eyes - their kids fascination with the new sounds the fab four were creating. His somewhat unusual big nosed looks endeared him to those who were beyond buying records.There was the cute one, the cheeky one, the quiet one and the rum looking beggar who pounded the skins to some effect.

As for the 'average drummer' jibe: take a listen to 'Rain' first of all, then then listen again & think beyond the Lennon gag to the time Ringo was intent on leaving the band and they bent over backwards to get him to stay. He was the lesser of the four talents, but that doesn't mean he was average....far from it in my opinion. I was there, buying the albums, lapping up the band like manna from heaven. Ringo was a key ingredient in the recipe that made the sixties swing, and is rightly part of their enduring legacy.

TBH
17-Oct-08, 22:59
Ringo Starr was the drummer of the Beatles.To make some money he voiced Thomas The Tank Engine and Friends.Would ye ask him for your autograph?Ye say ye widnae but ye wid.I wid?He maybe wisnae the most talented Beatle,but he was the funniest,read their interviews,ye'll know wit I mean.You can't say, 'maybe he wasn't the most talented beatle'. That would be wrong as there is no maybe about it. He was average at best and extremely lucky to be part of a band far exceeding his meagre "talent."

TBH
17-Oct-08, 23:04
'Never known for his charm'

'An average drummer'

Dearie me, how wide of the mark can one get.
Starkey was a key ingredient of the Beatles osmosis from a tight little beat combo to the family favourites who charmed the nation, sold albums by the truckload and changed the face of pop music forever. Emerging from a post austerity Britain he was was the antidote to the North American pretty boys who had been monopolising their daughters affections until then. Whole families loved the Beatles...Mums and Grannies loved Ringo. He helped legitimise - in their eyes - their kids fascination with the new sounds the fab four were creating. His somewhat unusual big nosed looks endeared him to those who were beyond buying records.There was the cute one, the cheeky one, the quiet one and the rum looking beggar who pounded the skins to some effect.

As for the 'average drummer' jibe: take a listen to 'Rain' first of all, then then listen again & think beyond the Lennon gag to the time Ringo was intent on leaving the band and they bent over backwards to get him to stay. He was the lesser of the four talents, but that doesn't mean he was average....far from it in my opinion. I was there, buying the albums, lapping up the band like manna from heaven. Ringo was a key ingredient in the recipe that made the sixties swing, and is rightly part of their enduring legacy.As you know, Percy, opinions are like rectums, everybody has one.
In my opinion he was average and very lucky to be a part of their success.

percy toboggan
17-Oct-08, 23:13
As you know, Percy, opinions are like rectums, everybody has one.
In my opinion he was average and very lucky to be a part of their success.

Whilst I must agree with your first point, not all of us use the rectal facility as a means through which to express those same opinions.

(the essence of my point is that the 'success' you speak of might not have happened were he not a part of it....at worst he was a contributing catalyst, if you'll forgive the contradiction in terms)

TBH
17-Oct-08, 23:16
Whilst I must agree with your first point, not all of us use the rectal facility as a means through which to express those same opinions.

(the essence of my point is that the 'success' you speak of might not have happened were he not a part of it....at worst he was a contributing catalyst, if you'll forgive the contradiction in terms)Touché, as they say.
Please Percy, you are not seriously trying to suggest that Ringo was a catalyst of their success, please, nooooo.
They could have had one of those duracell bunnies playing drums and they would still have been a success.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
17-Oct-08, 23:18
You can't say, 'maybe he wasn't the most talented beatle'. That would be wrong as there is no maybe about it. He was average at best and extremely lucky to be part of a band far exceeding his meagre "talent."

He was a Beatle.So call him average at best and extremely lucky,but he was still a Beatle.His drumbeats through the albums still see him as a Beatle.Go to any pub quiz,Who was the drummer for the Beatles?99% would say Ringo Starr.1% would say Pete Best.

TBH
17-Oct-08, 23:22
He was a Beatle.So call him average at best and extremely lucky,but he was still a Beatle.His drumbeats through the albums still see him as a Beatle.Go to any pub quiz,Who was the drummer for the Beatles?99% would say Ringo Starr.1% would say Pete Best.I have never denied that he was a Beatle. All I am saying is that he wasn't a very good drummer, he should be thankful that he was part of their success and is still receiving fan mail, requests for autographs.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
17-Oct-08, 23:36
I have never denied that he was a Beatle. All I am saying is that he wasn't a very good drummer, he should be thankful that he was part of their success and is still receiving fan mail, requests for autographs.

He wasn't a good drummer?Thats why I added Pete Best into my post.Even Pete Best has said that Ringo was more a Beatle than he was.Why is Ringo rude?Cos he has said he will sign no autographs?Who needs a signature,I have a lifetime in music to listen to.Were living in an E-bay culture,their were four,now sadly their only two.The two guys are the only one's left.He signs a signature for free for a "genuine fan" they sell it on E-bay to a Beatle "fan" for whatever.So who is rude?

TBH
18-Oct-08, 00:09
He wasn't a good drummer?Thats why I added Pete Best into my post.Even Pete Best has said that Ringo was more a Beatle than he was.Why is Ringo rude?Cos he has said he will sign no autographs?Who needs a signature,I have a lifetime in music to listen to.Were living in an E-bay culture,their were four,now sadly their only two.The two guys are the only one's left.He signs a signature for free for a "genuine fan" they sell it on E-bay to a Beatle "fan" for whatever.So who is rude?Some people are selling autographs on E-Bay, that's his reason?
I reckon he's just an ungrateful tosser.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
18-Oct-08, 00:23
Some people are selling autographs on E-Bay, that's his reason?
I reckon he's just an ungrateful tosser.

I'm an ungrateful tosser.The only difference betwen me and Ringo is he is a "RICH" ungrateful tosser.Mind ye,after listening to the fab four,I'll leave him off wi it.

Kevin Milkins
18-Oct-08, 00:24
I think he would have done himself a favour if he had got his PR person to make an announcment that he would no longer be doing autographs.

I saw the video clip for the first time tonight and he came over as a right pillock.

Moi x
18-Oct-08, 00:29
I thought it was really funny. Really stupid but really funny.

Who was the best drummer in the Beatles anyway?

Moi x

Cedric Farthsbottom III
18-Oct-08, 00:40
He can say what ever he wants with or without anybody.He is LOADED,his royalties add up to something cronic.He was a Beatle in the 60's did the tours,jammed well with the rest of the boys.Ringo ye rock in ma eyes.You boys with the rest of the bands that folliowed have more excellence in ma eyes than half the paff their coming oot with today.

Moi x
18-Oct-08, 00:45
Yes Cedric, but you didn't answer the question. Who was the best drummer in the Beatles?

Moi x

Cedric Farthsbottom III
18-Oct-08, 01:12
Yes Cedric, but you didn't answer the question. Who was the best drummer in the Beatles?

Moi x

Ringo Starr.So who do you think?

Moi x
18-Oct-08, 01:15
Ringo Starr.So who do you think?It doesn't matter what I think, I want to know what John Lennon thought.

Moi x

Cedric Farthsbottom III
18-Oct-08, 01:19
It doesn't matter what I think, I want to know what John Lennon thought.

Moi x

John Lennon is dead.Ringo is making the money on his own ,its the scroungers thats taken Johns.

Moi x
18-Oct-08, 01:27
John Lennon is dead.Ringo is making the money on his own ,its the scroungers thats taken Johns.I know John is dead, I've visited Yoko's memorial to him at Strawberry Fields.

I was coming back to joxville's post.

Lennon was once asked if Ringo was the best drummer in the world-he replied,"He's not even the best drummer in the Beatles". [lol]I want to know who John Lennon believed was the best drummer in the Beatles. :D

Moi x

Cedric Farthsbottom III
18-Oct-08, 01:34
I know John is dead, I've visited Yoko's memorial to him at Strawberry Fields.

I was coming back to joxville's post.
I want to know who John Lennon believed was the best drummer in the Beatles. :D

Moi x

John couldnae play guitar,he couldnae sing.Ringo couldnae drum.Thank God for the Beatles.The best band who couldnae dae nothin.Just lucky Paul and George were there to hold up the other two lackies.

percy toboggan
18-Oct-08, 14:10
McCartney has been known to drum.
Lennon probably said the quoted line as much for effect as anything else. It was always likely to raise a laugh. JWL had a certain acerbic, mocking wit about him didn't he.

We shall never know.

gleeber
18-Oct-08, 22:03
Although I heard Ringo on the radio a few days ago i only saw it on tv tonight. It was classic. Somethings really riled him. Hes had 45 years of living a surreal life, at least in terms of our own lives. Hes only human though and it was great to see him cracking up. Peace and love.
There would have been no ring to the beatles if it hadnt been for Ringo.
Paul, John George and James or John George Paul and Pete doesnt have the same ring.

TBH
19-Oct-08, 00:13
If he didn't want any fan-mail he should have just played this instead of mouthing off:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=W5y956PV8no&feature=related

Peace and love, Peace and love.[lol]

Moi x
19-Oct-08, 00:31
Paul, John George and James or John George Paul and Pete doesnt have the same ring.Could it have been John, Paul, George and Gleeber? That has a ring to it. :cool:

Love the song TBH.

Moi x

JAWS
19-Oct-08, 01:17
It nearly was John, Paul, George and Pete.

percy toboggan
19-Oct-08, 13:26
Although I heard Ringo on the radio a few days ago i only saw it on tv tonight. It was classic. Somethings really riled him. Hes had 45 years of living a surreal life, at least in terms of our own lives. Hes only human though and it was great to see him cracking up. Peace and love.
Paul, John George and James or John George Paul and Pete doesnt have the same ring.

Wise words gleeber, and well thought out.
Ringo's moniker gave them a little edginess & in the early days kept their noses in front of the competition. There was plenty of it about but quality came to the (fab) fore.
Yes indeed, the Cream rose to the very top - but don't mention Baker, he really was a top drummer.
Not ginger either, apparently.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
02-Nov-08, 21:17
It nearly was John, Paul, George and Pete.

Aye ye awld pudding it nearly was John,Paul,George and Pete.But it wisnae Ringo was the drummer.He can do what he wants.I love their music.Best band ever.Even better than U2.The Beatles two best musicians in ma eyes,Ringo on drums and Paul on bass guitar.The other two were Beatles too,John lyrically was good but musically keich,George strummed like any other guitarist in a band.He did have "Something" about him though.:lol: