PDA

View Full Version : Crippling Radio charges for the RNLI

golach
14-Oct-08, 09:15
The Costs of running radios for the RNLI is going to increase by horrendous amounts, please sign this petition

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/3089310/Radio-charges-may-force-lifeboat-stations-to-close.html

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/RNLI-RF-licences/

pat
14-Oct-08, 09:24
for both oh and myself!! we are volunteers in RNLI shop here and are shocked this is even being thought about.
No public funding goes to the upkeep of the RNLI - it is purely what folk put in the buckets, fund raise, leave in wills etc - for the government to step in to try to take a huge slice of donations to pay for what this government should be paying the entire bill for is criminal.

I was shocked to read this the other day in the paper and was waiting to next meeting to find out what was being done but will happily sign a petition to highlight this silly situation.

joxville
14-Oct-08, 09:29
Thanks for highlighting this Golach. I think it's disgusting that any charity that saves lives should have to pay for a licence. What incensed me even more is the RNLI pays £3 million per year in VAT!

The day will come when they will tax the air we breathe.

northener
14-Oct-08, 09:39
"Ofcom has set out plans to bring "market forces" into maritime and civil aviation communications, in a policy it calls Administered Incentive Pricing or AIP"

I'd like to administer some Administered Repetetive Hard Punches To The Head.

Only some office-bound gutless toady could come out with such arrogant tosh.
AIP my arse, it's just another revenue stream for the Government.

I'd like to see what they'd say if all the volountary rescue services such as the RNLI amd Mountain Rescue groups all jacked it in tomorrow. They (the Government) would have to spend a damn sight more than the revenue they already make off these groups.

Kenn
14-Oct-08, 11:15
As a life long supporter of The RNLI I too am totally disgusted by this and just hope that their charitable status will be taken into consideration before these swinging reforms are introduced.
Whilst appreciating that there needs to be regulation and licencing of the communications such organisations use, putting a price on essential equipment is tantamount to taxing safety.
I just hope that who ever thought this idea up never needs the volunteer emergency services.

Bad Manners
14-Oct-08, 13:50
I find it absurd that they have to pay anything for the use of the radios at all. i have supported RNLI in the past and will continue to do so but I think they shoud be excempt from this silly charge. If not then the insurance companies that the should pay after all without the RNLI they would no doubt have to pay out far more in insurance claims.

Tristan
14-Oct-08, 17:33
This is beyond absurd. I hope this does not go through.

Ricco
14-Oct-08, 19:44
Done and dusted Golach.

golach
15-Oct-08, 21:59
Bump..............

Mik.M.
15-Oct-08, 22:20
Signed it G. Automask prevents me from expressing my true thoughts on this matter. What will the Government think up next?

rockchick
16-Oct-08, 04:54
I've signed it, but not sure if it will do any good. The website says that the petition closed Oct 8th, so I'm a week late. There were only 457 signatures up to that date - which is shocking.

Update: double-checked the date, and the petition is good until Oct. 8, 2009, so everyone still has time to get their name on there!

TRUCKER
16-Oct-08, 06:03
Have signed it golach. Its a disgrace they want to do this. Just hope everyone on the org signs it.

wifie
16-Oct-08, 09:20
Aye c'mon Orgers! Get signing!

SunnyChick
16-Oct-08, 10:49
I've Signed! :)

golach
16-Oct-08, 11:24
Thanks to you all, I see the petition count has risen by approx 200 signatures in 24 hours

pat
16-Oct-08, 14:34
Have sent email to all my friends about this - hopefully they will get a large enough response they may take some notice - come on and sign up please.

Alice in Blunderland
16-Oct-08, 15:39
Signed my name there also. :)

Tighsonas4
16-Oct-08, 21:41
see this as totally ridiculous and a public disgrace have gone thru the process of signing it but my name never came up
is that still ok tony

lynne duncan
16-Oct-08, 21:49
i've signed, whoever sits in the small office and thinks these ridiculous ideas up should be locked in the office and not let out, until they come to their senses or become a nice skeleton

Fly
16-Oct-08, 23:54
I've signed.
Suggest we put the jobsworths who thought up this crap on the Pentland Skerries in a Force 10 gale and forget to call out the lifeboat!!!!http://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon8.gif

rockchick
17-Oct-08, 03:15
see this as totally ridiculous and a public disgrace have gone thru the process of signing it but my name never came up
is that still ok tony
It should send a confirmation email to your email address, and that email will have a link. When you've clicked on that link, your name will be added.

pat
17-Oct-08, 11:10
Yes Fly
I very strongly agree with your comments but why only a Force 10 and what radios they would be useless as they have priced RNLI out of the market, the RNLI by that time will rely on shouts for help only.

Tighsonas4
17-Oct-08, 13:31
Aye c'mon Orgers! Get signing!
only way to get more orgers to sign up is to keep it near the top of the page tony

bluebell
17-Oct-08, 14:10
I've signed, come on all you great orgers get signing

teenybash
17-Oct-08, 16:01
Signed and been confirmed..........We need our RNLI God Bless Them.

hell raizer
17-Oct-08, 17:31
i've signed it also, as my son is on the lifeboat

Tighsonas4
17-Oct-08, 18:00
Signed and been confirmed..........We need our RNLI God Bless Them.
how did you get it confirmed as i signed and it never said anything to show it was going out
will maybe go back and fill it up again tony

justine
17-Oct-08, 18:08
they send you a confirmation email which you then click on the link given and thats you signed.
Me signed up and done.worthy cause.

manic that they pay 48,000 for the use of the airwaves and 3 million for taxes though..and now they want to raise it even more[disgust]

Venture
17-Oct-08, 18:26
I too have now signed the petition. Ridiculous that an organisation involved in saving so many lives should be penalised in this way.[disgust]

Bill Fernie
18-Oct-08, 11:04
Thanks to Golach for contacting me to put this item on the front page and I will do so shortly.

However I have done a little more research into this topic and I feel everyone needs to also go and put in a response to the Ofcom Consultation web site at http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/aip/howtorespond/

The main question in context of charges for charities is Question 6. You need only put in a response in that section once you have compeled your own details to have it included in the reponses. The petition will highlight the problem but a resposnse to the consultation if enough people do so will get included in the official report when it closes at the end of October. If your main interest is to staveoff charges and get a 100% waiver for these new charges for RNLI then go and sayso. However it should be oted there aother lifeboat organisations that run possibly only one boat. I have added my contribuions and it reads as follows -

Bill Fernie's Response at The Ofcom Consultation Web Site
I consider that 100% discount should be applied to any charitable group that is involved in the saving of lives. In the UK we are in the unique position of having vital life saving services provided at little or no expense to the taxpayer or the government.

Given that the money raised for many lifeboat and rescue organisations including RNLI but also many smaller ones is reliant on donations from the public and other organisations it does not seem fitting to add to the burdens by placing additional charges from government no matter how reasonable this may seem to officials.

The amount can be calculated as for other bodies but then should be waived with a 100% reduction.

There can be no place for adding to the burdens of running a life saving organisation that is funded mainly via donations. This can only threaten the viability of such organisations and for smaller ones mean they become unviable and be forced to cease their good work and the selfless donation of time and risking of lives to save others.

It will be a very sad day for almost everyone who has ever donated to organisations that use the airwaves as part of their operation to save lives that the government would on behalf of the people of the United Kingdom agree to bring in additional burdensome charges unless also accompanied by a 100% waiver for charitable institutions.

I am totally in favour of a 100% discount for charities and the legislation should be written to ensure that the charges are waived and also that the regulations should be simple and straight forward or them to interpret and not be accompanied by a huge amount of administrative paperwork to gain the discount.
End

Adding Your Voice To The Consultation Web Site
I think everyone who signed the petition at the Downing Street site should also go and fill in their views at Question 6 of the consultation. You can do so on a page on the site or by email or in writing. The online page is the easiest. Start Here - http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/aip/howtorespond/
All of the consultation documents are also available to read from that page.

Nearly everyone in the country has at some time or other donated to Lifeboat charities and especially RNLI and if we can get as many people as possible to put their views forward to the consultation as well as sign the petition it has a very good chance of success I believe. We must give a clear message to Ofcom via their web site so that they make it clear in their final recommendations to government that there is very good case for meither making a complete exemption or at the very least givng a 100% discount if the charges require for technical reasons to be calculated.

Tighsonas4
18-Oct-08, 19:18
have completed the number one questionaire and it keeps saying
please enter a valid email adress ionly have one tony

badger
18-Oct-08, 19:28
Wonder if it ever occurred to them that without voluntary bodies they would have to pay companies to rescue people. Typical of this govt. - act first, think (maybe) later.

Tighsonas4
18-Oct-08, 19:33
i have tried bills no one questionare and have also used golachs initial one
and all i can get is invalid email address
i only have have the one tony

silverfox57
18-Oct-08, 20:45
having just signed petition,hope they re think as are more concerned about bankers getting there bonus's of £10000. than men risking there lives to save lives,

Tighsonas4
18-Oct-08, 21:29
HOORAY thats it done and dusted now after much perseverance
the whole issue was making more determined tony
thanks golach tried to find you but you were out t

JAWS
19-Oct-08, 01:51
Signed. Thanks for pointing this out, Golach.

Ofcom said it was "inviting views on whether charities whose objective is the safety of human life in an emergency should receive a discount"

I had to read that twice. Do they really want to hear views on their crass stupidity? I don't think I would dare give them my views because I would probably end up in serious trouble.

The object of the exercise is obviously to get as many organisations as possible to give up their frequencies so they can be sold off to the highest bidder. After the 22 billion the Government made selling of the third generation mobile phone frequencies there must be a huge temptation to try something similar again.

northener
19-Oct-08, 11:03
Well said Jaws.

Haven't really got anything to add......

Tristan
19-Oct-08, 11:21
Signed. Thanks for pointing this out, Golach.

Ofcom said it was "inviting views on whether charities whose objective is the safety of human life in an emergency should receive a discount"

It is a bit of shock that they are only talking about a discount for those who save human lives, unless they are offering a 100% discount - For groups like the RNLI there should be no charge.

SeaEagle
19-Oct-08, 14:01
I signed the petition when I first read this thread and I thank you Golach for bringing this to the attention of the Org. I have also, thanks to the information from Bill, completed a response on the Ofcom site. Of course this is all about money and not efficiency. Those with the wad of cash will be the winners as usual and as a result, the lives of rescuers as well as the rescued, will be put at risk.

As an aside. As a former lurker I thank you all for your past discussions, tiffs, photographs etc. I have enjoyed them all immensely, but I suppose that now I have come out from under my stone I will have to become part of the online family. And what a lovely family it is! :)

silverfox57
19-Oct-08, 14:23
I signed the petition when I first read this thread and I thank you Golach for bringing this to the attention of the Org. I have also, thanks to the information from Bill, completed a response on the Ofcom site. Of course this is all about money and not efficiency. Those with the wad of cash will be the winners as usual and as a result, the lives of rescuers as well as the rescued, will be put at risk.

As an aside. As a former lurker I thank you all for your past discussions, tiffs, photographs etc. I have enjoyed them all immensely, but I suppose that now I have come out from under my stone I will have to become part of the online family. And what a lovely family it is! :)

welcome to the mad house,sea eagle,hope you enjoy posting,:lol:

Dusty
19-Oct-08, 22:28
I have signed both petitions and have forwarded details to several persons in my personal and works contacts list to spread the word.

As an ex Merchant Seaman, I have always admired the RNLI crews for their bravery and professionalism as I do all other volunteer and professional rescue groups.

To require part of what is donated to these charitable organisations for the operation of essential equipment beggars belief and is nothing short of a disgusting proposition by a morally bankrupt set of individuals.

Phill
19-Oct-08, 22:36
Another Charity based group of rescuers:

Mountain Rescue Teams.

Apart from a handful of RAF teams most MRT's are like the RNLI, volunteers!
And they cover lowlands and flatlands too.
Again radio communications are of life saving importance.

Same basic issues and their petition is here:

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/MRT-RF-licences/

Dusty
19-Oct-08, 22:44
Have signed the Moutain Rescue petition as well Phill.

JAWS
20-Oct-08, 17:21
It is a bit of shock that they are only talking about a discount for those who save human lives, unless they are offering a 100% discount - For groups like the RNLI there should be no charge.
Whilst Mobile Phone Frequencies are obviously on a different scale to what is being proposed, or I assume they are, the Government made over 22 billion, yes billion, pounds form the auction.

I would think that the current intentions are on nothing like that scale but you can see why a Government can be tempted by the idea.
I would think that the intention is to charge such organisations an annual fee for a licence to use such frequencies so this would be a recurring cost on them.

Metalattakk
21-Oct-08, 13:20
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/21/ofcom_clarification/

Ofcom sets the story straight. According to the article, Ofcom says that the RNLI have got their numbers wrong, and they would actually end up paying less than they do now.

Nice to see some facts on the story, rather than the usual knee-jerk reactions on here. :roll:

golach
21-Oct-08, 14:10
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/21/ofcom_clarification/

Ofcom sets the story straight. According to the article, Ofcom says that the RNLI have got their numbers wrong, and they would actually end up paying less than they do now.

Nice to see some facts on the story, rather than the usual knee-jerk reactions on here. :roll:
Your informant should keep to his stories see this article of his dated 10/10/08 he even mentions the RNLI plight. Having read some of his works, I think this guy is a bit of a "Cherry Picker".

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/10/mountain_rescue_radio/

Metalattakk
21-Oct-08, 14:32
Are you refuting the validity of his information, or merely slagging off his journalistic ethics?

wifie
21-Oct-08, 14:36
Sorry cannot resist - no harm meant here! Journalistic and ethics - same sentence! [lol]

Dusty
23-Oct-08, 19:13
I see that an Early Day Motion has been raised in Parliament.

Perhaps we should write to our MPs to sign up to it!

http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMDetails.aspx?EDMID=36641&SESSION=891

Dusty
25-Oct-08, 20:35
I wrote to my MP and received the following reply:
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc110/sherpa42/MC.jpg

Dusty
20-Aug-09, 13:36
I received the following from my MP today.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc110/sherpa42/Untitled-Scanned-01.jpg

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc110/sherpa42/Untitled-Scanned-02.jpg

Gene Hunt
20-Aug-09, 13:47
I received the following from my MP today.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc110/sherpa42/Untitled-Scanned-01.jpg

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc110/sherpa42/Untitled-Scanned-02.jpg

Your MP moves quick doesnt he, only took him 10 months to write back to you !!

These charges are a disgrace, the Goverment is also looking at Aviation Freqs and NAVAIDS as mentioned in the letter, they are just trying to raise money anyway they can.

Must be because Pikey's have started stealing ILS aerials, and other NAVAID kit for the metal .. ;)

Phill
20-Aug-09, 13:56
Must be because Pikey's have started stealing ILS aerials, and other NAVAID kit for the metal .. ;)

Nah mate, needed one to get freeview. But it's a bit top heavy, me caravan keeps keeling over!

Dusty
20-Aug-09, 14:10
Your MP moves quick doesnt he, only took him 10 months to write back to you !!

To be fair to him Gene, my MP contacted me fairly soon after I first wrote to him. He expressed empathy with my point of view, included a copy of Offcom's reply to his initial query and committed to update me when he had any information.
As you can see, Offcom replied to him on the 13th and I received a copy from my MP on the 20th. I don't think that's too bad.

buddyrich
20-Aug-09, 14:17
Surely they'd not do something so stupid as to put lifeboat stations on the same footing as commercial radio stations. I'd be surprised if it actually goes through but i'll sign 'er just in case.

Phill
20-Aug-09, 14:50
Surely they'd not do something so stupid

Governments and money! Oh boy, stupidity knows no bounds!

:eek:

seadog
20-Aug-09, 21:13
I have also signed Golach. A disgrace that they should be charging for this.[disgust]