PDA

View Full Version : Porridge.

TRUCKER
14-Oct-08, 06:03
I see that a scot won the world porridge making contest. I wonder nowadays how many people like porridge. I like mine with a sprinkling of sugar on top.

joxville
14-Oct-08, 06:48
Can't stand the stuff-forced to eat it as a kid. Gives me the boak.

Lavenderblue2
14-Oct-08, 07:17
I make my porridge with half pin head oatmeal and half fine oatmeal.

I love mine with a dash of single cream and Caithness honey mmmm delicious.

golach
14-Oct-08, 08:54
I take mine daily with a sprinkle of salt, great for cutting down cholesterol

Gizmo
14-Oct-08, 08:56
I'ts like eating liquidised wet cardboard with a dash of wallpaper paste....yuk!

Dorrie
14-Oct-08, 08:59
I used to make it with milk and put sugar in it. :)

Now I use oatmeal only, no milk, sugar or salt. But I do like to add some nuts and fruit. :)

Venture
14-Oct-08, 09:02
I make mine with fine oatmeal. I like it with salt sprinkled on top. I don't like milk poured over it. I like my milk freezing cold in a little bowl along side then take a spoonful of hot porridge and dip it in the milk to cool before eating.;)

northener
14-Oct-08, 09:29
My favourite mix is 25% porridge, 75% Golden Syrup:Razz

pat
14-Oct-08, 09:33
make mine usually with a little salt, just before serving add some cream and stir well, once on the table honey and fresh berries with a dollop of double cream added - only way I will eat it.
Have most of my guests if they have porridge onto this way - they love it.

joxville
14-Oct-08, 09:35
My favourite mix is take one pack of oatmeal, add 1 egg, 3 bacon rashers, 1 tomato, 2 sausages, some mushrooms, 2 slice of black pudding.

Throw oatmeal in the bin. Fry the eggs and mushrooms, grill everything else. [lol]

Alice in Blunderland
14-Oct-08, 09:43
I like my porridge to be salty. The kids have been influenced by my dad and sprinkle sugar on it. :D

Torvaig
14-Oct-08, 10:22
make mine usually with a little salt, just before serving add some cream and stir well, once on the table honey and fresh berries with a dollop of double cream added - only way I will eat it.
Have most of my guests if they have porridge onto this way - they love it.

Stand by for a lot of bookings from orgers who like their porridge that way; me first! ;)

Tilter
14-Oct-08, 10:39
Oh it's truly disgusting stuff (imho of course). Also, the Scots try to sneak it into other recipes, e.g., raspberry cranachan. :)

It's Marmite on toast for me any day.

mccaugm
14-Oct-08, 10:47
Porridge...I did it my way....

Fair puckle of porridge oats
Couple of teaspoons of sweetner
Some skimmed milk
Good stir

Microwave for 4 minutes till its really firm

Puckle of berries e.g. blackberries, raspberries etc....

Wonderful....:)

Gizmo
14-Oct-08, 11:03
Oh it's truly disgusting stuff (imho of course). Also, the Scots try to sneak it into other recipes, e.g., raspberry cranachan. :)

Oh the irony!...:lol:

Kevin Milkins
14-Oct-08, 11:05

Did I read it or dream it that Marmite has been taken off school menus?

badger
14-Oct-08, 11:33

It's delicious !! Pinch of salt, small spoonful of sugar, proper big oats not that powdery stuff (Tesco do a lovely one with fruit). Put in bowl, pour on enough boiling water to be absorbed then add milk and microwave, stirring when it rises up. Keep adding milk when stirring until it's really creamy. Doing it in the microwave saves washing saucepan and makes sure the bowl is hot. Nothing worse than cold porridge.

mccaugm
14-Oct-08, 12:38
Did I read it or dream it that Marmite has been taken off school menus?

Heard that somewhere, its because its too salty...have to agree with this. Kids eat enough junk with added salt, sugar and other nasty additives that not giving them Marmite is cool with me.

Mind you the thought of adding salt to porridge makes me want to be sick.

grumpy1
14-Oct-08, 12:50
yuk yuk yuk yuk yukyuk yuk yuk....think that sums up what i think of porridge..give me a bowl of special k any day yum yum[lol]

CorneliusC
14-Oct-08, 12:55
Proper oats, simmered very gently (at least 15-20 minutes) with semi-skimmed milk, served with fresh cream and a drizzle of golden syrup (or demerara sugar if I'm out of syrup). Lovely stuff.

Buttercup
14-Oct-08, 13:01
Stir one measure medium oatmeal into same measure of cold water. Add two measures boiling water and one teaspoon salt. Bring to boil then simmer for about 8 minutes. Pour into bowls. Serve with a separate bowl on ice cold ½ single cream and ½ milk mix. Delicious! :)

wifie
14-Oct-08, 16:41
Mmmmmmmmmmm porridge! Like it plain made wi half and half milk and water - milk poured over to serve. For a treat cream and brown sugar on top! :)

mccaugm
14-Oct-08, 19:40
Porridge seems to give you choices

1. Eat with salt - raise blood pressure
2. Eat with sugar - blood pressure stable, teeth rotten
3. Eat with syrup and other sticky preserves - teeth rotten and weight gain
4. Eat with fresh fruit, sweetener and skimmed milk - no weight gain, no raised blood pressure, good skin etc....healthy all round.

I know which one I choose....

Angela
14-Oct-08, 19:52

So it does, mccaugm!

I eat porridge every night for supper. When my Good Angel's in the ascendent I choose it plain (microwaved with semi skimmed milk) with raspberries...mmmmmm:D

....but on the days my Bad Angel takes control it just has to be with syrup....followed by a bit of extra tooth brushing.....;)

Fluff
14-Oct-08, 19:53
I take the easy route, scots so easy, in the pan, takes 5 mins, use semi skimmed milk. I like mine with sugar, OH likes honey.
yummy

Weetabix had a range out a couple of years ago with baked apple and cinnamon. it was lovley, can't find it any more now.

northener
14-Oct-08, 21:40

You pervert.

Marmite is only useful for deterring burglars from shinning up drainpipes.

wifie
14-Oct-08, 22:41

1. Eat with salt - raise blood pressure
2. Eat with sugar - blood pressure stable, teeth rotten
3. Eat with syrup and other sticky preserves - teeth rotten and weight gain
4. Eat with fresh fruit, sweetener and skimmed milk - no weight gain, no raised blood pressure, good skin etc....healthy all round.

I know which one I choose....

Hmmm depends what is in yer sweetner!

George Brims
14-Oct-08, 23:57
I take the easy route, scots so easy, in the pan, takes 5 mins, use semi skimmed milk. I like mine with sugar, OH likes honey.
yummy

Weetabix had a range out a couple of years ago with baked apple and cinnamon. it was lovley, can't find it any more now.
That Scott's stuff is so tasteless though, compared to making it with proper oatmeal. They toast it to make it cook quick, and that destroys the flavour. Probably some of the nutritional value too. Over here in the US I get this Irish pinhead oatmeal that comes in a tin. It's the only decent porridge to be had. Otherwise it's Quaker Oats (more rolled, pre-toasted rubbish). As for all the pre-flavoured kind, I regard that the same way a true coffee drinker regards all those frou-frou drinks they make at Starbucks.

hotrod4
15-Oct-08, 07:06
I HATE sugar on Porridge!.
It has to be salty, soaked the night before and slowly simmered.
Served with creamy full fat milk on the top and wait for "the little Islands" to appear!!!. :)

My mum used to keep her milk in a cup and dip the spoon of porridge into it. When she had finsished eating she would then drink the milk.

Porridge has gone all "trendy" with different toppings etc, I like it plain.
Still remember reading "the broons" and when Ma Broon was at the but n ben she would pour the leftovers into a drawer and the bairns would eat it later as a snack!!!! THATS Porridge for ye!

Tilter
15-Oct-08, 20:08
You pervert.

Marmite is only useful for deterring burglars from shinning up drainpipes.

Not true Northerner. Marmite is food of the gods, regardless of what Kevin's saying. I bet you're a secret Bovril perv. Now that stuff would stop those drainpipe-scaling criminals in no time at all.

Whitewater
15-Oct-08, 23:55
Marmite is horrible stuff, once had a marmite sandwich, gave it to the dog, the poor dog tried to eat the bread and leave the marmite. Both the dog and I like our porridge although the dog always wants honey on his, I've now tried the runny honey myself, really good, that dog has good taste.

hotrod4
17-Oct-08, 06:53
Not true Northerner. Marmite is food of the gods, regardless of what Kevin's saying. I bet you're a secret Bovril perv. Now that stuff would stop those drainpipe-scaling criminals in no time at all.

Bovril is the stuff men drink!!!!!
Just one whiff of the yeasty/beefy aroma and visions of standing on the terraces with a pie in the other hand comes flooding back.

Marmite is for "Modern men" who wear pink,think Gok Wan is a god and claim to be "in touch with their feminine side" while taking puppies for a walk on a piece of string while skipping through the daisies!!!!! ;)

(can you tell that I dont like Marmite!!) :)

brokencross
17-Oct-08, 07:05
My favourite mix is 25% porridge, 75% Golden Syrup:Razz

Not quite in those proportions, but that really is the way to make porridge fandabbydozey.

Tilter
17-Oct-08, 10:13
Bovril is the stuff men drink!!!!!
Just one whiff of the yeasty/beefy aroma and visions of standing on the terraces with a pie in the other hand comes flooding back.

Marmite is for "Modern men" who wear pink,think Gok Wan is a god and claim to be "in touch with their feminine side" while taking puppies for a walk on a piece of string while skipping through the daisies!!!!! ;)

(can you tell that I dont like Marmite!!) :)

You might be right there hotrod. OH eats Bovril and won't touch Marmite. It must be a girlie thing. Although I have to say Vegemite is truly for wimps and real women wouldn't touch it.

hotrod4
17-Oct-08, 17:21
You might be right there hotrod. OH eats Bovril and won't touch Marmite. It must be a girlie thing. Although I have to say Vegemite is truly for wimps and real women wouldn't touch it.

Bought Bovril for the first time in ages and wooo its still awesome!. Its a smell that you never forget.
First time I ever heard of vegemite was on that song "Down Under" by Men at Work when he sings "He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich"!!!

Julia
17-Oct-08, 18:41
Old fashioned porridge oats, cooked in milk with a pinch of salt, served with a moat of milk round the bowl and sugar on top, yum!

Tilter
17-Oct-08, 21:02
Bought Bovril for the first time in ages and wooo its still awesome!. Its a smell that you never forget.
First time I ever heard of vegemite was on that song "Down Under" by Men at Work when he sings "He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich"!!!

I remember that song. What is in that bowl on your avatar? It doesn't look like porridge (hey, no one can accuse me of going off-topic...........)

northener
18-Oct-08, 01:55
...........What is in that bowl on your avatar? It doesn't look like porridge (hey, no one can accuse me of going off-topic...........)

He's an ex-army cook ;), don't ask him whats in it, you really won't like the answer.:Razz

And Vegemite is only for gay aussies.......

sassylass
18-Oct-08, 02:19
For the best porridge: soak overnight, simmer in the morning with a pinch of salt, add glug of cream and a good stir mmmm

Tristan
18-Oct-08, 09:49
I prefer my porridge sweet rather than salty.

helenwyler
18-Oct-08, 11:28
I like a tiny pinch of salt added whilst cooking, and sugar, or fruit, or treacle added after, because that's how my Caithness-descended Dad used to make it. Oh and the moat of milk too:).

I have Swiss relations, and they do a nice breakfast with oats. I'll post it in the recipe section.

hotrod4
19-Oct-08, 12:45
He's an ex-army cook ;), don't ask him whats in it, you really won't like the answer.

And Vegemite is only for gay aussies.......

Only you can make "cook" a derogatory term Mr Northerner!! :)
Wee up lad wait till I get my flatcap on and take t'whippet for a walk down t'pit!!! ;)

hotrod4
19-Oct-08, 12:46
I remember that song. What is in that bowl on your avatar? It doesn't look like porridge (hey, no one can accuse me of going off-topic...........)

Its a bowl of minging goulash that is way past its sell by date!!! ;)

northener
19-Oct-08, 14:24
Only you can make "cook" a derogatory term Mr Northerner!!
Wee up lad wait till I get my flatcap on and take t'whippet for a walk down t'pit!!!

I was beginning to think you were deliberatly ignoring that one. :D

I know how much Forces cookies hate being called 'cook' as opposed to 'chef'. The RN's the same...

Looking at your new avatar, have you been making sausages?

hotrod4
19-Oct-08, 15:02

I know how much Forces cookies hate being called 'cook' as opposed to 'chef'. The RN's the same...

Believe me i have been called alot worse than cook!!!!

Slop jockey, cabbage Mechanic, Fitter and turner (fit it in a sauce pan and turn it into ****)
That last one is a particular non-favourite of mine [lol]

Its not a sausage its actually a slug but it does resemble something equally unpleasant!! ;)

hotrod4
19-Oct-08, 15:03

Why would registered nurses object to being called a cook????? ;)

Tilter
19-Oct-08, 15:25
Is there a competition for most disgusting avatar? (Lucky old me, I'm too stupid to have made one up for myself.)

hotrod4
19-Oct-08, 15:27
Is there a competition for most disgusting avatar? (Lucky old me, I'm too stupid to have made one up for myself.)

What? You dont like my slug?
Are you slugist? [lol]

Tilter
19-Oct-08, 15:41
Are you slugist? [lol]

Totally. They are disgusting creatures - I can't stand them - I hate them - they give me the willies. And they're probably all terrorists.

youoldduffer
19-Oct-08, 22:53
What? You dont like my slug?
Are you slugist? [lol]

WOT thats a slug, Jebus its time for glasses:D cause a slug is not wot i thought it was:eek:

northener
19-Oct-08, 23:02
Totally. They are disgusting creatures - I can't stand them - I hate them - they give me the willies. And they're probably all terrorists.

It's comments like this that cause social unrest.

I'd be careful Tilter, you may end up with a mob of enraged slugs outside your house. If you see them coming up the road carrying burning torches and pitchforks you'll only have about 48 hours in which to leg it........

Click here to see an alien slug invasion.........http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-5Kp7LrguE&feature=related

Tilter
20-Oct-08, 01:02
It's comments like this that cause social unrest.

I'd be careful Tilter, you may end up with a mob of enraged slugs outside your house. If you see them coming up the road carrying burning torches and pitchforks you'll only have about 48 hours in which to leg it........

Click here to see an alien slug invasion.........http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-5Kp7LrguE&feature=related

I'm laying in a few bags of salt when I go shopping tomorrow.

Oh and thanks for the video of a cute slug. I was afraid to open it in case it was nightmare material.

arana negra
20-Oct-08, 10:37
When I was wee, (years ago in all senses ) my mother MADE me eat the vile stuff ! I much preferred my dads pease meal brose :) he was a meal miller and new his oatmeals well. Always complained after he left the business that all oatmeal was now full of 'tae nails' as he called it (husks) he had a devil of a job finding good meal, none of this porridge oats muck he would say had to be proper oatmeal.

My mother (again) told me that to want sugar on my porridge was :eek: shock horror 'English' (looks around for the devil and promises to wash my mouth out ) not SCOTTISH It was the ONLY way I could eat the vile stuff with a layer of sugar each time, it would be cold be time I had finished it and I would feel so sick setting off for school.

Have not tried it in years and feel no compulsion to do so either, whether it has sugar or salt, english way or scottish it can and will STAY on the shelves for people who don't like marmite :lol: hmmmm hot buttered toast and a scraping of the lovely stuff.

northener
20-Oct-08, 12:31
When I was wee, (years ago in all senses ) my mother MADE me eat the vile stuff ! .............

Wot!:eek: Oh, I thought you meant slugs......