PDA

View Full Version : chicken pudding

router
13-Oct-08, 15:50
for something different and filling,try this one.takes a while but well worth it.serves two as a main meal or 4 with rice and or veg or whatever you fancy.

for the filling

2lb boneless chicken,cubed
1oz well seaoned plain flour
olive oil
bunch of spring onions chopped
2" piece of root ginger grated
juice and grated rind of one lemon
2oz fresh coriander chopped
2 cloves of garlic course chopped
soy sauce 1tbl spoon

for the dough

6oz sr flour
6oz fresh breadcrumbs white or brown(browns nicer more filling)
6oz frozen grated butter or suet (again more filling)
1egg beaten and topped up to 6fl oz with water
salt and pepper
paprika tbl spoon
3-4 pinch of cayenne pepper

2lb buttered pudding basin
large pot to suit basin

method

roll chicken in seasoned flour and brown in olive oil leave to cool,to make dough mix dry ingredients then butter pour in egg water mix fork together to a soft dough.line basin with dough saving a third for the top don't worry if it breaks it's easy to patch it up.
take cooked chicken mix with other ingredients for the filling,put this in buttered basin and top off with the saved dough, crimp edges
take piece of greaseproof paper coat with butter and fold a pleat across the middle put this over pudding and tie with string to form a neat cover,do same with tin foil,tie also.
put in large pan fill to 2/3 up the bowl with boiling water and cover,simmer for 21/2 hours keep an eye on water level during cooking.

take care when removing from pan as it's heavy and hot(i broke the our ceramic hob after dropping one of these)
remove string paper and foil turn upside down on a plate and remove bowl,should slip out no problems.
serve and enjoy.

floyed
15-Oct-08, 11:57
Is this quite a spicy dish???

justine
15-Oct-08, 13:22
No i can say that it is not hot spicy, but the flavourings of the ginger tend to stand out. You can releave this by adding a different amount of the ginger and lemon juice. We have had our disagreements on how much lemon juice to add, i think the more the better but he likes it lemon mild with a lot of ginger.

If you make this with a juicy lemon only use half the lemon juice, but it is down to trial and error and it is down to the cook to make it to their own tastes, but highly recommended, especially if you want a full meal .Its heavy on the stomach and dont recommend anything with it. but i hearty chunk of this will keep you going for ages.