PDA

View Full Version : stack at the harbour

brandy
10-Oct-08, 15:46
anyone know what they are doing to it? fiing it or taking it down? im hoping for taking it down myself *G* but would like to know one way or the other. keep looking at them on top of it everytime i leave the house *G*

plumber
10-Oct-08, 15:52
Word on here last week was its coming down

Kevin Milkins
10-Oct-08, 16:59
A video clip of whats going on.

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=SMOV0004.flv (http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm196/kevinmilkins/?action=view&current=SMOV0004.flv)

Murdina Bug
10-Oct-08, 17:15
Ah, now I see why it is going to take so long! One mannie and a mallet - they should have closed the road for a month!:lol: Good clip Kevin.

trix
10-Oct-08, 17:22
am kwite sad that its cumin doon :(

i ken, i ken, health an' safety an all 'at crap....but i feel that its a part o' wur history, its been ayre a long time an no doin any herm, weel, apart fie crumblin....

i mind when i wis a little lascie i wis oot a walk wi ma faither an he telt me til stand up against'ed wi ma airms wrapped roond'ed.

when i looked up it wis lek it wis fallen doon cos 'e clouds were movin fast....prity scary min :eek:

il never forget at.....

its also featured in alot o' ma dreams so for some funny reason i feel kwite attached til 'e auld chimney :confused

brandy
11-Oct-08, 11:37
what is the history behind it?

TRUCKER
11-Oct-08, 13:04
Its was the chimney for the old power station.

hotrod4
11-Oct-08, 13:04
It is actually a transponder for contacting aliens, but seeing as they are already here there is no longer a need for it!! ;)

Seabird
11-Oct-08, 13:50
I was looking at the stack on Tuesday from the Pilot House.
You could see daylight through the top part of the stack.
A good strong blow would probably brought part of the top down.
I suspect they are just making it safe.
How far down they are going to do that, is anyones guess.

Colin

lynne duncan
11-Oct-08, 15:35
thats going to be a soul destroying job, would have thought that in this day and age they would be able to find a quicker way to complete the job

2little2late
11-Oct-08, 15:40
At least they're using a sledge hammer on it.

Obviously the cheaper version of demolition.
They should have tied a huge chain around it and used Simpson's giant crane to pull the chain. They could go up the hill because it is closed anyway.

brandy
11-Oct-08, 18:16
im guessing they didnt blow it because of all the saftey issues. and where the rubble may fall... but that is only a guess.

Tighsonas4
11-Oct-08, 19:25
am kwite sad that its cumin doon :(

i ken, i ken, health an' safety an all 'at crap....but i feel that its a part o' wur history, its been ayre a long time an no doin any herm, weel, apart fie crumblin....

i mind when i wis a little lascie i wis oot a walk wi ma faither an he telt me til stand up against'ed wi ma airms wrapped roond'ed.

when i looked up it wis lek it wis fallen doon cos 'e clouds were movin fast....prity scary min :eek:

il never forget at.....

its also featured in alot o' ma dreams so for some funny reason i feel kwite attached til 'e auld chimney :confused
e sure must have long arms lol tony

Fran
12-Oct-08, 01:51
It was in the paper that it is being knocked down brick by brick and will take some months (more like years). It states it is too dangerous to blow up. I was noticing on Kevins film that there is also a man up a ladder round the side, a bit dangerous with bricks falling down.

Kevin Milkins
12-Oct-08, 06:00
It was in the paper that it is being knocked down brick by brick and will take some months (more like years). It states it is too dangerous to blow up. I was noticing on Kevins film that there is also a man up a ladder round the side, a bit dangerous with bricks falling down.

Its not a ladder Fran, its a telescopic loader and the bit that looks like a man is the final extention....:eek: Does anyone remember when it was in use last and what did it generate power for?:confused

hotrod4
12-Oct-08, 06:11
Thanks for the video clip kevin.
It was weird to hear your welsh accent giving a comment, normally when I have seen a "week" video theres always a mannie with a broad week accent!!!! Keep up the good work.

Its a pity I dont know anything about the stack but I am sure "our local mannie" Ian Sutherland would be able to fill us all in on it.

trinkie
12-Oct-08, 10:51
I've just found out that the chimney was built in the early 1930s. It was part of the new extension to increase the output of electricity to a large area of Wick .
The original building was the lower section standing in the middle of the new buildings.

What a sight that must have been at the time. I grew up with it every day, and often played around there. I remember a huge hot boiler at the back where we used to cook our herring when we played at the Brae - I suppose that boiler was part of the Power Station ?

Cheerio Chimbley.
Trinkie

domino
12-Oct-08, 18:19
That boiler could get really hot. Did you gut your herring with your fingers? We did!!

Mosser
13-Oct-08, 15:48
what is the history behind it?

The power Station was built by Wick Town Council in 1928 to supply the town with the new fangled electricity, in the firstperiod to May 1929 revenue was £868 this increased rapidly and by 1932 it was £6249 and the Station was greatly enlarged. there were negotiations to supply power to Thurso, I don't know if this ever came to fruition.

Mosser

cd1977
13-Oct-08, 16:06
"It was in the paper that it is being knocked down brick by brick and will take some months (more like years). It states it is too dangerous to blow up. I was noticing on Kevins film that there is also a man up a ladder round the side, a bit dangerous with bricks falling down."

Surely they are dropping the bricks down the inside, rather than raining them down randomly? [disgust]

Kevin Milkins
13-Oct-08, 17:57
They seem to be making better progress that I first imagined with the demolition of the old chimney stack.:Razz On the first clip a couple of posters have remarked about a man up a ladder.:eek: It isnt a ladder its a telescopic loader and what looks like a man is the last extention.
I have posted another clip as an update, or downdate.lol

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm196/kevinmilkins/?action=view&current=Chimenyupdate.flv

bonami
13-Oct-08, 21:03
I remember a story when I was a bairn that there was a man ether injured or killed I suppose when this chimney was built story was that his tools were still up there (that would be childrens imagination). I seem to remember that this man was supposed to have lived in Breadalbane. Does any one know if there was any truth in this story or was it just bairns tales?.

northener
13-Oct-08, 22:02
It would be difficult to drop the stack by blowing it up. Apart from not really having a safe area to drop it into, the stack is clearly made of re-enforced concrete. This means that it wouldn't shatter into small pieces.

So the only option is to hammer it down....but I'd like to blow it up........

trinkie
14-Oct-08, 07:51
Thank you for the pictures - I hope it all comes down safely.

But what a sad sight, especially for those on the Wick side, for withoot doot, they have the better view! Looking over at the skyline of Pultney.

brokencross
14-Oct-08, 08:18
kevin, thanks for the update video.

If you are standing in the same place for each video the lampost on the left hand side is a rough guide as to progress. I played both vids side by side (how sad am I??)

Kevin Milkins
14-Oct-08, 10:38
kevin, thanks for the update video.

If you are standing in the same place for each video the lampost on the left hand side is a rough guide as to progress. I played both vids side by side (how sad am I??)

Thats a good idea with the lampost brokencross. I will make better refferance to it on the next update .:Razz Regards KM

northener
14-Oct-08, 21:30
Thats a good idea with the lampost brokencross. I will make better refferance to it on the next update .:Razz Regards KM

You'd better hurry up then, Kev They're fair cracking along (or down) with it now!

Kevin Milkins
15-Oct-08, 15:52
Rain and wind stoped work when I went along to have a look today ,but they are making good progress and if the weather stays kind they should finish on time.:)

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm196/kevinmilkins/?action=view&current=ChimneyUpdate15-10-08.flv

brokencross
25-Oct-08, 12:56
Is it down yet, yea or nay?

peedie man
25-Oct-08, 15:53
yea...............its gone

trix
25-Oct-08, 15:58
e sure must have long arms lol tony

long enuf'l gie ye a poke in 'e eye - durin yer efternoon seista [lol]

Fran
26-Oct-08, 02:35
Well done to our newsman Kevin, enjoyed your films of the stack being "removed".

Kevin Milkins
26-Oct-08, 16:29
Photo bucket does not want to let me copy a video clip so a still will have to do.:confused
They have got on well and considering all us doubting Thomases said it would take untill next year at the rate they started the job, they have done very well to complete the task as quick as they have.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm196/kevinmilkins/10_26_12.jpg

Kevin Milkins
26-Oct-08, 16:36
Its hard now to see where the chimney once stood , but at the foot of the line going down the wall you can see the last remains of it.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm196/kevinmilkins/10_26_11.jpg

brokencross
26-Oct-08, 19:22
Thanks for the info and the photographs.

hotrod4
26-Oct-08, 19:39
Many thanks for all you've done on this my welsh buddie!.
Now that its gone what is your next journalistic project?
I for one wait with baited breath.

brokencross
27-Oct-08, 09:45
Looking at the first photograph on the Wick side between from the left of the flag pole to the lamp post.

When I was little my Granny lived in Willowbank and from her back garden down to the "cliff" edge and the path there were no houses, it was all plots. I spent many a happy day playing around there. Anyone else remember that wide open space before it became developed.

Tighsonas4
27-Oct-08, 22:27
yes i stayed in willowbank for a time and had one or two plots there
everything home grown great gone are the days tony