PDA

View Full Version : Old chimney

TRUCKER
05-Oct-08, 08:09
I see by the local newspaper that the old power station chimney at the harbour is going to be taken down.

brokencross
05-Oct-08, 08:29
Brick by brick or blown up.

TRUCKER
05-Oct-08, 09:14
Brick by brick.

brokencross
05-Oct-08, 12:13
Best start at the top then??!!

Tighsonas4
05-Oct-08, 12:55
they have the right firm alongside it to get to the top [lol] tony

Torvaig
05-Oct-08, 13:34
Are some of you who are sentimental going to acquire some of the bricks as souvenirs? Build a barbeque for next year maybe.....;)

johno
05-Oct-08, 13:57
i always thought that chimney was concrete made by a rolling shutter
but i could be wrong..?

Tristan
05-Oct-08, 14:02
It is time it came down but it is/was an interesting marker in the harbour.

Torvaig
05-Oct-08, 16:52
i always thought that chimney was concrete made by a rolling shutter
but i could be wrong..?

That'll be a big brick then....;)

dirdyweeker
06-Oct-08, 00:44
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm163/dirdyweeker/SV101972.jpg

thought I'd best go today and take some photos of this landmark before it disappears.
This is a view from above the brae

brokencross
06-Oct-08, 07:08
Thanks for that Dirdyweeker, never tire of a sea view; looks like a nice day as well.

Passed close by off Wick once on a tanker and I remember taking a bearing of the chimney, easier to see than the lighthouse when you are a few miles off. (No need any more with all the satnav stuff)

catnip
06-Oct-08, 21:07
I got Snarfer to go and take some pics this morning as I had to go to work. I am feeling a bit sad, have grown up and still live beside the brae and I must say feeling a bit sentimental about it comming down. A very close relation of mine helped to build it and fell off and broke all of his ribs, so is the story that my dear late dad used to tell me !

Bye Bye chimney :~(

sassylass
07-Oct-08, 01:21
snip A very close relation of mine helped to build it and fell off and broke all of his ribs, so is the story that my dear late dad used to tell me ! snip

omg catnip, that must have hurt! :~(

Rheghead
07-Oct-08, 04:43
I got Snarfer to go and take some pics this morning as I had to go to work. I am feeling a bit sad, have grown up and still live beside the brae and I must say feeling a bit sentimental about it comming down. A very close relation of mine helped to build it and fell off and broke all of his ribs, so is the story that my dear late dad used to tell me !

Bye Bye chimney :~(

That is an understandable reaction to something that is quite familiar even though it is not pretty and has no doubt contributed to a lot of pollution over the years.

I can think of some contemporary structures that are a bit prettier and do have a benign effect on the environment, I'm wondering what reaction people will have of them when it is their turn to come down? A greater feeling of sadness no doubt.

Murdina Bug
07-Oct-08, 16:42
Is this definately coming down or is it just getting repaired? The notice in the paper says 'the purpose of the Order is to enable work to take place at the Chimney Stack' - 'will come into force at 06.00am on 6th October 2008 and will remain in effect until 6pm on 24th October 2008'.

Seems a long time for a demolition? Has anybody in Wick seen any activity around there yet?

TBH
07-Oct-08, 16:44
It is time it came down but it is/was an interesting marker in the harbour.
Why is it time it came down, what harm was it doing.
It's always been a landmark of the harbour, a very welcome site to some.

hotrod4
07-Oct-08, 16:50
Is this definately coming down or is it just getting repaired? The notice in the paper says 'the purpose of the Order is to enable work to take place at the Chimney Stack' - 'will come into force at 06.00am on 6th October 2008 and will remain in effect until 6pm on 24th October 2008'.

Seems a long time for a demolition? Has anybody in Wick seen any activity around there yet?

Seen some guys there today with a crane, who knows if its coming down or being "made safe" but work has started.

The Angel Of Death
08-Oct-08, 10:17
Looks like its coming down seen them at it this morn as i was going to work

Shame really i would have liked to see it blown up Ala high rise style

MileHigh
08-Oct-08, 19:15
They have started taking it down you can see at the top where the Concrete reinforcing bar remains. As far as I am aware they had a quote to blow it up by controlled demolition which would of been impressive but was costly so they are just chipping it away bit by bit and dropping it down the inside of the chimney I think.

The Angel Of Death
08-Oct-08, 19:48
I would have done it for free obviously couldn't guarantee safety but hey the chimney would be gone and prob half the harbor !

Kevin Milkins
08-Oct-08, 19:49
It will be a shame to see a landmark that so many seem to have become fond of disapear.:(I have posted a short clip for those that are not able to get allong to see whats going onhttp://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm196/kevinmilkins/?action=view&current=SMOV0004.flv

Kevin Milkins
08-Oct-08, 19:51
http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm196/kevinmilkins/?action=view&current=SMOV0004.flv

That looks more like it.:confused

bonami
08-Oct-08, 20:32
Bit of a shame to see it go.It was used by old fishermen as a landmark in the days before decca and satillite navigation. Easily seen from miles away at sea along with the steeples of the churches. Does anyone know when it was built ?.

south view 7
08-Oct-08, 20:40
the old power station "chimley" being demolishedhttp://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u217/southview7/chimney006.jpg

south view 7
08-Oct-08, 20:42
great day for the job.http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u217/southview7/chimney007.jpg

Rheghead
08-Oct-08, 20:50
The concrete looks badly weather damaged below the platform.

Tristan
08-Oct-08, 21:15
The concrete looks badly weather damaged below the platform.

It does look very bad. I am sure there is a big safety issue but it still is a shame to see it go.