PDA

View Full Version : Warning if you buy a backup external hard-drive

psyberyeti
04-Oct-08, 22:24
Hello Folks, be careful if you obtain/buy/receive an external hard-drive for backing up photos etc.

Do not download, or let it download, a virus like program from the Memeo company.

It appears impossible to remove from hard-drives, taking up 30GB of unknown data - it scrambles all of the file names and makes them undeletable. If you contact the company they are next to useless and cannot tell me how to remove the 'virus'. They just give a stock answer to any enquiries.

Be warned; DO NOT DOWNLOAD 'MEMEO' backup programs as you may be making your hard-drives visible to others.

Bobinovich
05-Oct-08, 00:04
Bit of background to this situation here (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=58193)

dano
05-Oct-08, 05:10
Hi again psyberyeti,

I understand that you are frustrated. I am confident that our tech support can fix this issue for you and I will say again that you can contact me directly at 760-300-3694 and I will personally make sure that this is resolved. If you don't want to call, then send email or send me a private message here and I will call you. If you have your case number with tech support that will help.

Until then, I have to say again that Memeo Backup and Sync software is in use by more than a million people who trust it to keep their data safe. It is not a virus. It has no way of making your hard-drive visible to others, and it does not scramble anything or make anything undeletable.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Dan

Raven
05-Oct-08, 16:42
We have got a Maxtor, Iomega`s and an ATMT, and none of them had any software like this on... Maybe you should go for a different brand next time?

donsinc
05-Oct-08, 16:44
I use a Seagate, no software required, just my MacBook Pro and built in Time Machine.