PDA

View Full Version : Credit Crunching Recipes

Kathb
28-Sep-08, 16:39
When everyone is watching the pennies more than ever, does anyone have any budget/pauper recipes to share?
Kathb

Bad Manners
28-Sep-08, 16:47
Does a cream cracker and a small bit of cheese count?

alanatkie
28-Sep-08, 17:47
Soup is the best idea.
Macaroni Cheese.
Mince & tatties with dumplings

arana negra
28-Sep-08, 18:13
Tatties ! always good staple, baked with any leftovers on top ie mince stew,chilli, carrot or leeks/cauliflower in white sauce, fish pie or cheese/onion/beans. Pasta dishes are good also you add all sorts to them, any tins in the back of your cupboard or things in the bottom of your freezer ? try adding soups to pasta or meat.

Check out the 'near their sell by date' shelf in your supermarket, amazing what you can find there.......... have made soups and stews/casseroles from goods found there eeked them out with any cheap veg you find. Or use to make pies and freeze some. Fish pie either with tattie top or pastry base again cheap fish then add things to bulk it up like boiled egg add herbs for added flavour, try mushrooms leeks carrots.

I found those shelves very useful. Have a look at the 'Mashed Potato' thread on here and the Grannies cooking one, might find some recipes on there.

Take care x

golach
28-Sep-08, 20:30
some good recipes here

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/family/tasty+ideas/feed_family_for_a_fiver/feed_family_fiver_l3.htm?WT.svl=3&WT.seg_1=nav_tertiary

Anne x
28-Sep-08, 23:10
Buy a 1lb mince add a onion (ENING )and the worlds your oyster !!!!! (l(ean mince of course to be politically correct )

unicorn
28-Sep-08, 23:40
buy a large chicken boil for chicken and rice soup, and make a big curry with the rest, lasts for days :lol:

lynne duncan
30-Sep-08, 17:24
pasta, dolmio stir in sauce, grated cheese, sliced ham chopped, any frozen veg, tin of fruit (pineapples) feeds any amount

sjr014
30-Sep-08, 19:34
Tesco has a new one its spicy tomato with sweet onion and its lovely if you like smoked sausage try addin a bit of that and top with grated cheese!

Another pasta fave is boiled pasta add some condensed mushroom soup some sauted onion, mushroom and some chopped ham! Then add some grated cheese! MMM lovely my mouth watering!

Omlettes and any filling u like!!

Corned Beef Hash!

carlominno
03-Oct-08, 12:49
Sunday - Roast chicken
Monday - Chicken Pie
Tuesday - Chicken Curry
Wednesday & Thursday - Soup made from chicken bones stock

or

Mince to Spag Bol to Chilli con Carne, then just the rice or pasta rest of the week

Depending on the size of your family and the size of your chicken / mince you may be able to get these to go a wee bit further but these were my staple 'proper food' weeks when I was on a tight budget at college

honey
03-Oct-08, 14:31
again... the slow cooker is good for this, you can buy the cheaper, tougher cuts of meat and still get a lovely meal!