PDA

View Full Version : What do you make?

hotrod4
27-Sep-08, 11:55
I've just made some fishcakes!!!! ;)
In a world where you can buy ready made anything, what do you make that you could buy?
I also make my own shepherds pies,curries,pakoras,soups homemade chips etc. Easier to buty but prefer the "home amde " taste.
Anyone else make things you could easily buy?

ks
27-Sep-08, 12:05
In a world where you can buy ready made anything, what do you make that you could buy?
I also make my own shepherds pies,curries,pakoras,soups homemade chips etc. Easier to buty but prefer the "home amde " taste.

When the mood takes me I make, fishcakes, beefburgers, meatballs and veg patties and then stick them in the freezer! Much nicer than the stuff you get from the shops.

Gizmo
27-Sep-08, 12:09

Ready made food is awful, homemade is cheaper to make and much healthier for you.

I make some mean Blueberry/Choc Chip/Pecan & Maple Syrup Muffins, better then anything you will buy out a supermarket.

honey
27-Sep-08, 12:44
i am getting a bit of a dab hand at cooking in the slow cooker, so tend to use this instead of ready meals.

hotrod4
27-Sep-08, 12:49
i am getting a bit of a dab hand at cooking in the slow cooker, so tend to use this instead of ready meals.

When I seen your name in the thread I thought you were going to say you made..........HONEY!!!!!!!!

honey
27-Sep-08, 12:49
When I seen your name in the thread I thought you were going to say you made..........HONEY!!!!!!!!

thats one thing i have never made!! :lol:

Julia
27-Sep-08, 12:52
Burgers made from steak mince, I'm way too fussy to eat any other kind.

justine
27-Sep-08, 13:00
quite like to get ma hand into the likes of scotch eggs, proper ones, not the measly little things you buy in the shop.My oh has a speciality in doing an Oriental Chicken pudding,.Gets the gob watering everytime.

Julia
27-Sep-08, 13:06
snip> My oh has a speciality in doing an Oriental Chicken pudding,.Gets the gob watering everytime.

Is that served with custard or ice cream?

balto
27-Sep-08, 13:08
my other half is really good at the cooking, way better than me, and he will try anything and to be honest he is normally very succesfull, best is his curries. mind you saying that since i have been on maternity leave i am baking now where as i would never before, going to attempt to make tablet aswell.

Iffy
27-Sep-08, 16:01
My hubby loves when I cook chicken & mushroom risotto, fish pie or pea & ham soup (though not all on the same plate!!!!) His eyes light up if I say that I'm going to make one of them for dinner, and whilst I'm making it he keeps saying "Can we have it now??!!!"

router
27-Sep-08, 16:04
Is that served with custard or ice cream?

If you like you could put either:eek:, but its better served hot from the oven with nothing else.

Ricco
27-Sep-08, 16:06
I make my own chilli, and my guacamole is to die for! I also make my own curries, but prefer those at my favourite restaurant. Also make smoothies, beetroot and chocolate cake (it is really delicious despite the ingredients), and a variety of soups.

teenybash
27-Sep-08, 16:17
Home cooking is best and no takaway can beat my Indian curries and chapatis. Also make apple pies and home made icecream, scones, cakes, soda breads, soups......mostly everything. Takes longer but, sure do taste a whole lot better that ready meals....:Razz

lynne duncan
27-Sep-08, 16:37
mostly baking, vic sponges, meringues, millionaire, profitiroles, banana loaf, corrot cake.
soups.

Buttercup
27-Sep-08, 16:37
Burgers made from steak mince, I'm way too fussy to eat any other kind.

Me too. Haven't bought burgers for donkey's years ~ just the thought of what they put in them :eek:

wee sparkle
27-Sep-08, 17:23
My mum is really good at cooking, hopefully i'll learn her skills before i go off to uni:eek:, she cooks loads of foods that you can buy from the indian like Byriani, Karahi and Rogan josh (i doubt any of those are spelt right!) And i now know how to make her lasagna, so i shouldn't starve! =D

Watch mummy's ego grow:p Hehehe

x

Bobinovich
27-Sep-08, 17:55
Learn them well wee sparkle and you'll make LOTS of new friends :lol:

neepnipper
27-Sep-08, 18:10
I make burgers, fresh pasta (my lasagne sheets are so much better than the dried stuff), all sorts of cakes, dog biscuits, steak pies, pasties, bread.....:D

elamik@tiscali.co.uk
27-Sep-08, 18:12
Hey, you are all invited to my house for tea, bringing your home made goodies with you of course !!:)

Fluff
27-Sep-08, 22:27
ooh it had to be quiche, base n'all. My nana made her own, my mum makes her own and we make our own. I cannot stand shop bought quiche, nothing like it fresh. yummy.
hmm, might have to make that next week now lol

Welcomefamily
27-Sep-08, 23:16
We try to make as much as we can, you cant beat it.

Bobinovich
28-Sep-08, 00:02
I wish I'd paid more attention to my late mum's cooking - she could turn anything into a meal, something my grandfather used to refer to as "One of Janes little messes".

Her baking was renowned - especially bread & rolls - and most never even got a chance to cool down as it was scoffed almost straight from the oven with lashings of butter.

I don't really make anything that special but do take a lot of time & effort on sandwiches funnily enough!

mccaugm
28-Sep-08, 00:07
Bacon and egg pies, lasagnes, casseroles banana loaves & trifles....family seem to like them so thats satisfaction in itself.

Kevin Milkins
28-Sep-08, 01:53
Never got a chance to get near the cooker in the early part of our married life but have had a bit of a go in recent years and have discoverd that my chilli goes down well and I can make a mean scrambled egg.

rockchick
28-Sep-08, 08:28
Pretty much everything is cooked from scratch, except baked goods such as bread, pastries or cakes. Those take too much time for working parents.

My specialties are curries and italian food.

Lolabelle
28-Sep-08, 10:20
I make most things myself, as I have food intolerances and most stuff has gluten in it.

I have homemade gluten free pizza's in the oven right now, felt like takeaway tonight, lol. [lol]

northener
28-Sep-08, 13:17
Anything to do with fish or shellfish, I'll have a go at making. I'm a big fan of Rick Stein and Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall - both can be relied on for good realistic advice and a real passion for what they do.

Living here gives me access to my own crab, lobster and fish. Plus I've got me own smoker...can't beat hot smoked pollack.

Kevin Milkins
28-Sep-08, 13:47
Anything to do with fish or shellfish, I'll have a go at making. I'm a big fan of Rick Stein and Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall - both can be relied on for good realistic advice and a real passion for what they do.

Living here gives me access to my own crab, lobster and fish. Plus I've got me own smoker...can't beat hot smoked pollack.

Because we spent most of our adult life in the Midlands we never had much access to fresh fish. As a result of this we never used fish in our daily diet, ( unless it came wrapped in batter and accompanyed with chips ).:confused

I have a need for a big change in lifstyle and diet so fish would be a good idea.:eek:

If you have any tips on books I would be gratfull.
I also like Hugh Fearnly-Whittingstall.:D

wee sparkle
28-Sep-08, 17:38
The easiest way to make friends at university......admit that you can cook! :lol: you'll end up swamped by students who can just about cook toast without burning it.....or atleast thats what im told hehe :p

northener
30-Sep-08, 13:26
Because we spent most of our adult life in the Midlands we never had much access to fresh fish. As a result of this we never used fish in our daily diet, ( unless it came wrapped in batter and accompanyed with chips ).:confused

I have a need for a big change in lifstyle and diet so fish would be a good idea.:eek:

If you have any tips on books I would be gratfull.
I also like Hugh Fearnly-Whittingstall.:D

'Seafood' by Rick Stein (BBC books), covers gutting, filleting, cleaning lobbies and crabs and everything you need to know. Very good. I'ts not the original book that he did (can't remember what that was called) but it is equally as good.

Seeing as you're a fan of Hugh F-W, I can heartily recommend the 'River Cottage Fish Book'. It's a bible for all things fishy.

Hugh being Hugh, he goes into detail on the Common Fisheries Policy, ecology, what to watch for when buying from supermarkets and covers all the fishy and shellfishy jobs that need doing.

I've got the hardback edition. It's a weighty tome to say the least, I'm sure you could stun a donkey with just one whack from this book.....

The River Cottage Meat Book is just as good - and just as heavy. And the original River Cottage Cookbook is a good all-rounder - but he does go into animal husbandry as well in that.

get cookin'!

JimH
30-Sep-08, 14:42
Mischief!!!!!!!!!!

northener
30-Sep-08, 17:03
...............Eh?

Angela
30-Sep-08, 17:09
Most things, but I'm best at soups, casseroles, risottos and crumbles -not requiring too high a standard of presentation.;)

Given up on pastry - I'm far too heavy handed.:(