View Full Version : Quiet freezer

Liz
26-Sep-08, 23:11
I was wondering whether anyone can recommend a freezer with Energy Rating A which is nice and quiet?

I have just bought a Hotpoint and it is driving me to distraction as every hour it makes this strange wailing noise when the motor comes on.:eek:

I am a bit of a noise phobic and this is really going to get to me! Especially during the night.

I honestly feel like taking an axe to it!!!

NickInTheNorth
27-Sep-08, 11:41
I used to have a Bosch chest freezer, It was A rated and silent at all times. Fantastic freezer! I bought that 7 years ago, I no longer have it but I know it's still going strong.

Liz
27-Sep-08, 12:01
Thanks a lot for the advice.

Do you have a freezer now and, if so, is it silent?

I wouldn't mind it making a noise occasionally but mine makes a wailing noise at least once an hour!:roll:

Liz
27-Sep-08, 14:14
I have checked the Bosch website and, unfortunately, none of the sizes fit the space I have.:(

I may go for a Norfrost.

poppett
27-Sep-08, 22:18
Have just taken delivery of an Indesit A+ class* fridge freezer, and it hasn`t made a murmer, although it is working perfectly. Possibly their freezers alone may also be silent, worth an enquiry. Best of luck in your quest.

Liz
27-Sep-08, 22:42
Thanks Poppett.

I have a Hotpoint which I think is also Indesit?

I don't mind a freezer making some noise but this one makes a sound like howling wind.

I really don't think it would be so bad if I had a bigger house and could place it away from my bedroom as, apart from this, it is very quiet.

It doesn't help that I am very sensitive to noise and this kind of thing annoys me more than it would a lot of people.

I have to say I'm afraid of getting another in case it is just as noisy or even worse!
Having said that my Norfrost was okay so may go back to this.

Torvaig
27-Sep-08, 23:09
Are you sure it is not touching something and producing the noise as a result of minute vibration? Try moving it just a tad.......

Liz
27-Sep-08, 23:25
Cheers Torvaig.

I moved the freezer so it has quite a bit of space all around it and it hasn't made any difference.

The noise isn't like vibration it is like the wind (weather not bottoms!:lol:)so I take it is the coolant?

Torvaig
27-Sep-08, 23:51
Try putting it in the back garden with some blankets over it to deaden the noise! Mind you, you will need a long extension lead....;)

Liz
28-Sep-08, 12:17
Try putting it in the back garden with some blankets over it to deaden the noise! Mind you, you will need a long extension lead....;)

I suppose it makes a lot more sense to have the freezer outside as it doesn't have to work so hard to keep cool! Bit far to trot back and forth though!:lol:

I am seriously considering getting a Norfrost so if anyone has any thoughts on this, good or bad, I would be grateful.

It was a Norfrost I had before but decided to go for one with drawers after the lid broke on the Norfrost chest freezer.
It was a bad move as there isn't enough room!

I seem to remember that my Norfrost made a bit of noise when switching off and on but couldn't have been much as I was able to sleep!

I moved it out from the wall and it was much quieter. In fact, for the past few months it didn't make any noise at all. Mind you maybe it wasn't working properly!:lol:

pat
28-Sep-08, 12:59
have a Whirlpool freezer but would not recommend them - my one is kept in garage but is very noisey, glad it is in garage, definitely would not have that noise in house.
Have tried all sorts to quieten it but nothing worked - definitely not recommend it for house.

Liz
28-Sep-08, 13:07
have a Whirlpool freezer but would not recommend them - my one is kept in garage but is very noisey, glad it is in garage, definitely would not have that noise in house.
Have tried all sorts to quiten it but nothing worked - definitely not recommend it for house.

It is so annoying as you don't know what it's going be like until you set it up and then it's too late as I don't think you can return it just because it's noisy!

I can't say that the noise is particulary loud (it's like a howling wind)but just annoying!

I would really love to hear from Norfrost freezers owners.:D

pat
28-Sep-08, 14:52
pal has one and she cannot hear her one, doesn't even realise it is on!

As you say it is like a strong wind howling all the time the motor is running - no it is not the wind here and it is not the garage doors either, tried everything to quieten it but has made no difference. If I move it is definitely getting left behind for next residents!!!

Liz
28-Sep-08, 17:56
Thanks Pat!

I will need to get a chest freezer anyway as this one has drawers and I can't get everything in it.

I am so sorry that you have a noisy freezer as well.:(

Mine isn't really loud as such but just sounds like the wind is blowing. It's not actually so bad when the wind actually is blowing!

I have a feeling that someone who isn't so sensitive to noise wouldn't be bothered by it. My sister says she doesn't notice it.

Moira
29-Sep-08, 00:42
Liz, our Electrolux freezer probably fell off Noah's Ark, it is so ancient, but it doesn't make much noise at all. I'm not sure how efficient it is to run however.

We recently bought an AEG frost-free fridge (built-in) and it's pretty much noise-free, apart from the odd (2-second) whirring sound every other hour. I can't vouch for their freezers though. Do you know anyone who subscribes to "Which" magazine? We do and I could check out some of the reports for you on-line if you are prepared to wait a couple of days. The noise factor is one of the things they test. Let me know.

wkgeorge
29-Sep-08, 12:10
Talking about noisey electrical appliances, I bought a new dimplex electric fire, it looks lovely but the noise is driving me mad when the flame effect is on, anyone know how this can be stopped

Liz
29-Sep-08, 12:33
Do you know anyone who subscribes to "Which" magazine? We do and I could check out some of the reports for you on-line if you are prepared to wait a couple of days. The noise factor is one of the things they test. Let me know.
Thanks Moira. I actually took out a 30 day subscription to Which for £1 so I could check out the freezers. Although they didn't test the exact model of Hotpoint I have they did check the others and said they were quiet!:confused

Talking about noisey electrical appliances, I bought a new dimplex electric fire, it looks lovely but the noise is driving me mad when the flame effect is on, anyone know how this can be stopped

Oh no! I was hoping to get an electric fire with flame effect when we get new heating in. Do they all make a noise?!