PDA

View Full Version : Home made pot pouri??

Kathy@watten
23-Sep-08, 19:54
Ok I need some ideas for home made pot pouri as I hate synthetic smells like the ones you get in shops, want to use cones and the like as the base substrate and need ideas to create a yummy smell now! All ideas gratefully recieved!

alanatkie
23-Sep-08, 20:27
Orange slices (dried in the oven)
Cinnamon sticks
Nutmegs
Pine cones

might be a bit christmassy tho.

Kathy@watten
23-Sep-08, 20:50
I can live with the smells of Christmas it's all good so long as it isn't turkey!

Buttercup
23-Sep-08, 22:03
Your best bet is to use Pure Essential Oils - not perfume oils - on the cones etc that you have, these will give you the "real smell" that your looking for. If you have some wood shavings, for you're mix, put them into a poly bag with a few drops of the oils and give them a good shake. The oils are concentrated so you'll need very little. You can buy them online from various places, as I doubt if you'll get many locally now. Some of them can be quite expensive but a little goes a long way and as long as you store them in the dark they will last for ages.
If you like the "Christmas" smells try using cinnamon, orange, frankincense, myrrh, pine etc. :D

arana negra
24-Sep-08, 13:11
I did some at christmas, dried orange and lemon rind, some cloves and added some cones and leaves from a leylanda type hedge.

lynne duncan
25-Sep-08, 20:00
would slices of strawberries dry in the oven to like the dried oranges
honeysuckle flowers