PDA

View Full Version : Hummus

Melancholy Man
22-Sep-08, 11:32
It takes trial and error to work out the preferred proportions, but I normally opt between a 1:3 and 1:2 ratio of tahini to dried chick peas Try to avoid using tins, because of the unpredicted preservatives and leached minerals and vitamins. If you have to, use slightly less by weight.

{*} Wash the chick peas several times. Inspect on a large plate for discoloured peas, drowned insects and wattknot;

{*} Soaked overnight with about 1/2 tbs of bicarbonate of soda for every lb of chick peas (yes, I do cook that much!);

{*} Rinse again, and place with another 1/2 tbs of bicarbonate of soda on a flash boil for 10/5 minutes and then a rolling boil under peas can be easily squashed between your fingers (60-90 minutes). As scum forms on the surface, skim it off. Drain, rinse thoroughly. Eyeball for remaining dried peas, and discard;

{*} Stand tahini tub in warm water, as it's highly viscous;

{*} Puree chick peas, tahini, lemon juice and salt (flavouring, as well as preservative) and olive oil, and liquid as required to make an even paste. If you're using large quantities, do so in stages, adding to already pureed mixture;

{*} Garlic. I use at least five cloves per lb. If you're making a small amount, add these at the time. For larger amounts, puree in smaller pot with quantity of above gloop and then add to and puree with main mixture, so to ensure even mixing;

{*} At the end of it, the consistency should be slightly weaker than desired as it'll thicken with cooling. If you're tucking in later, give it an extra frothing with the mixer;

{*} Experiment with fruit teas instead of extra water: chamomile, mint or citrus are good. Maybe add cucumber or carrot or other fruit and veg (turnip is not a good idea).

Eat and think of Nigella Lawson!