PDA

View Full Version : help with orange wireless broadband

LRM
18-Sep-08, 19:22
this is driving me crackers! got wireless orange livebox which works perfectly well until you move away from the livebox (even just into next room) then I get intermittent connection on and off and on and off aaargh!!! Have phoned orange who tell me the problem is not the signal from them to my livebox (because some green light stays on) but from the livebox to my computer, we have tried going to wifi settings and changing the channel and they have told me to cancel bt 1571 as this may interfere with the signal but this will not be turned off until tomorrow. It is costing me a fortune on phone calls and I feel I am getting the run around. Have tried to cancel my contract but they say if I do this I will have to pay them an years worth of payments which I am certainly not willing to do. Have had orange broadband for years with no problems until I went wireless. can anyone help please? Also feel computer is slow since phoning them and fiddling with settings.

daviddd
19-Sep-08, 10:26
I wondered if there was something blocking the signal, such as a couple of thick stone walls or metal plate might? Can you say at which point in the house the signal actually disappears - this might give a clue if something is attenuating reception.
I used to live in an old stone house where the router was the other side of a wall and it def reduced, though not completely I have to say, the signal.

LRM
19-Sep-08, 14:54
nope, there is only plasterboard between the rooms

blueivy
19-Sep-08, 17:06
this is driving me crackers! got wireless orange livebox which works perfectly well until you move away from the livebox (even just into next room) then I get intermittent connection on and off and on and off aaargh!!! Have phoned orange who tell me the problem is not the signal from them to my livebox (because some green light stays on) but from the livebox to my computer, we have tried going to wifi settings and changing the channel and they have told me to cancel bt 1571 as this may interfere with the signal but this will not be turned off until tomorrow. It is costing me a fortune on phone calls and I feel I am getting the run around. Have tried to cancel my contract but they say if I do this I will have to pay them an years worth of payments which I am certainly not willing to do. Have had orange broadband for years with no problems until I went wireless. can anyone help please? Also feel computer is slow since phoning them and fiddling with settings.

I take it that what you're wanting to do is connect your computer to you Orange Livebox via wireless? When the computer is next to the Livebox and communicating wirelessly with it, it works absolutely fine. However when you move the computer to the next room you get intermittent wireless disconnections between your computer and the Livebox (and not broadband disconnections between the Livebox and Orange) ?

If this is the case then Orange telling you that 1571 can interfere with your wireless connection is nonsense (it can sometimes interfere with your broadband connection between your Livebox and Orange - I've never experienced this before but I have read about it).

I would go along with what daviddd said - it it most likely interference from when you mvoe rooms. Changing the channel may help, however depending on what the actual problem is it may not.

WiFi works on 2.4GHz which is the same frequency as a DigiSender that Sky uses and ones that you can buy yourself. I know when I used my own DigiSender it would drop the connection on my wireless every 30 seconds or so because of it. Microwaves can also interefere with WiFi but only when actually microwaving.

Another alternative is to check that you have the latest firmware on the Livebox. Perhaps the firmware that is on it is old and has problems? Worthwhile checking.

Kodiak
11-Oct-08, 20:57
If this is the case then Orange telling you that 1571 can interfere with your wireless connection is nonsense (it can sometimes interfere with your broadband connection between your Livebox and Orange - I've never experienced this before but I have read about it).

I agree fully with this. 1571 should not make any difference at all. I have been with orange ever since they took over WannaDoo. I have WiFi and I never have had any problem connecting no matter what room I am in. I have 2 PC's and 2 LapTops connected to the WiFi and sometimes all of them at the same time with loss of signal or speed.

But then I do not use an Orange Livebox but I have a D-Link Wireless Router/Modem and I believe this is the difference. So it could be your Orange Livebox is the problem, so if you still have not got it working correctly I would suggest you consider getting a new Router/Modem like a D-Link.