PDA

View Full Version : Council weeds!

Loch not Lock
18-Sep-08, 18:59
I notice the Council have not done any weedkilling along the footpaths this year. It is a bloody mess and gives a bad impression of our lovely town. In places there are "dockans","gress" and nettles 2 foot high. Surely it would not cost too much to do a spraying.
I'd do it myself for a few hundred.:confused

unicorn
18-Sep-08, 19:26
I was weeding the edge of the main road outside my house yesterday and wondering why I was doing the councils job.

Rheghead
18-Sep-08, 19:35
I notice the Council have not done any weedkilling along the footpaths this year. It is a bloody mess and gives a bad impression of our lovely town. In places there are "dockans","gress" and nettles 2 foot high. Surely it would not cost too much to do a spraying.

http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/C4A03A18-2F21-4A46-B095-2989B44E9F54/0/volunteering_policy.pdf

skinnydog
18-Sep-08, 19:51
The council make me laugh the way they waste money. There was a coucil man watering the hanging baskets in Thurso the other day. In the pouring rain!!

balto
18-Sep-08, 20:29
aye funny isnt it how they find money when they need to waste it, but if something needs done whats the normal reply "we havent got the funds in our budget"

Phoebus_Apollo
18-Sep-08, 21:16
I put a complaint in on the Fix my Street Website regarding the appalling state of the weeds in Thurso - they really need to pull the finger out on this one - weeds downgrade an area and suggest deprivation.

TRUCKER
18-Sep-08, 22:15
The weeds are bad in thurso because the council was later doing themmthere. In wick the weeds were done in may and isnt to bad.the local workers are just doing what they are told to do.

Kenn
18-Sep-08, 22:40
Whoops thought you were referring to the tall skinny guy as what works for the council!

Do they have the same poicy as down here, spray in Spring and then leave nature to take it's course so that wildlife can flourish?

wifie
18-Sep-08, 22:47
I just wish they didn't spray stuff! :( Bloomin pest - icides!

justine
18-Sep-08, 23:03

Best thing to do is do it yourself and then slap them with your bill.
They would if they weeded your bit of land, you'd get the bill quick enough.

goldenguernsey
19-Sep-08, 00:19
The best weed laugh is RAGWORT, it is illegal and as such should not be seen growing at all. But hey, it's all over Caithness, poisenous to livestock and if removing it from your own land you should wear gloves so as not to be affected by it! It attacks the liver and slowly kills the animals ingesting it, it is even more deadly dried as in hay, the toxin is concentrated! A poisenous plant that has been illegal for years and yet it's still apparent all over the County, hey ho.......

Loch not Lock
19-Sep-08, 08:16
Best thing to do is do it yourself and then slap them with your bill.
They would if they weeded your bit of land, you'd get the bill quick enough.
I have pulled out any weeds growing around my own house all year. How much should I bill them for?:confused

igglepiggle
19-Sep-08, 09:29
spooky but they are up in the springpark area now - pulling out the weeds on the paths and side of the roads!!!!

balto
19-Sep-08, 11:05
spooky but they are up in the springpark area now - pulling out the weeds on the paths and side of the roads!!!!
the powers that be must have seen this thread lol.

unicorn
19-Sep-08, 11:31
typical and I just done my bit [lol]

teenybash
19-Sep-08, 12:16
The best weed laugh is RAGWORT, it is illegal and as such should not be seen growing at all. But hey, it's all over Caithness, poisenous to livestock and if removing it from your own land you should wear gloves so as not to be affected by it! It attacks the liver and slowly kills the animals ingesting it, it is even more deadly dried as in hay, the toxin is concentrated! A poisenous plant that has been illegal for years and yet it's still apparent all over the County, hey ho.......

Was just about to mention the amount of ragwort springing up all over....I am stunned when I see horses and livestock in fields where it is allowed to grow freely....it is lethal and both councils and landowner should be made to remove it and burn it.... it should never be composted or sent to land fill :mad: