PDA

View Full Version : OM lenses for E500????

porshiepoo
16-Sep-08, 17:33
I could do with some advice with regards to lenses for my Olympus E500. I'd like to get some different lenses to play around with but am not willing to pay out the ridiculous prices of the Olympus 4/3 lenses right now so I'm going to get the adapter for the Olympus OM lenses to be used on the Olympus E500.
Does anyone know how it affects the lenses when used this way? I know you can only use manual focus which is fine with me and I think infinity is still guaranteed but what else does it affect?
Also I've noticed that people selling OM lenses on EBay don't specify a lens thread diameter. Haven't a clue how the OM lenses work but I'm sure they would have to have a thread diameter?

porshiepoo
17-Sep-08, 15:07
33 people look and no one knows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

North Light
17-Sep-08, 15:47
Mmm,
I was rather hoping someone else was going to answer this!
Had to hunt a bit, I presume you are talking about the Olympus Adaptor

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/dslr_OM_Adapter.htm

If so we are talking about lenses with the OM bayonet mount.

No autofocus, pre-set the aperture for metering.
For more info:-
http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/dslr_OM_Adapter_Compatibilities.htm

Sigma make 4/3 fit lenses, might be worth a look, or secondhand?

porshiepoo
17-Sep-08, 18:59
:eek: Thanks for that but I think I may as well stick to the correct lenses.
Too much to understand and too much loss by the looks of things.

Thanks for answering though.

astroman
17-Sep-08, 22:35
I used to use an Olympus film SLR camera in the distant past and recently bought an Olympus E-420 DSLR. As I have a largeish zoom lens for the old film SLR I bought an Olympus OM to Olympus DSLR lens adaptor for a tenner off eBay.

I've used it a few times and it works ok (no autofocus obviously). The 70-210mm zoom lens giving 140-420mm equivalent on the DSLR with its 2x factor. With a old 2x convertor I also have, I can get an impressive overall zoom of 840mm equivalent, but it's only really any use in brighter light conditions or for certain astrophotography shots.

The lens filter thread on the lenses I had for the OM SLR were 49mm (I think) for the short focal length prime lens I had or 62mm for the big zoom lens.

So what advice can I give? Well the adaptor works well and you can get it cheaply off eBay. The OM lenses I have give reasonable quality images when hooked up to the DSLR, but with limitations as North Light has pointed out.

Hope this is of some help.

porshiepoo
18-Sep-08, 09:07
Thanks Astroman. I may give it a go after all.
Just looking at the cost of 4/3 lenses laves me in shock! lol.

Hmmmm, what's this 2x factor??????? I really don't have a clue about lenses, I just want to play really but I really like taking landscape shots so what would be the right OM lens for this, taking this 2x thingy into account.

Raven
18-Sep-08, 09:21
xx x factor is the crop factor of your camera. On a 2x crop factor camera a 100mm lens will be the equivalent of a 200mm on a 35mm cam. With a 1.6 factor it will be 160mm. You will have to check it out what your cam has got...

My advice would be, buy the best you can afford. A cheap glass might not make you happy for too long if you are a keen photographer.

North Light
18-Sep-08, 09:34
Olympus E500 use the Four Thirds sensor size, and hence the multiplier is x2.
This is only really significant if you are an experienced 35mm user, otherwise just relate the focal length of the lens to the lens you are using with the E500 at the moment.