PDA

View Full Version : Best + Worst Album of the year 2008.......so far

Invisible
15-Sep-08, 12:46
What's your favourite new album so far this year?

I would say mine is a close war between
Weezer - Red Album
Black Kids - Partie Traumatic

and worst album that i bought goes to...........

The Wombats - A Guide to Love, Loss & Desperation

Kenneth
15-Sep-08, 14:00
Wow wow no no, The Wombats have produced a brilliant wee album, very catchy and sing a longy! Good tunes my friend. Seen them livea few months back at the Ironworks, wasnt really into them but I was impressed.

Not so fussed about Weezer or The Black Kids...I like their new single though.

For me it's probably going to be Kings of Leon, Only By The Night...but that aint out yet...

So to begin with I'll say Jim Noir's "Jim Noir" haha. It's very good. If you like something different, give it a try. Difficult to describe but it does sound like its from the 60s. He did a tune for adiddas a while back called "Eanie Meany", have a look for it on youtube.

Elbow's album is also very very very good, nice to see them top of the charts (well on Amazon anyway)

But I think my favourite album so far has to be Vampire Weekend! Brilliant summery tunes.

Worst album....why would I listen to something I dont like? Im sure Miley Cyrus' album will be horrible, along with various other bands...but I've not bought an album I don't like this year...not that I can think of....Oh aye...Fratellis, Here We Stand....nowhere near as good as the first.

Oh aye and Wombats came out in 2007 you numpty!

loganbiffy
15-Sep-08, 14:13
Best is a tough one, Weezers new album is excellent as is the Offsprings new offering, and I'm fond of the new Metallica album too.

Worst for me would be The Verve or the Ting Tings, awful.

Invisible
15-Sep-08, 14:18
Wow wow no no, The Wombats have produced a brilliant wee album, very catchy and sing a longy! Good tunes my friend. Seen them livea few months back at the Ironworks, wasnt really into them but I was impressed.

Not so fussed about Weezer or The Black Kids...I like their new single though.

For me it's probably going to be Kings of Leon, Only By The Night...but that aint out yet...

So to begin with I'll say Jim Noir's "Jim Noir" haha. It's very good. If you like something different, give it a try. Difficult to describe but it does sound like its from the 60s. He did a tune for adiddas a while back called "Eanie Meany", have a look for it on youtube.

Elbow's album is also very very very good, nice to see them top of the charts (well on Amazon anyway)

But I think my favourite album so far has to be Vampire Weekend! Brilliant summery tunes.

Worst album....why would I listen to something I dont like? Im sure Miley Cyrus' album will be horrible, along with various other bands...but I've not bought an album I don't like this year...not that I can think of....Oh aye...Fratellis, Here We Stand....nowhere near as good as the first.

Oh aye and Wombats came out in 2007 you numpty!

ooops My bad...........still dont rate them highly.

Kenneth
15-Sep-08, 16:30
Ting Ting, meh they're alrite! I like Shut up and let me go, its sounds pretty cool, and Great DJ aint too bad either...would like to see what the rest of the album cos "Thats Not My Name" is a mingin!!!!!!! tune.

The Verve's album isnt too bad....bit disappointing though. But I dont think they wer ever gonna live up to the likes of Bittersweet Symphony or Lucky Man, I mean dem tunes were just bangin! Coldplay's album was a bit of a disappointment as well, but its growing on me.

Oasis album, hope its good! Quite like that new 'Struck By The Lightning'....hope the rest of the album follows suit.

Any other good new albums coming out?

loganbiffy
15-Sep-08, 16:46
Ting Ting, meh they're alrite! I like Shut up and let me go, its sounds pretty cool, and Great DJ aint too bad either...would like to see what the rest of the album cos "Thats Not My Name" is a mingin!!!!!!! tune.

The Verve's album isnt too bad....bit disappointing though. But I dont think they wer ever gonna live up to the likes of Bittersweet Symphony or Lucky Man, I mean dem tunes were just bangin! Coldplay's album was a bit of a disappointment as well, but its growing on me.

Oasis album, hope its good! Quite like that new 'Struck By The Lightning'....hope the rest of the album follows suit.

Any other good new albums coming out?

I'm looking forward to new Oasis album, about the only "Indie" album i will get.

"Shock of The Lightening" you were on about is a good song aye.

hotrod4
15-Sep-08, 18:43
Looking forward to the new Oasis album. I am keeping an eye on my favourite sites to see if it gets "leaked" ;)
Agree the Verve album is a bit of a let down to say the least.Getting Glasvegas tomorrow so hope that it isnt over-hyped because I've been waiting for it. Metallica is a contender for best of the year but I'll wait for Noel and Liam before I make my final decision!!!!

loganbiffy
15-Sep-08, 18:57
the new Feeder album "Silent Cry" is a pretty good offering, not as edgy as their early stuff but still an enjoyable listen.

theboysintheband
15-Sep-08, 22:35
Vampire Weekend walks it for me.

Gizmo
15-Sep-08, 22:38
That's a tough bloody question, this year has seen soooooo many awesome releases, without putting too much thought into it some favs are

1) Blind - Blind http://www.blindpage.de
2) Safetysuit - Life Left To Go http://www.myspace.com/safetysuit
3) Metallica - Death Magnetic
4) In Flames - A Sense Of Purpose
5) Scar Symmetry - Holographic Universe http://www.myspace.com/scarsymmetry
6) Warpath - Damnation http://www.myspace.com/warpathuk
7) Bury Your Dead - Bury Your Dead http://www.myspace.com/buryyourdead
8) Slipknot -All Hope Is Gone
9) Shinedown - The Soundness Of Madness http://www.myspace.com/shinedown
10) Story Of The Year - The Black Swan http://www.myspace.com/storyoftheyear
11) Testament - The Formation Of Damnation
12) From First To Last - From First To Last http://www.myspace.com/fftl
13) Amaru - Love, Lies & Therapy http://www.myspace.com/AmaruBand

You know, i could go on and on, like i said....this has been an awesome year for new music from all genres, there have only been a couple of releases that i really disliked intensely, the new Judas Priest and Extreme albums are the guilty pair, just truly awful albums.

I hope some of you find some goodies amongst that lot :)

Jeid
15-Sep-08, 23:08
I have to admit, I wasn't expecting anyone to list Story Of The Year on their list of best albums this year... but From First To Last... I'm stunned! A couple of great albums sir!

Gizmo
15-Sep-08, 23:26
I have to admit, I wasn't expecting anyone to list Story Of The Year on their list of best albums this year... but From First To Last... I'm stunned! A couple of great albums sir!

They are indeed, a huge leap forward for both bands as well, and as for FFTL......Sonny who? :)

Kenneth
16-Sep-08, 16:15
Guarenteed I wont be listening to any of the above albums haha

Gizmo
16-Sep-08, 16:27
Guarenteed I wont be listening to any of the above albums haha

I don't expect you will, judging from your posts it would seem you have a dreadful taste in music...or even a taste for dreadful music :p

Kenneth
16-Sep-08, 17:57
Oh maybe I do, each to their own though! But any band that has an album called "The Soundness of Madness" gets a nish-nish from me!

Gizmo
16-Sep-08, 19:23
Oh maybe I do, each to their own though! But any band that has an album called "The Soundness of Madness" gets a nish-nish from me!

Lol...i never noticed my typo...doh!, the album is called 'The Sound Of Madness'

hotrod4
18-Sep-08, 17:09
Just finished listening to Glasvegas, Jury's still out but the production on it is horrible. They have gone for the "wall of sound" Phil Spector type. The drummer in the band has the easiest job in the world no rhythyms just bass drum and a tambourine. The tunes are good though all a bit similar. Maybe after a few listens it might be my album of the year but its not looking promising as the same sound runs throughout, maybe if they got their drummer to actually PLAY it would be better! ;)

loganbiffy
18-Sep-08, 19:56
Just finished listening to Glasvegas, Jury's still out but the production on it is horrible. They have gone for the "wall of sound" Phil Spector type. The drummer in the band has the easiest job in the world no rhythyms just bass drum and a tambourine. The tunes are good though all a bit similar. Maybe after a few listens it might be my album of the year but its not looking promising as the same sound runs throughout, maybe if they got their drummer to actually PLAY it would be better! ;)

I found this band were very over-rated, their songs just annoy me.
Why are they so hyped? And seriously, i thought my band name was bad........

The Pepsi Challenge
19-Sep-08, 04:20
I found this band were very over-rated, their songs just annoy me.
Why are they so hyped? And seriously, i thought my band name was bad........

I Am Scientist, from Edinburgh, came up with a tune entitled 'Glasvegas' on their album, which came out, I believe, almost ten years ago. Not sure if the band took their name from the song, but it wouldn't surprise me. Myself, I preferred Glasvegas when they used to sing songs from Grease and didn't take themselves so seriously. As for the drummer, well, she makes Meg White look like John Bonham, but then, her drumming ability (or lack thereof), is far from the point with this band.

And seeing as most of the bands I like have either split up, are dead, or no longer tour, there hasn't been much for me to get excited about album-wise. Saying that, if push came to shove, I'd have to say Mogwai's new album, The Hawk Is Howling.

loganbiffy
19-Sep-08, 08:52
And seeing as most of the bands I like have either split up, are dead, or no longer tour, there hasn't been much for me to get excited about album-wise. Saying that, if push came to shove, I'd have to say Mogwai's new album, The Hawk Is Howling.

I'm the same, a lot of bands I am into have split or have dead members.
Haven't heard Mogwai's new album yet, i like their other stuff though.
New one any good?

The Pepsi Challenge
19-Sep-08, 15:26
It's certainly a return to form that's for sure. I would talk more about it, but it has songs about Those We Are Not Allowed To Speak Of on it, so I can't. Check it out, though, if you get a chance.

loganbiffy
19-Sep-08, 17:45
Nice, i shall do.
I didn't know it was out so i shall get it asap.

Blast!
20-Sep-08, 12:10
Good thread, still a bit early for a definitive list but here's a few albums I've massively enjoyed this year:

Laura Marling - Ghosts, glad she got the recognition she deserved when she was nominated for the Mercury Music prize, fantastically good album.
Friendly Fires - Friendly Fires, a bit of hype with these guy and they've lived up to it. Some of the best singles you'll hear this year.
Frightened Rabbit - The Midnight Organ Fight, this IS the best album of the year for sure. Written and recorded back in July '07 but released earlier this year, you won't see a finer Scottish band this year.
Los Campesinos! - Hold On Now, Youngster..., I love this lot. Some amazing songs and they've been fantastic the times I've gone to see them.
Sons & Daughters - This Gift, perhaps this can be a little samey and fade off towards the end but there's no denying this is a fantastic record, glad to see another Scottish band making brilliant music.
Tokyo Police Club - Elephant Shell, some brilliant little songs on this long player, love it.
Conor Oberst - Conor Oberst, there's no way this could have been bad. This man has made great records since he was 16 and this one is up there with them all.
Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago, beautifully minamalistic, can't really fault the bloke.
Fleet Foxes - Sun Giant, Only five songs long but possibly the most beatiful five songs on anything released this year.

Worst? I don't know. I don't listen to crap music. The Ting Tings are a poor excuse for a band and I imagine their LP is pretty terrible. If yon three singles are the best they can do I suggest they crawl under a rock and give us peace!

foreveruntitled
20-Sep-08, 12:39
Good thread, still a bit early for a definitive list but here's a few albums I've massively enjoyed this year:
Laura Marling - Ghosts, glad she got the recognition she deserved when she was nominated for the Mercury Music prize, fantastically good album.

Im assuming you mean her 'Alas I Cannot Swim' album? If so, I totally agree, definitely up there with my favourite albums of the year.
Aside from that, Im a huge fan of the Vampire Weekend album as it never gets old and the Mystery Jets album '21' is a cracker too.

Blast!
20-Sep-08, 12:40
Im assuming you mean her 'Alas I Cannot Swim' album? If so, I totally agree, definitely up there with my favourite albums of the year.
Aside from that, Im a huge fan of the Vampire Weekend album as it never gets old and the Mystery Jets album '21' is a cracker too.

Oops! That's what I meant yeah.

Blast!
20-Sep-08, 12:42
May I also add...

Johnny Foreigner - Waited Up 'til it Was Light, brilliant stuff.

Kenneth
20-Sep-08, 16:12

Friendly Fires - Friendly Fires, a bit of hype with these guy and they've lived up to it. Some of the best singles you'll hear this year.
Frightened Rabbit - The Midnight Organ Fight, this IS the best album of the year for sure. Written and recorded back in July '07 but released earlier this year, you won't see a finer Scottish band this year.
Los Campesinos! - Hold On Now, Youngster..., I love this lot. Some amazing songs and they've been fantastic the times I've gone to see them.
Sons & Daughters - This Gift, perhaps this can be a little samey and fade off towards the end but there's no denying this is a fantastic record, glad to see another Scottish band making brilliant music.
Tokyo Police Club - Elephant Shell, some brilliant little songs on this long player, love it.
Conor Oberst - Conor Oberst, there's no way this could have been bad. This man has made great records since he was 16 and this one is up there with them all.
Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago, beautifully minamalistic, can't really fault the bloke.
Fleet Foxes - Sun Giant, Only five songs long but possibly the most beatiful five songs on anything released this year.

Worst? I don't know. I don't listen to crap music. The Ting Tings are a poor excuse for a band and I imagine their LP is pretty terrible. If yon three singles are the best they can do I suggest they crawl under a rock and give us peace!

Excellent choices there Blast! Really want to buy Fleet Foxes album, "White Winter Hymnal" is just amazing. Heard Tokyo Police Club a while ago on MTV2, quite liked whatever track it was, but and didnt hear much else from them, might download a few of their songs and if I like might get the album! Sons and Daughters, that's a massive shout, brilliant album! And Scottish, you can't fault them really. Laura Marling has got a pure lovely voice n all, I actually bought her for my dads birthday, but the CD has sneaked its way back into my collection haha. Loved her tune with Mystery Jets as well. Speaking of which, another great album, iv still to buy the first tho!

Check out Jim Noir blast and tell me what u think!! Hopefully you'll like seeing as you've got decent taste in music!

zebedy
22-Sep-08, 18:24
Black Swan from Story Of The Year is a beast imo :P

beephope
01-Oct-08, 22:33
Agree with Vampire Weekend, Bon Ivor, Fleet Foxes etc. but also would add Shortwave Set - Replica Sun Machine, and also my most played album so far this year, Thao & the Get Down Stay Down - We Brave Bee Stings and All. Fabulous if you like quirky girly singers

hotrod4
11-Oct-08, 18:27
The new oasis album is defintiely my album of the year!
It is very "beatles-esque" but thats a good thing, Liams voice on his "lennon" track is amazing and puts shivers down my spine, its that good.
I was worried it may be duff but its anything but.
A fantastic return to form :)

loganbiffy
12-Oct-08, 02:04
The new oasis album is defintiely my album of the year!
It is very "beatles-esque" but thats a good thing, Liams voice on his "lennon" track is amazing and puts shivers down my spine, its that good.
I was worried it may be duff but its anything but.
A fantastic return to form :)

I agree.
I like all their albums but this is top drawer!
Liam is some vocalist!!

hotrod4
12-Oct-08, 06:14
Worst album of the year-Glasvegas.
Thought it would be a "grower" but alas no, every song sounds the same and is very repetetive and over produced, after I heard "daddy's gone" I couldnt wait to hear the rest but it was an over-hyped dissapointment. I really wanted to like it but just couldnt get into it even after playing it in the car for a week!

celtic 302
25-Nov-08, 00:26
I have decided to cheat for this answer. The best albums for me are the 30+ Tom Waits I have bought/"borrowed" this year. Discovered him around new year, and haven't stop listening to him. Even got tickets to see him in Dublin. The GREATEST SHOW EVER! No joke. Unbelievable.

And to properly answer the question, I like coldplay's new album.

Olin
27-Nov-08, 17:12
I would say The Game's album L.A.X. is one of the best albums out this year....

Another is Snow Patrols!

If yer don't like it then fair enough but I believe it was a question thread.

loganbiffy
27-Nov-08, 17:47
It's a tough choice tbh, Mogwai's new album is quality, as is Weezer's and the Offspring's latest offerings.

Death Magnetic is also a beast of an album.

sphinx
02-Dec-08, 19:12
richard ashcroft his music takes some beating best artist ive herd lately

Metalattakk
03-Dec-08, 03:27
Seriously, I don't think I've acquired an album that was released this year at all.

Oh wait, my daughter gave me 'Death Magnetic' for my birthday. Quite decent, and a welcome return to form, but not quite stellar if you know what I mean.

And the latest AC/DC album is another - one I downloaded, listened to two or three times, and then deleted. Most disappointing. :(

All in all, I don't think it's been a great year for music of my particular taste. Ach well, at least I've still got the '70s and '80s to fall back on... :D

Jeid
03-Dec-08, 19:07
All in all, I don't think it's been a great year for music of my particular taste. Ach well, at least I've still got the '70s and '80s to fall back on... :D

You should join Estrella... http://nicoclub.com/Noah/facepalm.gif

Metalattakk
03-Dec-08, 19:22
You should join Estrella... http://nicoclub.com/Noah/facepalm.gif

Nah, they'll be due a Punk phase any day now, I reckon.... ;)

The Pepsi Challenge
04-Dec-08, 13:57
Before the year is out I better suggest A Different Season by The Shee (www.myspace.com/theshee) as the best album of 2008.

Kenneth
04-Dec-08, 15:47
richard ashcroft his music takes some beating best artist ive herd lately

New album hasnt really interested me, but I haven't listened to it all. Love is Noise was pretty poor I thought, but maybe im hoping for another Urban Hymns, which is IMPOSSIBLE