PDA

View Full Version : retail swizzes

Skerries
13-Sep-08, 08:54
We are always hearing about how the supermarkets and shops are doing their bit to keep prices down during the "credit crunch" but how often do you see something in the shops that is obviously a swizz?

I've seen items in local shops that are originally from Lidl with several pounds mark up, and the other day I bought "medium" eggs from Tesco and discovered they were almost the size of quail eggs. I'm sure these would have been classed as "small" eggs a while ago. That's the last time I buy eggs there in an emergency!

Has anybody else noticed obvious swizzes?

_Ju_
13-Sep-08, 09:15
There is a standard for egg sizes. They have to be from 53 to 63gr in weight. If less than 53gr, they have to be sold as small or else Tesco would be commiting fraud. So, if you can, weigh them individually and see what you come up with.

Rheghead
13-Sep-08, 12:55
There is a standard for egg sizes. They have to be from 53 to 63gr in weight. If less than 53gr, they have to be sold as small or else Tesco would be commiting fraud. So, if you can, weigh them individually and see what you come up with.

So what you are saying is that there is no room for interpretation and all shops have to abide by the same standard, if the eggs are underweight then skerries can go back and make Tesco answer for their crime?

balto
13-Sep-08, 13:51
cant say i hve noticed this with eggs, but have noticed it with other things, while they get smaller the price gets bigger.

Kenn
13-Sep-08, 15:06
I've noticed that the size of a loaf of bread has shrunk, went to make some sandwiches today and the new loaf had considerably smaller slices!

Bad Manners
13-Sep-08, 15:18
cant say i hve noticed this with eggs, but have noticed it with other things, while they get smaller the price gets bigger.
All the shops are the same prices get bigger wallet gets smaller.

_Ju_
13-Sep-08, 18:13
So what you are saying is that there is no room for interpretation and all shops have to abide by the same standard, if the eggs are underweight then skerries can go back and make Tesco answer for their crime?

What I am saying is that food reatil is one of the most regulated industries. There is absolutely no room for interpretation with the weight of eggs and no overlap. There is prescriptive legislation that defines what a medium size egg with objective parameters and no subjective interpretation at all. If any food business had scales which were overweighing ( as in saying things were heavier that they are), they would be stealing from the customer. The same with the eggs.

British egg sizes standard is as follows:

Very Large
73g +over

Large
63 - 73g

Medium
53 - 63g

Small
53g +under

Tristan
13-Sep-08, 18:27
You need to take a calculator around nowadays. With all the 3 for 2, 4 for £5 etc. They can hide the real price in what looks like a bargain but can often be more than the same product in different packaging.
I have also found it very amusing (and this one is not new) the bulk items are often more per 100g than the regular size product. I may be wrong but the UK is one of the only countries that this happens in.

Kevin Milkins
13-Sep-08, 19:05
Hence the bakers dozen.

wifie
13-Sep-08, 20:05
You need to take a calculator around nowadays. With all the 3 for 2, 4 for £5 etc. They can hide the real price in what looks like a bargain but can often be more than the same product in different packaging.
I have also found it very amusing (and this one is not new) the bulk items are often more per 100g than the regular size product. I may be wrong but the UK is one of the only countries that this happens in.

You are quite right Tristan I have noticed this a few times - keeps the brain in gear doin the shoppin tho tryin to spot the real bargain! :confused (If there is such a thing wi rocketin prices these days!)
I have noticed on here a lot of people complaining that Tesco "special offers" are not being charged correctly on till receipts. My cousin and I have just been chatting and she has had this happen to her a lot (perhaps she is a very canny shopper!) but she discovered on a trip to Inverness that Tesco give double the refund if you have been overcharged in this way. She has never been offered this in Thurso and has contacted Tesco to bring this to their attention. Hope this is useful to any Orgers to whom this may have happened.

Skerries
14-Sep-08, 17:27

Call me a pedant but I'm going to weigh my eggs!

Sapphire2803
14-Sep-08, 17:30
Call me a pedant but I'm going to weigh my eggs!

You egg weighing pedant! ;)

joxville
14-Sep-08, 17:44
Check this site for egg information:

http://www.britegg.co.uk/ukeggs05/ukeggs3.html

Skerries
14-Sep-08, 18:07
Thanks for the link.

I pedantically weighed the six Tesco eggs I had left from the dozen I bought and, although I don't have a digital scale, it looks like two were 50g and one was less than that.

So half of the "medium" eggs were actually "small". If all boxes were like that, which they may or may not be, that could be quite a profit for the supermarket, especially when you consider that the egg supplier will be paid the correct rate for the weight.

Perhaps I should call the trading standards department...

joxville
14-Sep-08, 18:11
I've noticed that the size of a loaf of bread has shrunk, went to make some sandwiches today and the new loaf had considerably smaller slices!

From my time of working in a bakery I'm sure there is a law which states they must weigh either 400g or 800g, regardless of the style of loaf.

Tristan
14-Sep-08, 20:26
Thanks for the link.

I pedantically weighed the six Tesco eggs I had left from the dozen I bought and, although I don't have a digital scale, it looks like two were 50g and one was less than that.

So half of the "medium" eggs were actually "small". If all boxes were like that, which they may or may not be, that could be quite a profit for the supermarket, especially when you consider that the egg supplier will be paid the correct rate for the weight.

Perhaps I should call the trading standards department...

You should weigh all three at one that would give you a better idea.

If you are in Tesco you should check the other packages. There is a chance some unscrupulous person may have switched the medium eggs for small.