PDA

View Full Version : Northern Lights

janemac
10-Sep-08, 11:11
Hi everyone,

I am wondering if anyone could tell me if you see the Northern Lights in Caithness and if so, roughly when?

I would love to see them!

Welcomefamily
10-Sep-08, 11:13
December...........ish

davem
10-Sep-08, 11:36
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/today.html

Gives you a prediction of solar activity, you need solar activity and a clear autumn or winters night. A few years ago there was a real concentration of solar activity and really good sightings.

Check out
http://www.highlandeye.com/gallery.asp?catid=24&page=2

Most of all you need to be around for a while - they're amazing when they come but what makes it better is you don't see them very often.

Patience is a neccessity rather than a virtue to see them.
Good luck
Dave

janemac
10-Sep-08, 12:48
thanks will check the sites out... am going to be waiting patiently :D

teenybash
10-Sep-08, 13:16
I start sky watching from October on and because I live in the country....no street lights, the sights of the silent symphonies of the Northern lights are wonderous..........:)

skinnydog
10-Sep-08, 13:18
I have lived in Caithness for 15 years and have only seen them once and that was in the middle of Thurso. Wasn't a particulary spectacular display, just some greenish lines in the sky but I was delighted that I managed to catch even that small glimpse.

Did anyone see the Joanna Lumley programme on tv the other night when she went up to the Arctic Circle to see them? Now that was simply breathtaking!!

Geo
10-Sep-08, 13:39
I've seen them loads of times in Caithness. They're amazing. I keep a look out for them over the winter. We are at the start of the sun spot cycle just now so hopefully the displays will be getting better and better over the next few years.

I have some nice aurora pictures from around the world on my caithness page: http://www.hookeslaw.com/caithness.htm

Scroll down to the bottom and click on the small pictures to see a bigger version.

AfternoonDelight
10-Sep-08, 13:43
I have lived in Caithness for 15 years and have only seen them once and that was in the middle of Thurso. Wasn't a particulary spectacular display, just some greenish lines in the sky but I was delighted that I managed to catch even that small glimpse.

Did anyone see the Joanna Lumley programme on tv the other night when she went up to the Arctic Circle to see them? Now that was simply breathtaking!!

Yes, Skinnydog I saw it - I they were going to be a no show until I realised they wouldn't be showing the programme unless they made an appearance. Truly wonderful!! :Razz

Valerie Campbell
10-Sep-08, 14:04
I remember seeing them at the end of October just outside Watten. They were absolutely spectacular.

janemac
10-Sep-08, 16:30
i saw the Joanna Lumley programme and am hoping to catch a glimpse of them up here. I live out of town so have nice dark skys!

the charlatans
10-Sep-08, 20:05
The thing about the northern lights is - dinny look for them and they appear. I waited all last winter and saw none, the year before I saw loads.

The Joanna Lumley programme was beautifully shot, but having been to the Lofoten Islands off Norway it is really difficult to take a bad picture as it is as stunning as it looks. The place she stayed at in A (pronounced O - explain that one) had an interesting museum and restaurant where the buffet had Seagull eggs on the menu - i still baulk when i think of them sitting there in amongst the pickled herring.[disgust]
However we were there mid summer and no northern lights on account of the sun didn't got down.

But we do get them in Caithness and they are amazing.

nellie
10-Sep-08, 20:26
Freswick looking towards Warth Hill about harvest time is the best place to see them-they are spectacular from that point:cool:

balto
10-Sep-08, 20:26
i have seen these once, after i moved to thurso, must admit i was really impressed with them.

wifie
10-Sep-08, 20:40
Have seen them twice in Caithness - totally beautiful!

smithp
10-Sep-08, 20:46
From memory (dodgy) the lights are on an eleven year cycle - and we are currently year 3 - so prospects of a really good sight aren't good - however have seen them in year 1 & 2. (but not great)

highlander
10-Sep-08, 20:55
They are so beautiful to see, you will be mesmerized (everytime i use this word, i end up singing "The Streak" one of the lyrics was "DONT LOOK eithel, too late shes mesmerizedddddddddddddd") oops back to topic, anyhow the best thing to do is get out in the country as someone already said, years ago they were so bright our dogs was chashing the dancing lights on the ground trying to catch them, it was so funny. lol

speedo215
10-Sep-08, 23:16
there was a good display circa 2003/04 that i remember seeing walking home, so i went up to the spare bedroom put the lights put and it was 1 of the most amzing things i have seen

joxville
11-Sep-08, 16:53
I lived in Thurso for 11 years and not once did I see them. Starting work through the night meant I was always in bed sleeping whenever there was a light show.:(