PDA

View Full Version : Saturday shopping

nellie
09-Sep-08, 14:04
:roll:Went to do week-end shopping on Saturday in the Co.Op was greeted by female with tin collecting for Sally Army same female had already had money of me infront of Woolworths the two previous Sat.went further in female sitting collecting for some foreign country again had already donated to this cause previously.Have other people felt embarrassed about this,after all the old age pension hardly covers the needful things

hotrod4
09-Sep-08, 14:09
If i dont want to give I just avoid eye contact with them.I look around me. But there does seem to always be something that we are asked to give to on a weekly basis.If someone wants to give to charity then they can do it in their own time rather than feel "pushed" into it.I give to the charities I support on a yearly basis,if I gave to all the charities out there I'd have no money left!

arana negra
09-Sep-08, 14:29
All tin rattlers get the bog standard reply from me... I give directly to the charities of my choice, thankyou.

cd1977
09-Sep-08, 15:58
I also have no time for scroungers. Especially those who chap on your door looking for cash for some obscure nonsense which may or may not be genuine.

If everybody gave them nothing, they would soon find something better to do on a Saturday.

Fluff
09-Sep-08, 18:38
I know what you mean Nellie. The air ambulance for down here often collects i the shopping center, usually with a coupe of collectors on each entrance. Of course, you go in the shopping centre one way and come out another, they don't know if you have given anything already, i always feel alittle guilty.
But I do always make sure I get a sticker and display it so it can be seen so they know lol!

balto
09-Sep-08, 20:39
If i dont want to give I just avoid eye contact with them.I look around me. But there does seem to always be something that we are asked to give to on a weekly basis.If someone wants to give to charity then they can do it in their own time rather than feel "pushed" into it.I give to the charities I support on a yearly basis,if I gave to all the charities out there I'd have no money left!
thats exactly what i do, just dont look at them and they soon take the hint, between bag packers, people selling raffles at the entrance to supermarkets, and people going round with their tins, now dont get me wrong i am not a total scrooge, just like a lot of people out there i cant afford to give to everyone, i like to choose who i give to not have it forced down my neck.

TBH
09-Sep-08, 20:44
The government relies on charities to bail them out rather than provide adequate funding for say, cancer research.

balto
09-Sep-08, 20:49
The government relies on charities to bail them out rather than provide adequate funding for say, cancer research.
cancer research is one charity i dont have a problem giving to as it ffects everyone someway or another.

TBH
09-Sep-08, 21:09
cancer research is one charity i dont have a problem giving to as it ffects everyone someway or another.I know that cancer research is only one charity but where does it all end? Through kind donations many charities have benefited but where does that leave our Government? Do they get to shirk responsibility because people are willing to go out and raise money? They should be doing more for these worthy causes and not be allowed to rely only on the generosity of their electorate, who are mostly hard pushed financially as it is.

Welcomefamily
09-Sep-08, 21:46
I agree nellie, some of the collectors can be in little in your face, you should never feel guility about saying no.

TBH
09-Sep-08, 21:51
I agree nellie, some of the collectors can be in little in your face, you should never feel guility about saying no.
They are not in your face, they are trying to do what's best for their particular charity. I doubt their aim is to make anyone feel guilty.