PDA

View Full Version : Mini Motos

connieb19
03-Jan-06, 15:51
Is any-one else plagued with the noise of these things since Christmas?
I was visiting my mother yesterday, who lives beside an area of ground where several kids on their mini motos are playing. Its been non stop since Christmas. She dosn't mind because she's going deaf now but i'm afraid I couldn't stay and listen for very long! Maybe some locals should get togeher and find these kids somewhere they can go, where they wont be causing a nuisence!

landmarker
03-Jan-06, 18:22
Oh dear.
We were plagued a year or two go by people old enough to know better roaring around the footpaths on our quiet estate. How I wished one might fall off and break a leg, if only to discourage others.

Kids have been killed on these things down here. Young men with a motorbike bent should get a proper one and get it on the road.

Our local council now has a programme of crushing the machines in full swing.
They sound like crazed wasps - and are about as useful to adults.
If children have to ride these things let it be on private ground.

No biking killjoy me, I remember riding a James 98cc bike around the banks of the Mersey when I was a kid and I've done thousands of miles on proper bikes. I'm all for children learning to ride early - but not at the expense of others peace and quiet.

connieb19
03-Jan-06, 18:55
If I was a bit younger, I wouldn't mind a go myself...
It's such a pity they have no-where to go, Surely the parents thought of this before they bought them!:confused: The ones I saw had no protective clothing or helmets and one or two were even on the main road with them. Is just an accident waithing to happen. I mean these are not toys, surely the children should be supervised!!

tierce-de-picardie
03-Jan-06, 20:15
thats not very nice wishing some one to fall off and break a leg. these mini motos are designed for every age group. And really can u tell me when anyone is truly old enough to know better.Ive got a mini moto which i usually use on my land.

Think about it use were kids once i guess its a rebelious stage in ther life u wud av done exactly the same if u had had access to such deivses.

I think connie is bein more openminded about it at least she is sugestin there is a place designated landmarker you seem to jsut want to spoil their fun because it doesnt suit you. And your council seems very un proactive towards your youths and if i lived there ide purposly du my best to hack everyone off id no1 was to put any effort in for our needs

So i agreee more with connie and she has every right to be angry about noise i cant say im the most quiet of neighbours but hey.

landmarker
03-Jan-06, 20:23
thats not very nice wishing some one to fall off and break a leg.. ....

I know it isn't. Roaring around metre wide footpaths at speeds in excess of twenty mph isn't nice either. Especially if, as a pedestrian, you happen to get in the way. These numpties were in their twenties and had often been drinking.

tierce-de-picardie
03-Jan-06, 20:32
ye why didnt u say so though to me it sounded liek you were talkin about 15 16 yr olds. the easy thing would have been to phone the police cos its always sods law when it comes to wishes like that they will end up hittin some poor person breaking thier leg but they will get away scott free eh.

connieb19
03-Jan-06, 20:33
thats not very nice wishing some one to fall off and break a leg. these mini motos are designed for every age group. And really can u tell me when anyone is truly old enough to know better.Ive got a mini moto which i usually use on my land.

Think about it use were kids once i guess its a rebelious stage in ther life u wud av done exactly the same if u had had access to such deivses.

I think connie is bein more openminded about it at least she is sugestin there is a place designated landmarker you seem to jsut want to spoil their fun because it doesnt suit you. And your council seems very un proactive towards your youths and if i lived there ide purposly du my best to hack everyone off id no1 was to put any effort in for our needs

So i agreee more with connie and she has every right to be angry about noise i cant say im the most quiet of neighbours but hey.I am quitesure you are right..i'm sure I would have done exactly the same at that age..I only wish I had the opportunity! That is how I can perfectly understand that these kids need somewhere to go.
If I had a kid who wanted one of these things I would make sure he/she had some were to go otherwise I wouldn't buy one.
I wonder how many parents have actually thought about it beforehand and have the private land available.
If these kids are old enough to ride these things unsupervised then surely they should have the sense not to go on the main road with them!!
Im not setting out to spoil the fun for any-one. Quite the opposite in fact!
These kids are going to spoil the fun for all of themselves quite soon enough unless they
use a bit more sense and stay off the roads!!

unicorn
03-Jan-06, 20:39
I have to put up with a nimpty on a farm sized quad driving around like a lunatic and he is pushing 50!! no helmet no nothing in a built up area and we talk about kids!!

tierce-de-picardie
03-Jan-06, 20:42
yus thats all true i bought mine a couple of summers ago ive got a gud half acre to an acre of garden to ride in which is suffiecient and a confession ide occasionally nip to the shop but ide where a helmet and so on.

i did hear that there wos a commitee or summthing along those lines for a track to be madefor the minimotos. we'l just have to see i guess.

im at the age i can get myself a roady worthy bike so as soon i scrape together the money ill get myself sorted but cant see that being soon

JAWS
03-Jan-06, 21:57
Ah well, I remember the bad old days.
"Stop kicking that ball against the wall it's annoying me."
"Clear off before before you break a window!"
"Stop chalking on the pavement!"
"Stop riding your bike like a hooligan!"
"Stop playing football or I'll get the Police on you!"
"Stop hanging round here and clear off, you're making too much noise!"

Of course, I never behaved like that, honest! (Shut up Mother!)
I'm glad people are so much more tollerant with kids playing these days!
As for drunken adults behaving like hooligans that's not the fault of the mini-motos that's the fault of the drunken adults.
There are plenty of powers to deal with them including spending a night in a cell and explaining their behaviour to the Sheriff.

tierce-de-picardie
03-Jan-06, 23:16
he he thats the one. i du mind alot of them specially chalkin on the pavement but we did it more just to annoy the folks complainin they nvr designatetd an area for us.

angela5
06-Jan-06, 01:30
he he thats the one. i du mind alot of them specially chalkin on the pavement but we did it more just to annoy the folks complainin they nvr designatetd an area for us.

No they never did they, we were chased everywhere we played. My grandmother once said to me ' children should be seen and not heard' if only she were here today, she would soon chase the mini-moto crew.

ice box
06-Jan-06, 01:46
Is any-one else plagued with the noise of these things since Christmas?
I was visiting my mother yesterday, who lives beside an area of ground where several kids on their mini motos are playing. Its been non stop since Christmas. She dosn't mind because she's going deaf now but i'm afraid I couldn't stay and listen for very long! Maybe some locals should get togeher and find these kids somewhere they can go, where they wont be causing a nuisence!
What area was it connie we have the same problem ?

connieb19
06-Jan-06, 01:55
What area was it connie we have the same problem ?Its up at the old bmx track..on the way to the trinkie

JAWS
06-Jan-06, 04:11
My grandmother once said to me ' children should be seen and not heard' if only she were here today, she would soon chase the mini-moto crew.

My Grandmother was far less trusting. She always used to say, "Children who were seen but not heard had usually just done something terrible."

Alice in Blunderland
06-Jan-06, 08:48
I was expecting my son to ask me for one of these bikes for christmas luckily for me he didnt as my thoughts were where on earth would he go with it.I am all for letting kids play but safety is an issue if they are just finding anywhere to ride these machines.Its like buying the kids a pair of ice skates when there is no skating rink they will improvise and not always safely.

angela5
06-Jan-06, 09:06
I was expecting my son to ask me for one of these bikes for christmas luckily for me he didnt as my thoughts were where on earth would he go with it.I am all for letting kids play but safety is an issue if they are just finding anywhere to ride these machines.Its like buying the kids a pair of ice skates when there is no skating rink they will improvise and not always safely.

My son did ask for one, i refuse to buy one when there is nowhere safe to ride on them if there was a area for the sole purpose of mini-motos i may then think about one.

brandy
06-Jan-06, 10:20
heard on radio one yesterday that the forst man ever was banned from driving for drink driving on a mini moto ..

angela5
06-Jan-06, 20:46
You should hear them in the north school park i am sick to the back teeth of this day in day out racket. Today i noticed someone riding around the park on a quad, mini motos is bad enough around 5 of them all riding around but a quad that's taking it too far.

Maybe i have missed something is this the new gathering for them, not one child was wearing any safety gear either are the parents not concerned?
I noticed aswell a police car driving past slowly they never went over to the kids.
There is a sign displayed no ball games:confused: well i can only assume these things are allowed but someone playing with a ball would be chased out.

krieve
06-Jan-06, 20:58
You should hear them in the north school park i am sick to the back teeth of this day in day out racket. Today i noticed someone riding around the park on a quad, mini motos is bad enough around 5 of them all riding around but a quad that's taking it too far.

Maybe i have missed something is this the new gathering for them, not one child was wearing any safety gear either are the parents not concerned?
I noticed aswell a police car driving past slowly they never went over to the kids.
There is a sign displayed no ball games:confused: well i can only assume these things are allowed but someone playing with a ball would be chased out.
Went to take the dog out earlier and one was going up and down the pavement outside my house. My dog was to scared to go out so had to wait until they were finished. Another time i had her out at the old bmx track and there was a few bairns on there quad bike and scramblers and one of them nearly ran her over i think that why she won't go out now when the are on the go with them.

connieb19
06-Jan-06, 21:10

There is a sign displayed no ball games:confused: well i can only assume these things are allowed but someone playing with a ball would be chased out.What is the law on these things? I've been watching some of these kids going about on this things and I can barely look. What a difference not even a coule of weeks have passed and they have gotten so brave now. The first few days they had helmets(some of them) but now I hardly see any wearing them and they are tearing up and down the road. I don't want to sound like a spoilsport but someone is going to get hurt. Are the police turning a blind eye or what?

ice box
06-Jan-06, 21:54
My brother had one and one night the police told them to stay off the road . So they asked them were can we go and the reply was to the glass factory . I've noticed that the skate broad ramps up at the grizzly are finished and i dont see alot of kids on skate at it they just seem to run all over it with bikes .So what iam trying to say is that they should get together and try and get a mini moto track coz thev'e wasted money on that skate broad thing .

angela5
06-Jan-06, 22:00
We adults need to be careful aswell, i was walking up argyle square one day and this little boy was tearing up and down on one, no protective gear.
I was ever so glad to have got threw there in one piece, i don't know what parents must be thinking....not safety anyway.

ice box
06-Jan-06, 22:17
Iknow any were there s striaght road there on it you think the police we do somthing someone is going to get hurt and then who get the blame for ?

angela5
06-Jan-06, 22:21
[quote=ice box]Iknow any were there s striaght road there on it you think the police we do somthing someone is going to get hurt and then who get the blame for ?[/quote

The parents are responsible for their own children but if an accident happens then it will be someone else's.:rolleyes:

Alice in Blunderland
07-Jan-06, 00:45
If there were to be somewhere for the mini motos to go where would it be.They do seem to make a bit of a noise and if it were too near to houses it will certainly drive people nuts.I can see me being a very unpopular mum if my son or daughter ever do eventualy ask for one .The A&E department can only get busier in the hospital.The kids are only wanting to have fun but it needs to be in a safe environment with the right equipment.

ice box
07-Jan-06, 00:48
If there were to be somewhere for the mini motos to go where would it be.They do seem to make a bit of a noise and if it were too near to houses it will certainly drive people nuts.I can see me being a very unpopular mum if my son or daughter ever do eventualy ask for one .The A&E department can only get busier in the hospital.The kids are only wanting to have fun but it needs to be in a safe environment with the right equipment.
How about the new business park it seems to be coming deralict what a waste money .

Alice in Blunderland
07-Jan-06, 00:58
Now theres an idea no houses around them to annoy. They would probably ride out to it on their bikes on the path that might be a pain though.lol

connieb19
07-Jan-06, 01:01
What I can't understand though, is the parents buying these things when the kids have nowhere to go! Is it just a case of "right theres your mini moto, off you go" and are glad of the peace, or what? If I had a kid theres no way it would be on the streets with one of them!!

unicorn
07-Jan-06, 01:02
As far as I am aware if they are on a public path or highway without tax mot and insurance it is illegal as they are motorised and the same safety rules must apply as normal motorbikes as some of these things go in excess of 50mph... great ***toy*** for children?????????

angela5
07-Jan-06, 01:04
As far as I am aware if they are on a public path or highway without tax mot and insurance it is illegal as they are motorised and the same safety rules must apply as normal motorbikes as some of these things go in excess of 50mph... great ***toy*** for children?????????

This is what the parents should be told when buying these things.

unicorn
07-Jan-06, 01:08
its like everything though so many parents do absolutely no research before buying... a bit off topic here but an example is I had chinchilla's that had babies that i have kept and I was amazed at how many parents wanted 1 as a pet for their children cos they r so cute and cuddly looking they changed their minds fast when I said well they are until they bite your childs finger off!!

Alice in Blunderland
07-Jan-06, 01:09
Am I not right in thinking when you start to ride a motorbike you have to sit a small awareness test to prove you are competent to ride your bike (CBT).It doesnt seem right that you can buy one of these hand it to a child and say off you go have some fun.You are right they do require road tax and so on if you are on the road with them.

angela5
07-Jan-06, 01:11
Am I not right in thinking when you start to ride a motorbike you have to sit a small awareness test to prove you are competent to ride your bike (CBT).It doesnt seem right that you can buy one of these hand it to a child and say off you go have some fun.You are right they do require road tax and so on if you are on the road with them.

Why is nothing done about this? or is it like everthing else they wait until an accident happens.

unicorn
07-Jan-06, 01:11
What it really needs I suppose is some people actually being charged for breaking the law then people will start to realise what they need before a child is seriously hurt.

connieb19
07-Jan-06, 01:13
its like everything though so many parents do absolutely no research before buying... a bit off topic here but an example is I had chinchilla's that had babies that i have kept and I was amazed at how many parents wanted 1 as a pet for their children cos they r so cute and cuddly looking they changed their minds fast when I said well they are until they bite your childs finger off!!It's just the same with puppies and kittens. Folk want them because they're cute. As soon as they grow to full size the kids loose interest!! People should think before thy get any pet, it's not very fair on the animal. I don't think animals should be sold in pet shops either!!

ice box
07-Jan-06, 01:14
Same here my little chul wants a quad lol so do i but if i get him one we have some were to run it i used to work on a farm so i know a lot of farmers . but most of the mad mini moto club run the streets and the ones with quads run about on the waste land up at the old bmx track which is ok til i take the dog for a walk she go mad with the nosie of them running riot .

angela5
07-Jan-06, 01:15
It's just the same with puppies and kittens. Folk want them because they're cute. As soon as they grow to full size the kids loose interest!! People should think before thy get any pet, it's not very fair on the animal. I don't think animals should be sold in pet shops either!!

I know someone who is'nt good to there 1 year old dog what did she get her kids for christmas, a new puppy.

unicorn
07-Jan-06, 01:16
I feel the start of a new thread coming on lol!!!!!

connieb19
07-Jan-06, 01:17
Same here my little chul wants a quad lol so do i but if i get him one we have some were to run it i used to work on a farm so i know a lot of farmers . but most of the mad mini moto club run the streets and the ones with quads run about on the waste land up at the old bmx track which is ok til i take the dog for a walk she go mad with the nosie of them running riot .One of the kids I saw today was on a proper adults moped, no helmet, running mad with the rest of them..the waste land is okay...if you don't live next to it!!

angela5
07-Jan-06, 01:17
I feel the start of a new thread coming on lol!!!!!

lol. That happens in conversations we tend to drift a bit.

Alice in Blunderland
07-Jan-06, 01:29
I agree unicorn I am sure if I went on the road with no mot tax or insurance I would soon be dealt with when caught.I wonder who would be charged kids or parents?

connieb19
07-Jan-06, 01:30
I agree unicorn I am sure if I went on the road with no mot tax or insurance I would soon be dealt with when caught.I wonder who would be charged kids or parents?Hmm now that would be interesting to know?

Alice in Blunderland
07-Jan-06, 01:33
Might make the parents stop and think for a momment before parting with the cash.

unicorn
07-Jan-06, 01:36
I assume the parents as the kids are too young

ice box
07-Jan-06, 01:44
Young at that one boy that lives beside me must be same age as my son 6

unicorn
07-Jan-06, 01:52
seeing kids on bikes scares me enough they have no fear at all, but the thought of an unsupervised 6 year old hurtling along at 50 miles an hour terrifies me

Alice in Blunderland
07-Jan-06, 10:45
I agree unicorn young kids have no fear and on top of a machine capable of such speed, an accident waiting to happen.I know if I handed one to my son he would be up for anything as life is one big adventure to a ten year old.In the right environment with the right equipment and supervision I would be able to be persuaded by him but not at the momment when you see kids driving around like they are just now some of them not even with a crash helmet.

rich62_uk
07-Jan-06, 11:10
Down here in the south the child would be told to go home and take their bike with them, if they see the child again the same would happen they would just keep moving him/her on, unless they (the police) where harassed enough by the local residents then they might and I stress might take the child home to the parents and have a firm word with them. Eventualy after many many complaints the child would be taken to the station the parents would be called another firm talking to etc and so it continues ...... new policy for police, be nice to the children rather than arresting them. At best they will be arrested then not charged, nothing ziltch zero.
One other thing I was told by a policeman last week was most of the parents are begging the police to help them as they have no control over their own children, the police can do nothing, the children know this and use this to their own advantage..... Trish.
ps..on average the children are aged between 8 and 16

Alice in Blunderland
07-Jan-06, 11:38
I could be wrong in some cases it seems that the parents are happy to have the kids out as it means they dont have them under their feet.Maybe I am an overbearing mother but I like to know where my kids are what they are doing and who they are doing it with and at this momment not doing anything on a mini moto.

rich62_uk
07-Jan-06, 11:56
I could be wrong in some cases it seems that the parents are happy to have the kids out as it means they dont have them under their feet.Maybe I am an overbearing mother but I like to know where my kids are what they are doing and who they are doing it with and at this momment not doing anything on a mini moto.

WELL SAID !!!

krieve
07-Jan-06, 13:32
I saw a mini moto in tesco and the age limit was 8 years old i think this is far to young. The mini motos go at 30 miles an hours or something like that, I have seen younger children going about on these things.

Back in april i was at the sick childrens hospital in edinburgh with my son who is 6 now but was 5 back then. He made friends with this other boy who was a couple of months older than him. The boys dad had bought him a moto and the boy was out playing on the bike by himself. He came of it at it top speed and hit the ground face down. He was a lovely (little boy) his whole side of his face needed skin graphs and his arm and leg. He was in so much pain and was in there for 2 months and had to go back every couple of days to get it checked.
I don't know how long in total he spend in hospital but having seen this poor little boy in so much pain my 2 boys will not be getting a mini moto.

connieb19
07-Jan-06, 15:39
I could be wrong in some cases it seems that the parents are happy to have the kids out as it means they dont have them under their feet.Maybe I am an overbearing mother but I like to know where my kids are what they are doing and who they are doing it with and at this momment not doing anything on a mini moto.That is so true alice...

AR
07-Jan-06, 17:07
I thought quads and scramblers have been used around the bmx track for years? A guy that lives near there and has a quad says(i know, its a bit iffy!)
that after complaints the kids(big and little) only go there at certain times,such as 9 am to 8pm(i cant remember what times he actualy said) But this was before mini motos took off.

Alice in Blunderland
08-Jan-06, 11:54
A designated area for them would be an answer with all the right safety equipment having said that there is a lovely skateboard park which I dont see many kids on whenever I pass.

angela5
08-Jan-06, 12:35
A designated area for them would be an answer with all the right safety equipment having said that there is a lovely skateboard park which I dont see many kids on whenever I pass.

How true alice, all the shouting kids did to get a skatepark now its there where are they, suppose the same applies to mini motos they'll shout for land to go and ride on and when its there they will have found something else to.

shrek_donkey
08-Jan-06, 12:58
I was told it is'nt finished so they are not supposed to be on it yet any way. They should have made an area suitable for all tyes of either bikes,skateboards, mini motos some where safe for them to go not just for skateboards .

angela5
08-Jan-06, 12:59
I was told it is'nt finished so they are not supposed to be on it yet any way. They should have made an area suitable for all tyes of either bikes,skateboards, mini motos some where safe for them to go not just for skateboards .

Never seems to be any work men there then if its not finished.

shrek_donkey
08-Jan-06, 13:18
Never seems to be any work men there then if its not finished.
The workmen are from down south i think you see a caravan there sometimes, they told the barins not to play on it because it was'nt finished I was also told that they are waiting to install lights.

angela5
08-Jan-06, 13:28
The workmen are from down south i think you see a caravan there sometimes, they told the barins not to play on it because it was'nt finished I was also told that they are waiting to install lights.

Maybe it will be ready for summer then hope the kids use it or it will be another waste of money.

Alice in Blunderland
08-Jan-06, 18:06
We will have to wait and see on that one.I wonder how long the lights they are waiting to install will last?

shrek_donkey
08-Jan-06, 19:59
I don't know thats what i heard anyway, some bairns a couple of days after it was made damaged some of it and i think it has been fix we will just have to wait and see how long it takes before it is wrecked.

Alice in Blunderland
08-Jan-06, 20:20
I f its anything like the nold not long and it was bigger kids who did most of the wrecking there.

angela5
08-Jan-06, 20:22
I f its anything like the nold not long and it was bigger kids who did most of the wrecking there.

Thats right alice that did'nt last long did it, i'll give the skatepark 3 days after the official opening for some yob to wreck it.