PDA

View Full Version : Maths tutor

Blondie
09-Sep-08, 11:40
I'm looking for a maths tutor to help with higher maths studies.

Can anyone recommend a tutor or point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

justine
09-Sep-08, 12:01
Have sent a pm

Venture
09-Sep-08, 12:32
I'm looking for a maths tutor to help with higher maths studies.

Can anyone recommend a tutor or point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Wick High School Parent Council discussed tutoring and the lack of it, at a recent meeting. Plans are afoot to set up a scheme which will involve teachers, pupils and ex- teachers offering extra tuition to pupils in all subjects and in all years. I'll update you when more details are available.

Blondie
09-Sep-08, 18:55
Thanks very much Venture.

router
10-Sep-08, 12:15
be sure you get a tutor who is actively teaching,especially if it's for a kid

Venture
10-Sep-08, 12:52
Can you explain what you mean.

router
10-Sep-08, 13:20
not all tutors are properly vetted,registered tutors, or up on the current curriculum.best going for a registered home tutor if you can find one.

Thumper
10-Sep-08, 13:23
Why not go for somebody who has just gone through theirs last year?They will be up to date with the current curriculum and know what its like to go through highers,I am sure there would be plenty of younger people who would be happy to help and(probably) be half the cost! x

AfternoonDelight
10-Sep-08, 13:58
Mmmm - I'd be careful about this... just because someone has passed an exam doesn't mean they will be competent, willing or able to teach it to others.

As was said before - best getting someone registered - at least you have references, disclosures etc... Just a thought...

Thumper
10-Sep-08, 14:24
You are right in a way there afternoondelight,but what i meant (and should have made clear in my post) was that maybe they know somebody in the year above that could help out and be trusted,my son studied with somebody who had done his highers the year before and he felt that it helped him quite a bit,in no way is it as good as a teacher but every little helps x

AfternoonDelight
10-Sep-08, 17:07
Absolutely, Thumper - might be cheaper too!! ;)

muffin
10-Sep-08, 17:56
Blondie,
Have sent you a pm,
Muffin