PDA

View Full Version : one cheer for sara palin

rich
08-Sep-08, 15:30
A crisis of sit-com proportions is shaking the USA - here comes Hurricane Sara!
I like her and she's obviiously a heck of a lot smarter than George W Bush
Comments?

http://eurekareporter.com/article/080905-one-cheer-for-sarah-palin

hotrod4
08-Sep-08, 15:49
Think she wont do very well as she doesnt have alot of experience. She's pro-life but also a member of NRA which is a bit of a clash to say the least!!!.
Think she's the token "female" for Mr Chip and cant see her bringing anything positive to the table. Personally i would vote for dreadnought if I was an American! ;)

Cattach
08-Sep-08, 16:12
I like her and she's obviiously a heck of a lot smarter than George W Bush
Comments?

http://eurekareporter.com/article/080905-one-cheer-for-sarah-palin

Better looking than George Bush, yes!! But 'a lot smarter'? Hopw do you know and time will tell if she ever gets to the White House. The Vice-President's post is a nothing job but there is always the chance of her being promoted if that old, sick man (what's his name!) gets in - just goes to show how memorable he is.

rich
08-Sep-08, 16:49
Judged by his reord George W Bush is either terminally stupid or completely evil. Sara Palin's record in Alaska is not bad. She's certainly gave the oil industry a good thrashing.
As for her lack of experience - just look at the mess the "experienced" foreign policy hands have got us into!
Also I think Alaska resembles Caithness in many ways - it's a special place with long dark winters and long bright summers and independent minded folk. Viva Alaska!!!! - maybe Thurso or Wick should get twinned with ALaskan towns rather than some place in Europe....

Sporran
08-Sep-08, 19:06
I like her and she's obviously a heck of a lot smarter than George W Bush
Comments?

Better looking than George Bush, yes!! But 'a lot smarter'?

Nobody can deny she's a good looking woman. She looks like a cross between Nana Mouskouri and Sophia Loren, when they were her age. And *of course* she's a lot smarter than George W Bush - that's not hard to beat!!

She's pro-life but also a member of NRA which is a bit of a clash to say the least!!!.

A big clash indeed!!!

Judged by his record George W Bush is either terminally stupid or completely evil.

Also I think Alaska resembles Caithness in many ways - it's a special place with long dark winters and long bright summers and independent minded folk. Viva Alaska!!!! - maybe Thurso or Wick should get twinned with Alaskan towns rather than some place in Europe....

I agree on both counts, rich. Geographically, Thurso and Wick are on almost the same latitude as Alaska's capital, Juneau! :cool:

JUNEAU - 58° 21′ 5″ N, 134° 30′ 42″ W

WICK - 58° 26′ 20.34″ N, 3° 5′ 12.85″ W

THURSO - 58° 35′ 46.54″ N, 3° 31′ 19.17″ W

George Brims
08-Sep-08, 20:40
I think I had better chip in on this one, as I just got back from a holiday in - Alaska!

The impression I got is that Sara Palin is more popular with the richer, whiter folk up there than with the more blue-collar and darker-skinned people. In Juneau we took a wee bus tour and as we passed the Governor's Mansion the driver told us that she almost never stayed in it, and in fact has been trying to move the State Capital from Juneau to somewhere more accessible (you can only get there by air or boat!). The locals had printed up bumper stickers that said "Where's Sara?".

The mention of Palin being both "pro-life" and an NRA supporter highlights one of the weird inconsistencies in American right-wing politics. If you mentioned that to a Republican, they would just say "So?". Not that people on the left are entirely consistent either. Being pro-gun in Alaska is a vote catcher. Everybody you talk to hunts. A lot of the tourists are there to hunt as well.

Having been on holiday, I have been almost completely out of touch with politics for two weeks, but a quick scan of news sites and yesterday's paper convinces me that overall Palin is (a) McCain's sop to the far right, who don't think he is conservative enough, and (b) a gift to the Democrats. Politically, she is George Bush in a skirt.

TBH
08-Sep-08, 21:09
Can you not be anti-abortion and have the right to bear arms at the same time?

MadPict
08-Sep-08, 21:24
It's OK to be in a position to demand the right to bear a firearm to kill someone but you are not allowed to be in the position to choose whether you have an abortion?

I certainly see a conflict in this...

rich
08-Sep-08, 21:24
This pro-life, NRA alliance may be less odd than it appears. The Pro-lfe movement is largely a coalition of religious pressure groups. The NRA promotes shooting burglars, muggers and communists. I guess you could say that once you get born you should find a decent job as soon as possible otherwise the neighbours will off you. But you do have the right to get born.
There's a bracing frontier type of mindset at work.
Here in Toronto we have blazing gun battles every weekend up in the north end of the city where the Jamaicans and the Haitans and the Somalis settle their differences. I doubt if they are aware of the right to life movement or the NRA.
They die ,if not with their boots on then with their basketball sneakers pointing heavenwards.
Back to Sara. Being a US governor does entail an amount of personality malformation. For example I dont think there is a single governor in the north west who does not hope to eradicate wolves. Sara favors hunting them down with helicopters. But that's the folk who elected her. Try intorducing wolves to the north of Scotland and you will see the instant creation of a pack of blood hungry farmers chartering helicopters and kalishnikofs.
Sara is not the worst. She seems considerably smarter than the atherosclerotic McCain and a lot less hypocritical.

TBH
08-Sep-08, 21:28
It's OK to be in a position to demand the right to bear a firearm to kill someone but you are not allowed to be in the position to choose whether you have an abortion?

I certainly see a conflict in this...But it is not a right to kill someone, that would be murder. It is the constitutional right to bear arms for your own protection.

Melancholy Man
08-Sep-08, 21:32
It is the constitutional right to bear arms for your own protection.

Strictly speaking, the right is to arm bears as part of an organized militia.

TBH
08-Sep-08, 21:35
Strictly speaking, the right is to arm bears as part of an organized militia.I thought it was urban Gorrillas?:confused

Melancholy Man
08-Sep-08, 21:47
Nah, that was the twits in Noraid.

TBH
08-Sep-08, 22:14
Nah, that was the twits in Noraid.Ah, Noraid, the ones that didn't react on the 11th of the ninth, god help us all.

Melancholy Man
08-Sep-08, 22:20
Que?

Now, I know this may seem blasphemy, but I simply do not see the sexual attraction in Sarah Palin. Tzipi Livni, on the other hand, is definitely hot.

As for the general thrust of the thread, whilst I would boil every last libertarian to death in marmalade, I am right behind Rich's notion that the underhand remarks about her Downs kid and her pregnant daughter and the idea that a mother of five (e.g. my mother) are less able have been repugnant.

TBH
08-Sep-08, 22:24
Que?

Now, I know this may seem blasphemy, but I simply do not see the sexual attraction in Sarah Palin. Tzipi Livni, on the other hand, is definitely hot.

As for the general thrust of the thread, whilst I would boil every last libertarian to death in marmalade, I am right behind Rich's notion that the underhand remarks about her Downs kid and her pregnant daughter and the idea that a mother of five (e.g. my mother) are less able have been repugnant.Absolutely correct.

Melancholy Man
08-Sep-08, 22:26
Absolutely correct.

Come change your ring with me, Tzipi.

TBH
08-Sep-08, 22:28
Come change your ring with me, Tzipi.That went over my head faster than the ThrustSSC.:eek:

Melancholy Man
08-Sep-08, 22:32
Marry me, Tzipi, you're g-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-regous!

TBH
08-Sep-08, 22:43
Marry me, Tzipi, you're g-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-regous!Tzipi Livni or Sarah Palin, Mmm. Palin definitely has the edge.

Melancholy Man
08-Sep-08, 22:46
Tzipi ain't married, so will be an object of as much scorn as Condi Rice.

George Brims
09-Sep-08, 01:15
As for the general thrust of the thread, whilst I would boil every last libertarian to death in marmalade, I am right behind Rich's notion that the underhand remarks about her Downs kid and her pregnant daughter and the idea that a mother of five (e.g. my mother) are less able have been repugnant.

Well the right wing in the USA just discovered, conveniently, that they really detest sexism. To them, criticizing Sara Palin is just an outrageous example. The stuff they said about Hillary a few months back is of course a completely different story. Other examples of doublethink here:

http://ccinsider.comedycentral.com/cc_insider/2008/09/jon-stewart-ann.html

Sporran
09-Sep-08, 06:30
Marry me, Tzipi, you're g-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-regous!

Oh, you're so ironic, Melancholy Man! :lol:

Besides which, she already *is* married! (Don't get too melancholy, lol! ;))

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tzipi_Livni

Melancholy Man
09-Sep-08, 10:16
Oh, I'm so unhappeth!

Rheghead
09-Sep-08, 19:09

I certainly see a conflict in this...

Why? Is the baby pointing a gun or endangering life or something?

Tilter
10-Sep-08, 19:57
Is it just me, or is Mrs Palin totally scary? I would not want this woman in with the slightest chance of running the no. 1 superpower and, like TBH, I think we should all have a vote!

NRA, not just anti-abortion but anti-contraceptives, believes in Intelligent Design (no scientist then), thinks it's OK to use your personal influence to get your ex-husband's brother fired from his job, and just a good old hockey sticks mama to boot with no qualifications for anything else. I could go on, but please let there be enough intelligent people in the USA not to let this come about. Surely the US folk can see they need a real statesman/stateswoman?

Aaldtimer
11-Sep-08, 02:30
Is it just me, or is Mrs Palin totally scary? I would not want this woman in with the slightest chance of running the no. 1 superpower and, like TBH, I think we should all have a vote!

NRA, not just anti-abortion but anti-contraceptives, believes in Intelligent Design (no scientist then), thinks it's OK to use your personal influence to get your ex-husband's brother fired from his job, and just a good old hockey sticks mama to boot with no qualifications for anything else. I could go on, but please let there be enough intelligent people in the USA not to let this come about. Surely the US folk can see they need a real statesman/stateswoman?

I wouldn't count on it!:(

badger
11-Sep-08, 11:17
Sara Palin scares the life out of me as well. The thought of her being President if John McCain popped his clogs, or even went off sick for a while, is truly terrifying.

Actually not very keen on any of them. I'd have gone for Hillary Clinton as Obama's running mate if, and only if, she didn't have Bill in the background.

What's with all the lipstick on pigs and dogs?

Welcomefamily
11-Sep-08, 12:07
She does have very extreme views, anti abortion even in rape cases, anti contraception, surely USA would not be so stupid.

badger
11-Sep-08, 12:32
She does have very extreme views, anti abortion even in rape cases, anti contraception, surely USA would not be so stupid.

They did elect George Bush :eek: though maybe not the second time which was a big of a dodgy result.

At least we didn't elect Gordon Brown.

cd1977
11-Sep-08, 16:57
That woman is scary.

But to think that the person in the White House is actually in charge of America is incredibly naive.

So the whole presidential race, which gets excessive media coverage in this country, is kinda irrelevant anyway.

In fact it's reminiscent of the X Factor. The public are duped, but they love to be duped so who am I to argue?

Our politicians may be dull, boring and completely out of touch with reality but at least they possess a modicum of intelligence in most cases.

Tilter
11-Sep-08, 17:59
What's with all the lipstick on pigs and dogs
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7608653.stm . I think the aphorism we would use would be putting a bow tie on a donkey.

Anyway, if she has to sit down at the table with Putin when the world is in dire straits I think she'll at least be able to talk about moose-hunting. They have moose in Siberia don't they?.

hotrod4
11-Sep-08, 19:33
Tzipi Livni or Sarah Palin, Mmm. Palin definitely has the edge.

Palin edges it, Tzipi Livni reminds me of Ellen degeneres!! :)

rich
12-Sep-08, 14:57
US journalism is pretty much of a tragedy these day and last night's ABC interview with Palin plunged new depths of shallowness. Here is a list of the questions that were NOT asked! (But should have been).
We are having an election in Canada right now and let me say (plumping up my feathers) that it is 1000% superior to the American product.
http://www.salon.com/opinion/walsh/election_2008/2008/09/11/palin_questions/index.html?source=newsletter