PDA

View Full Version : How many penguins?

connieb19
02-Jan-06, 21:57
This is a puzzle that was on Quiz tv, on sky yesterday. It started at 2pm yesterday and was on until 2am this morning. After a couple hours of people ringing in with all their answers (all wrong), I couldn't pull myself away from the tv and had to wait until 2am when the programme ended and no-one had given the correct answer, so I could be put out of my suspense...I have spent even longer today, since knowing the answer to work it out. Is there any Carol Vorderman's out there that can figure it out?

peter penguin and his 12
chums are playing.
Their parents and 100
other penguins are watcing
them.They start diving.They call
3 friends each to join them.
so many penguins!

How many Penguins are there?

Sandra
02-Jan-06, 22:02
I'm assuming the 3 friends they each call are from the group of 100 already there, so I make it 139.

But I could be wrong.

luskentyre
02-Jan-06, 22:11
I come up with either 178 or 556, depending on who's doing the diving!

Geo
02-Jan-06, 22:17

A friend who watched this show says the answers do not appear to have any relevance to the information given. I watched it once and people phoned in with all the answers I had thought it could be but they were all wrong. I fell asleep waiting for the answer! :)

connieb19
02-Jan-06, 22:17
Well I can tell you..now I know the answer I am even more confused!!:confused: .

JAWS
02-Jan-06, 22:32
For no good reason I'll try 178.

connieb19
02-Jan-06, 22:41

A friend who watched this show says the answers do not appear to have any relevance to the information given. I watched it once and people phoned in with all the answers I had thought it could be but they were all wrong. I fell asleep waiting for the answer! :)It's the first time I watched it and couldn't believe when after 12 hours and no correct answers they just displayed the so called correct answer in the corner of the screen, with no explanation of how they came up with the answer. I went on to their website and on reading the rules it states that they need not offer any explanation of the answer....Is this all a con then, because thay must make a complete fortune from all that calls, charged at 75p per minute, whether you get through to them or not!!

rich62_uk
02-Jan-06, 23:12
OK i get 103 penguins. As Peter is stated as a penguin however not his 12 chums. There parents plus 100 other penguins, well Peters parents are penguins so 2 more. Making 103. The bigger question is are they all chocolate and could my kids eat them all.....lol

scorrie
02-Jan-06, 23:13
This is a puzzle that was on Quiz tv, on sky yesterday. It started at 2pm yesterday and was on until 2am this morning. After a couple hours of people ringing in with all their answers (all wrong), I couldn't pull myself away from the tv and had to wait until 2am when the programme ended and no-one had given the correct answer, so I could be put out of my suspense...I have spent even longer today, since knowing the answer to work it out. Is there any Carol Vorderman's out there that can figure it out?

peter penguin and his 12
chums are playing.
Their parents and 100
other penguins are watcing
them.They start diving.They call
3 friends each to join them.
so many penguins!

How many Penguins are there?

There was a feature on Watchdog about this and other similar quizzes. The people who run the quiz (make the money!!) claim there is a correct answer but it would seem that the puzzles are always ambiguous and nobody ever seems to get it right. Mind you some of the guesses made make one think that the caller should be locked up in a padded room!!

The same puzzles used to appear over and over again, so if the answer was ever revealed then regular viewers would be able to remember the correct solution.

Watchdog's opinion was that this nonsense was best avoided. Hard to argue with that.

pedromcgrory
02-Jan-06, 23:23
i they are only ones who profit, same with quiz mania on after 12 each night gie that programme annoys me and the presenter is so fake ,they just pick when a question is right if you watch it its normally 10 minutes in between each question and its a wide range off answers like familly fortunes really etc ,my g/f phoned to see other night it said 60 pence or other rates for mobile which she foned from she got a voice saying she was through hold on 15 seconds later cut off all 4 pound gone so a lesson learned really lol

kas
02-Jan-06, 23:27
I get 417, but who knows?

pedromcgrory
02-Jan-06, 23:34
il say 52 think its asking how many diving which is 13 including peter they each call 3 friends to join them which i think means diving

Bumblebee
03-Jan-06, 00:16
Is the answer 341???

Sig
03-Jan-06, 01:16
it has got to be 417 penguins.

angela5
03-Jan-06, 01:35
I myself watched this, well parts seen the answer and it's driving me mad trying to work it out,
i think this is a big con, they can say any answer and your not allowed to question it, think of all the money they are making, i once was calling and after about 20 calls i then realised i was even charged for not getting through.

connieb19
03-Jan-06, 01:40
I myself watched this, well parts seen the answer and it's driving me mad trying to work it out,
i think this is a big con, they can say any answer and your not allowed to question it, think of all the money they are making, i once was calling and after about 20 calls i then realised i was even charged for not getting through.well I called when there was nobody else calling in and a guaranteed £500 for the next caller, whether the answer was right or not..to my surprise I couldn't get through either but was still charged for the call.
This in my opinion is definately a con..
You wouldn't think they woud get away with this on television!!

htwood
03-Jan-06, 01:59
this question is more about semantics than mathematics.

My guess is 52 penguins diving plus 126 penguins watching makes 178 total penguins.

connieb19
03-Jan-06, 01:59
This is tonights question:
Alexis Evenine
has 23 pairs of
dresses,34 handbags,
and sixty pairs of
shoes.Its the 101 party
twonight and she can't
decide what two wear.
Hardly surprising.

Add the value of the numbers in the text!!

Oh no, Thats me roped in again...
I'll let you know the answer later.. no doubt it'll be some crazy answer no-one could possibly guess!!

dragonfly
03-Jan-06, 14:03
don't fall into the trap and phone in, I did and my phone bill was over £120 for calls to QuizTV calls alone, kept on pressing redial when getting the unsucessful message. Know it said about charging if successful or not but got carried away as sure I had correct answer which it turned out not to be when I eventually did get through ( got to the point that I had to keep trying as knew that I'd have a big bill to pay and needed the prize money, ~£10k, to go towards the bill :eek: )

Next day all my BT Services were blocked (call diversion, call reminder etc) had to go through BT's never ending IVR option menus umpteen times to get to speak to someone who could get them unlocked. Eventually spoke to some kiddie in India who said that because of high volume of calls to 090 number they had blocked it. Still is blocked to 090 numbers but that was through choice.

unicorn
03-Jan-06, 14:07
I got 517 penguins

connieb19
03-Jan-06, 14:11
Well I'll give you the answer...but this just makes it even more difficult.
There were 756 penguins. Now can any-one work it out?
Im even more confused since I know the answer!!
I would love to know if any-one can manage to solve it!!:confused:

unicorn
03-Jan-06, 14:15
maybe some of the penguin mummies were not sure who the daddy was????

kas
03-Jan-06, 14:32
I can get 756, if the 100 penguins also have their parents with them.

connieb19
03-Jan-06, 17:50
I can get 756, if the 100 penguins also have their parents with them.That would be the only explanation!! :confused: