PDA

View Full Version : Wheelie bin sharing

justine
07-Sep-08, 14:12
Would you be prepared to share your wheelie bin with your neighbour.?

Thought i would ask as i saw this as an national poll and thought would try on here.

poppett
07-Sep-08, 14:21
We already do this as it saves putting out two bins. If a neighbour has a lot of extra bags we offer the spare bin to be helpful. It is better to take a neighbours extra rubbish than have it blow about the streets if its left beside the bin and the men can`t take it.

In a previous residence I was going on holiday when new folk were due to move in and kindly offered them the use of my bin.. (spotless you understand.....i.e. everything bagged and tied tightly so no spills and disinfected every week to prevent smells). Came home to the bin which had been emptied by the binmen the day before and put back to my garden gate, but when I looked inside it had dried dripping all over it.... they must have just tipped the pan of hot fat straight into it. Not even so much as an apology.

Nibbler
07-Sep-08, 14:24
I have voted with a yes on this one but it would only be on an occassional basis. If, for some reason, a neighbour had generated too much rubbish one week I would certainly let them put in mine if there was the room.

When other half is offshore, there normally is.

I would hope, if the shoe was on the other foot, my neighbours would allow me to use their bin should I end up with too much one week.

Its not a straightforward one.

It would be a bonus if the council tax were to be reduced if such a thing was to take effect but there are two chances of that. Leave it to you to work out what those chances are! :lol:

justine
07-Sep-08, 14:28
I have voted with a yes on this one but it would only be on an occassional basis. If, for some reason, a neighbour had generated too much rubbish one week I would certainly let them put in mine if there was the room.

When other half is offshore, there normally is.

I would hope, if the shoe was on the other foot, my neighbours would allow me to use their bin should I end up with too much one week.

Its not a straightforward one.

It would be a bonus if the council tax were to be reduced if such a thing was to take effect but there are two chances of that. Leave it to you to work out what those chances are! :lol:

2 hopes. Bob and No.

Bad Manners
07-Sep-08, 14:49
It would depend on how you get on with your neighbour We have two one like us recycles as much as is possible and therefore our bins are never completely full. the other just puts everything in the bin unbagged
even to the point of emptying the contents of his deep fat fryer into the din. In the summer the differance is noticable he has no end of flies etc round his bin the rest dont.
For us we would share but only with like minded people

teenybash
07-Sep-08, 14:54
Would have no problem in sharing my bin but, only if they dragged it down the lane to the road................;)

lazytown
07-Sep-08, 15:17
when we were in the algarve on holiday, we didn't have a bin instead there were a couple of the large bins on each street the same kind shops have and you took your rubbish down to it, which got emptied every few days.

Gizmo
07-Sep-08, 16:13
I have no problem with this, as long as there is ample room, our wheelie bin is usually pretty full with our own rubbish but i have no problem at all with our neighbour putting a few bags in it, and we usually condense both blue recycling bins into one as our neighbours are elderly and don't usually have very much in it.
But i can see how a lot of people would object to doing this as a lot of people put very little thought into what goes in their wheelie bin.

dirdyweeker
07-Sep-08, 17:05
the Council actually say if there is no room in your bin that you are meant to use any other one nearby that does have room.
Personally I would have no objection as long as items were bagged, unless sharing folk willing to wash it if necessary ( i am not in habit of washing mine!)
I know in my mothers case the whole block of flats share the bins as needed.

Julia
07-Sep-08, 17:09
If my bin is full on collection day I just shove my rubbish in someone else's bin, whichever one has the least in it. I don't see the point in asking as their bin is already out. I would be very surprised if anyone complained and I certainly wouldn't mind if anyone put their rubbish in mine.

Angela
07-Sep-08, 17:21
Where I live we have communal bins and it would seem very odd to me now to have a separate bin of my own.

They are so big and heavy they can't ever be blown away, or....pinched!;)

It's little effort taking out the rubbish - I bag it and put it in the communal bin as and when I need to and it's easier for the dustmen to empty -they just upend and empty the one giant bin.

Of course I realise this wouldn't work where people are more spread out.

The downside is that we have no provision for recycling so all household rubbish has to go to landfill :( and you do get the odd person who chucks big items like furniture in the bin -usually under cover of darkness!

EDDIE
07-Sep-08, 17:45
yes i do share bins with my nieghbour we have 3 bins between the 2 flats fill them up one at a time to save having put 3 bins out at the same time

mums angels
07-Sep-08, 20:29
My neighbour lets us use her bin whenever we want , shes on her own and we are family of 6 and even now with the recycling we still have a full bin at the end of the week luckily we only need hers occasionally ..she would be quite welcome to use ours if we ever had space LOL

northener
07-Sep-08, 20:41
when we were in the algarve on holiday, we didn't have a bin instead there were a couple of the large bins on each street the same kind shops have and you took your rubbish down to it, which got emptied every few days.

Was out in Competa at a friends house last year. They do the same there (Spain) and no-one seems to have a problem with the effort involved.

Also, I noticed that no-one simply dumped bags of rubbish outside on the road for someone else to collect...maybe we've got this whole rubbish thing completely wrong? Maybe we should have communal skips?

golach
07-Sep-08, 21:39
Was out in Competa at a friends house last year. They do the same there (Spain) and no-one seems to have a problem with the effort involved.

Also, I noticed that no-one simply dumped bags of rubbish outside on the road for someone else to collect...maybe we've got this whole rubbish thing completely wrong? Maybe we should have communal skips?

We already have these communal bins in Edinburgh, luckily the ones I use are not too far from my flat, we have black bins for everyday rubbish, and then a Green bin for Packaging and Plastic, and a Blue bin for Newspapers. We also have individual red boxes for household packaging collected fortnightly and blue boxes for glass and tins,also collected fortnightly. This seems to work in Edinburgh.

pat
07-Sep-08, 23:04
only if everything is wrapped before putting in bin - dont want flies and vermin around bin as bins get emptied two weekly here.
One week is recycling week (plastic, paper, glass, tin), next week it is landfill rubbish bin and organic bins
Some of my neighbours only put out one bin with everything dumped in unwrapped - by collection time when it is warmer the smell and flies are horrid.

Yes I would share my wheelie with someone but same as ddirdyweeker - only with people of same ideas on waste processing.

2little2late
07-Sep-08, 23:38
What would you do if your neighbour has too much rubbish and overfills the wheelie bin and there is no room for your own rubbish? Rather use my own.Thanks.

Thumper
08-Sep-08, 11:22
Communal bins would be fine,but I would have reservations about neighbours using my bin all the time,what if they put in unwrapped foodstuffs etc?who would end up cleaning the bin out?Usually mine is full to the brim anyway but what if I hadnt finished using it and a neighbour filled it up,where would my stuff go then?I would never dream of putting my rubbish is anyone elses bin,I just wait until the next week or sometimes put it to my Mums if I am desperate x

justine
08-Sep-08, 12:28
Depending on the neighbour, situation and whether they were prepared to share their bins, if they abuse it then i would stop them.But i do like the idea of communial bins like they have in america, where everyone uses it and its emptied once a week.

Lolabelle
08-Sep-08, 12:31
I have hardly any rubbish, as I recycle as much as possible and never have much more than one kitchen tidy bag per week. And as I can't eat processed food, there isn't much packaging or stuff like that.

Angela
08-Sep-08, 12:42
We already have these communal bins in Edinburgh, luckily the ones I use are not too far from my flat, we have black bins for everyday rubbish, and then a Green bin for Packaging and Plastic, and a Blue bin for Newspapers. We also have individual red boxes for household packaging collected fortnightly and blue boxes for glass and tins,also collected fortnightly. This seems to work in Edinburgh.

Isn't it odd that only a couple of miles away from you golach, we only have the black bins and no provision at all for recycling? And yes, I have raised the matter with the council...on more than one occasion! :roll::(

balto
08-Sep-08, 21:24
i think this is a great idea, we have done it before with our neighbours.

Tilter
09-Sep-08, 16:49
I voted yes. It would be a bit of a hike to the neighbour's, but I'd get more exercise which would be all to the good.

Lavenderblue2
13-Mar-09, 09:10
My neighbour could have our bin - we recycle as much as we can in three specially bought wheelie bins at our back door - they have different coloured lids.
Once a week my OH takes it all to Janetstown along with the small amount of general rubbish.

Sunshine
13-Mar-09, 09:19
we have been doing this for the last three years:lol:

Bazeye
13-Mar-09, 10:32
Could possibly cause problems. For instance, what would happen if the Wheelie bin police inspected the bin and found the general waste one containing bottles etc....who would pay the fine? How could it be proved who put it there? What if the lid wasnt properly shut? A case in Whitehaven recently got fined something ridiculous like £200 because the lid of his Wheelie bin was open by 4 inches.

Bad Manners
13-Mar-09, 16:03
Since we have finaly had recycling collection where we live we hardly have anything in our bin. however we have a neighbour who has the same recycling bin and has never had it emptied as they do not put the right things in and the put in unwashed food tins and scraps. they are now wanting to put things in our bin we have said no as it would be left to us to sort it out.
This is not a selfish act we would help anyone out but not when they blatently disregard the rules