PDA

View Full Version : First post, trying to find and spread what information I have.....

colin shipton-knight
06-Sep-08, 20:36
Hello everybody,

My first posting on this site... regards genealogy and trying to find more of my family, as well as trying to pass on what I have found to others.

I have quite a tale. But not enough room on here to tell it all...

Short version, I was adopted 45 years ago and have grown up with one name, only to discover that I was really born some one else. Summed up the courage to find out "Who do you think you are", never guessed what a Pandora's box I was opening................

My mother was a genealogist..! Unfortunately she died six months before I found her, only living an hour away from me...! Cannot help but suspect she left clues for me to follow if I were to start looking for her. I know, now, that she tried finding me, without success... I dutifully followed the clues......

Well I very quickly found who she had shared her research with, and found I have a brother! let alone a family, and an ancestry, the like of which I had never seen before. I can now trace genetic ancestors back at least 2000 years because it hits the Royal lines... If you believe all you find, then I can go back to Adam and Eve....!

Pity they will never make an episode of "Who do you think you are" about this, after all I'm not a celebrity... Life has been a roller coaster over the last 18 months.........................

Shetland family, so many secrets and family mysteries it is untrue. Found them all eventually, as I ended up going into her house that had been left for the last 5-6 years undisturbed.... Have got all the research, family bibles, photos, everything.....

However, my mother was obsessive about researching her fathers family and seemingly did nothing about her mothers family. This brings me to why I am posting this thread.

My grandfather was a Nicholson, my grandmother a Petrie. Other families being Grants, Cruicshank's, Craig's and Gunn, all in the Wick/Caithness area. Am particularly interested in the Nicholson's, but the others as well.. Bought excellent book on Nicholson's but this branch of the family seem not to be there. Have loads of stuff, including a bible 193 years old with all recorded in different peoples hand's... Have scanned everything, and am most happy to share with any one interested, so feel free to contact me.

My name, Colin Shipton-Knight, but was named by my mother, Martin John Hoseason.

I recognise so many Patronymic names amongst the threads here, have learnt so much about these names. Do not claim to be an expert, but if you wonder about origins of names ending in 'son' particularly, then please feel free to contact me, always happy to pass on what I have..

Have some photo's that were obviously taken in Caithness, would like to share in hope that some one can identify. Let alone perhaps pass on to some one who may appreciate..

Please feel free to respond to this thread, or you can contact me via email at, hoseasongenealogy@googlemail.com

That's enough I think for the first post.....

I look forward to any responses and contacts.

Colin

colin shipton-knight
06-Sep-08, 20:54
Forgot to mention,

Hoseason and Henderson names being two of the oldest of names in Shetland, many connections......

Indeed my connection back to Royal lines comes through a Bathsheba Henderson...

Feel free to contact me.

Colin

w.j.milne
07-Sep-08, 15:54
I would expect you to be inundated with researchers on this name in Caithness.
My line is ; Alexander Nicolson ,born 1797 ,Canisbay
David " , " 1766, Bower
Alexander " , " abt 1725, "
John " , " " 1700 "
Regards, Bill.

colin shipton-knight
20-Sep-08, 18:32
Dear All,

Looking for descendants/ancestors/family trees of,

Donald Nicholson, born 1 July 1775, Pulteney town. Married Isabella Gunn, born 1790, died 21 Apr, 1847.

Their surviving children being, Ann(ie) Nicholson born 10 Aug 1810, Alexander Nicholson born 1 Oct, 1821 and lastly Donald Nicholson born 9 Jan, 1818.

Donald Nicholson's (1818) children were from two marriages. First marriage to Margaret Grant gave Daniel Nicholson born 18 Oct, 1851, Isabella Nicholson born 25 Sep, 1853. From Donald's second marriage to Mary Craig born 1818, we get Francis Nicholson born 1865, Alexander Nicholson born 13 Mar, 1862 and lastly Helen Nicholson born 1 Aug, 1860.

I know quite a lot of the descendants and have some interesting bibles/photos going back to Donald Nicholson 1775. Any info, please feel free to contact me at, hoseasongenealogy@googlemail.com

Will leave the Petrie's and Cruickshank's for another post.

Colin