PDA

View Full Version : Up your way...

percy toboggan
05-Sep-08, 19:59
yes, we leave early doors - about 3-30am. for Ross & Cromarty via Mallaig (long story)

The weather down here has been miserably dire for weeks so I hope ther is some brightness to be found along the way. Today, esepcially has plumbed new depths in grey dampness....it's not stopped raining for fifteen hours.

We're up in Caithness on Tuesday...and intend to look at Girnigoe Castle, amongst other things. If it's raining I shall scream.

hotrod4
05-Sep-08, 20:16
How will we know if we have seen the toboggan? Will you be weraing a big "Percy" T-shirt or one of those hats with a hammer on the head.Ah I've got it the wife will be wearing the "I'm with idiot" T-shirt!! ;) Will see you then Mr T

Nibbler
05-Sep-08, 20:20
Hi Percy

Hope you have a good journey up and I do hope the weather is kinder to you than your own has been.

It has been pretty good but it is very changeable!!

Take it easy and enjoy ;)

P.S. If I hear screaming on Tuesday (and it is raining) I will take a guess that its you :lol:

percy toboggan
05-Sep-08, 20:42
Cheers...just look for the couple with 'Wallet & Grimace - on the road' t.shirts.
(kiddin')
si'thee

brokencross
05-Sep-08, 20:44
and intend to look at Girnigoe Castle,

Don't think it is for sale and will take a lot of DIY

TBH
05-Sep-08, 22:33
You are more than welcome Percy. I hope you enjoy your foray into God's own country as much as I feel priviledged to have been born here.:D

scorrie
05-Sep-08, 22:45
Don't think it is for sale and will take a lot of DIY

You're not kidding!!

I gave an American couple directions to the castle a few years ago. After I had them sorted out, they asked if there was a visitor centre and cafe in the castle. I had to stifle the laughter and explain what was ahead of them!!

hotrod4
05-Sep-08, 22:52
yes, we leave early doors - about 3-30am. for Ross & Cromarty via Mallaig (long story)

The weather down here has been miserably dire for weeks so I hope ther is some brightness to be found along the way. Today, esepcially has plumbed new depths in grey dampness....it's not stopped raining for fifteen hours.

We're up in Caithness on Tuesday...and intend to look at Girnigoe Castle, amongst other things. If it's raining I shall scream.

All kidding aside I am sure you will have the time of your life and hope you do(as a fellow blue!). But remember that not everyone you will see is an orger ;) Or maybe they are, we have a special "greeting" between orgers up here that alerts another orger to their existence, but I cant tell you what that is,you'll just have to work it out. ;)

Alice in Blunderland
05-Sep-08, 22:55
Feel free to pop in for T or coffee if you venture down my way ,Sarclet ;) You cant miss me mad Big house with loads of kids playing outside :lol:

hotrod4
05-Sep-08, 22:57
Feel free to pop in for T or coffee if you venture down my way ,Sarclet ;) You cant miss me mad Big house with loads of kids playing outside :lol:

But dont tell him about the "special greeting" ;)

Anne x
05-Sep-08, 23:02
Enjoy Caithness P T gods Country and of course the land of milk and honey Sutherland have a good break and keep us posted its sunny here and has been all week :cool:

Alice in Blunderland
05-Sep-08, 23:20
But dont tell him about the "special greeting" ;)
That will be a pleasant surprise for him and Mrs T :lol:

TBH
05-Sep-08, 23:22
That will be a pleasant surprise for him and Mrs T :lol:Is that the surprise where we pt him in a giant wicker man alonf with the chickens then set light to him?

Gleber2
05-Sep-08, 23:51
Come along to Dunnet Head and we'll show you a quick way down to the sea.[evil]

Oddquine
06-Sep-08, 00:16
Cheers...just look for the couple with 'Wallet & Grimace - on the road' t.shirts.
(kiddin')
si'thee

Shout in by for a cuppa if you are passing Lybster, PT..........I'd like to confirm for my own satisfaction that you are not as you appear on here and elsewhere. ;)

Venture
06-Sep-08, 01:13
So glad you're able to come and see Caithness for yourself Percy. It truly is God's Country, no matter what the weather. There is so much to see. We'll all be looking out for you in Wick.

Be careful around Dunnet Head should you visit. Sounds like it's Gleber2's intention to make it the "high-light" of your trip.[lol]

Alice in Blunderland
06-Sep-08, 08:07
Is that the surprise where we pt him in a giant wicker man alonf with the chickens then set light to him?

Goodness I wasnt thinking on that surprise :lol:

That one seems a little cruel :eek:

trinkie
06-Sep-08, 09:05
Dont miss the Fish and Chip shop in Mallaig, along from the Museum, upstairs..... simply delicious !
Enjoy your trip

Trinkie

cd1977
06-Sep-08, 10:01
Classic, Gleber2, absolutely classic :cool:

I got nearly ten minutes of laughter from that comment.

golach
06-Sep-08, 10:04
Classic, Gleber2, absolutely classic :cool:

I got nearly ten minutes of laughter from that comment.
You must be easily amused, enjoy your trip Percy

Melancholy Man
06-Sep-08, 10:19
Come along to Dunnet Head and we'll show you a quick way down to the sea.[evil]

Please don't be angry with Gleber, he's likely sitting in his underpants eating rice-krispies as he writes this.

Percy should pop round to my gaff, and the pair of us could shake each other by the throat (as I wish him a good trip)!

Venture
06-Sep-08, 10:49
Please don't be angry with Gleber, he's likely sitting in his underpants eating rice-krispies as he writes this.

Percy should pop round to my gaff, and the pair of us could shake each other by the throat (as I wish him a good trip)!

I wouldn't advertise open house at your gaff on the org MM it might cause too much traffic congestion. I can visualise a lot of Percys turning up.[lol]

As to your description of Gleber2...the mind boggles.:lol:

silverfox57
06-Sep-08, 11:15
hope you enjoy your trip up north, Percy look forward for your report on your views on cathness and of course the people,stick a cap on your head with Percy on front so we can welcome you in person?

Melancholy Man
06-Sep-08, 11:25
I wouldn't advertise open house at your gaff on the org MM it might cause too much traffic congestion. I can visualise a lot of Percys turning up.[lol]

I gotta get out of here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irNKHSbKqL8)!

teenybash
06-Sep-08, 11:43
Enjoy your trip...........Caithness waits to impress you....and it will.
Have a lovely time :)

Gleber2
06-Sep-08, 18:22

!
More likely to be Shreddies.

scorrie
06-Sep-08, 19:07
hope you enjoy your trip up north, Percy look forward for your report on your views on cathness and of course the people,stick a cap on your head with Percy on front so we can welcome you in person?

Sounds like Gleber2 would prefer a Target on Percy's back ;)

Tighsonas4
06-Sep-08, 20:41
hope you get the weather we have had this week in golspie
lovely views from golspie tower plenty sun and rain practically nil
been up in strathpeffer scenery fab and where weve got winnd turbines theres woods galore tony

Gleber2
06-Sep-08, 21:28
Sounds like Gleber2 would prefer a Target on Percy's back ;)
Whatever gave you that idea?[evil]

bobandag16
06-Sep-08, 21:37

big mistake coming to caithness. you will not want to leave .we came in 1960. on spec. still here . good luck.

percy toboggan
13-Sep-08, 19:32
Okay, I'll come clean and be honest.
I obviously divide opiinon on here & I'd quite like to have encountered the semi-vituperative gleber 2 on Dunnet Head... but 'ten minutes' laughter?? Do me a favour.

We had a fantastic week in the east coat village looking west - Portmahomack. Lazing, mild walking, Beachcombing, Dunrobing, Drinking, Eating (Castle Pub exclusively)...it's full of friendly people who speak first or second. Bright eyed youth who clearly enjoy life, and older people who are just happy to be there. I envy them. Seriously envy them.

We drove norther (for our third visit) on the tuesday. The sky had turned grey for the first time, and the easterly wind had gotten up. We loved the road north of Brora. That stretch that really hugs the North Sea tight would have been great on a bike, and wasn't bad in the auld Audi.

We had a pre-arranged meet with an estate agent in Dunbeath. The place looked raw...too raw for us I'm afraid. The small place we looked at might have turned out living hell for the one of us who survived a couple splitting death...just too remote...and too grey. You'd need calves like Arnie to walk to the flippin' shop for yer paper!!:)

I've no doubt others see it differently, just cut me some slack and allow an edge of the city dwellers perspective for a minute. There is remote Scotland, and there is really remote Scotland. Some of you might think Dunbeath is a metropolis compared to where you reside....I'm not knocking it.... indeed, I'm not knockin' anyone or anywhere.

Lybster and Thrumster looked similar. I'm not expecting anyone to wail...more likely cheer. It simply seemed just too far away from what we know...a tidge TOO far. The main attraction for a real world earner of modest means and hard won savings is that houses ARE cheap (er) but money is not everything.

We had a look at Wick once more and motored up to Girnigoe - sadly we didn't walk all the way to the castle because it didn't look worth the effort and the wind was blowing us to hell...not to mention some discomfort on my part.

Back in the toon we paid five quid for two tuna butties and emptied uz thermos before floorin' the old bus back down to 'the port'....all thoughts of a move to Caithness have evaporated - mostly because Mrs.T 'doesn't like it' and I'm going nowhere fast without her.

No offence folks...I'm nowt if not honest.

I did have a ride down to Sarclet Alice and admired it's rawness and its location on the edge...the toppish edge. It takes a certain kind of person to live there I reckon...not my wife, although I could manage it if pushed (take note gleber 2) . Just too much of a total contrast to all I've been used to in my life so far.

I'd still rather be 'up there' than down here but to be truthful not quite so far 'up'...we motored to Ross-shire via Mallaig to view a house which was ridiculously over priced. We need to bide uz time and get some more overtime in.

Caithness is not for us, but if it is for you then celebrate it. It doesn't need me.

I'm not too sure there is room there for me and Gleber2 anyway,
and I'd hardly want to upset him now would I ? [lol]

I just hope I've not upset anyone else !:confused

Alice in Blunderland
13-Sep-08, 19:47
Percy your honesty is admirable. What you say is true though Caithness is not for everyone and its better to realise this before making the big move up and regretting it as many do.:D

Absoloubtly no offence taken at a single word you have written. :cool:

percy toboggan
13-Sep-08, 20:23
Percy your honesty is admirable. What you say is true though Caithness is not for everyone and its better to realse this before making the big move up and regretting it as many do.:D

Absoloubtly no offence taken at a single word you have written. :cool:
thank you Alice.

northener
13-Sep-08, 21:50
Never mind, mate. Better to walk away now rather than waste a pile of money on something you're not convinced by.

Kevin Milkins
13-Sep-08, 22:08
Its a better job you came on Tuesday than Monday.
Monday was just a glorius day and had you been on Monday you would have bought.:lol:
There are many reasons for living here and many reasons for not.
I find the longer I live here (2-1/2 Years ) the harder I find a reason not to live here ,if that makes sense.Sorry we didn't get time for a cuppa ,another time perhaps.
Regards KM

joxville
14-Sep-08, 16:34
Well put percy however I would love to live back in Caithness. I've lived many places throughout the UK and can honestly say Caithness was the best of them all. I made the 'mistake' of returning to my birth town, Barrhead nr Glasgow, last year and only stayed 5 months. They say home is where the heart is-mine is in Caithness.

teenybash
14-Sep-08, 17:05
Wise man Percy...you came, you looked but, Caithness did not conquer you...............never mind, if it was meant.... it would be. At least you can now look at the map and know there is life beyond Inverness! :Razz