PDA

View Full Version : First wheeled transport in Caithness ?

w.j.milne
04-Sep-08, 23:39
can anyone enlighten me as to the first record of wheeled transport in farming & fishing in Caithness. Bill

trinkie
05-Sep-08, 12:11
I'm still looking - I know I have it somewhere and was surprised at how late it was....

You could ask in the Wick library they are bound to have an answer for you.

Trinkie

Mosser
05-Sep-08, 18:48
can anyone enlighten me as to the first record of wheeled transport in farming & fishing in Caithness. Bill

there is a record of cart wheels being landed in Wick and Staxigoe in the list of Burgh Customs of Wick for 1766

horse
05-Sep-08, 23:46
Could this be what you mean
http://www.caithness.org/caithnessfieldclub/bulletins/1996/watten_mills.htm

Carts were not common in Caithness at this time; the sheaves were carried off the fields on the backs of horses, a contrivance called a "clubber" being attached to the back of the animal, on which the sheaves were piled. The first farm cart made in Caithness was reputed to have been made by William Gunn of Catchery, whose daughter Jean, was my grandmother. The wheels of this cart were of wood and had no tires (sic).

w.j.milne
06-Sep-08, 11:07
what period or years was your William Gunn working. Bill

horse
06-Sep-08, 14:36
He died in 1825.

w.j.milne
07-Sep-08, 15:36
Thank you Horse. Bill

w.j.milne
19-Sep-08, 22:51

According to a volume of " General View of the Agriculture of the County of Caithness " by Captain John Henderson, dated 1812.
On pages 63 & 64 Henderson states that, " about sixty or seventy years ago there were no carts in Caithness" .He then explains how the first carts were imported from Morayshire. He has earlier given the price of such a cart and says that with good management a cart should last for seven years.He refers to usage and also mentions shopkeepers in Wick & Thurso and their carts. This is important knowledge in understanding the movement of the population in this era. WJM