PDA

View Full Version : Registry Cleaning Programs

~~Tides~~
01-Sep-08, 19:24
Hi there,

Just downloaded 'Registry Mechanic' to try and sort out this computer's problem with being hidiously slow. Anyway, it told me there was tons and tons of registry problems, only problem being that to fix the bulk of them I had to subscribe and pay a quite hefty £30 fee. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any free programs that do the same thing?

Ta.

Bob M
01-Sep-08, 21:15
Try AWC its free and worked OK for me try Advanced Windowscare personal in Google that should get you the URL or you could try Downloads.com it is probably there any problems Pm me and I will try to get it for you

embow
02-Sep-08, 06:54
Wise Registry Cleaner and Wise Disc Cleaner does it for free and for me. Just be careful to make sure only the "safe to remove" files are cleaned out. Try Free Registry Defrag to help tidy things up as well. A quick search using these headings will take you to the sites. If they don't work then they can always be uninstalled.

blueivy
02-Sep-08, 08:00
Hi there,

Just downloaded 'Registry Mechanic' to try and sort out this computer's problem with being hidiously slow. Anyway, it told me there was tons and tons of registry problems, only problem being that to fix the bulk of them I had to subscribe and pay a quite hefty £30 fee. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any free programs that do the same thing?

Ta.

CCCleaner is always one I've used in the past. But as ebow says, be very careful when using these. It wouldn't be the first time that somebody has stopped their machine booting, or worse, after using this kind of software.

Unless you know what the problem is, the quickest way of speeding any machine up is usually to backup your PC, wipe it and reinstall Windows.

~~Tides~~
02-Sep-08, 10:54
This sounds like such a silly question, but here goes, how would I reinstall windows? Like most Dell computers, this one didnt actually come with a Windows CD. It does have a recovery partition...

router
03-Sep-08, 18:31
CCCleaner is always one I've used in the past. But as ebow says, be very careful when using these. It wouldn't be the first time that somebody has stopped their machine booting, or worse, after using this kind of software.

Unless you know what the problem is, the quickest way of speeding any machine up is usually to backup your PC, wipe it and reinstall Windows.
agee,i tried a few of these with no joy,wiped the lot of them. finished up getting more memory and reloading windows-worked a treat-pc nows does what it said on the box.:D

blueivy
03-Sep-08, 18:35
This sounds like such a silly question, but here goes, how would I reinstall windows? Like most Dell computers, this one didnt actually come with a Windows CD. It does have a recovery partition...

Unless you know what you're doing (and with all due respect it sounds like you're not sure) I wouldn't attempt this as you may well end up in a worse situation than you are at the moment.

That's not to say that doing the task is rocket science, as it's not, but it does require knowledge of what's required during the rebuild and the potential pitfalls.

I would suggest you take it to somebody who knows what they are doing so that when you get the machine back, it (hopefully) works the same way as when you put it in! There are a number of people in the Computer Services section of the Business Pages who may be able to help.

If you really want to tackle it yourself get back to us and we will try and help you out.