PDA

View Full Version : Those little differences.

Welcomefamily
23-Aug-08, 22:49
As my wife left for her night shift last night, she reminded me to sort out a new table light left on the stairs, so just before bed I started unwraping the polythene covering on the shade pulling it through the middle of the shade until 15mins later I had a lenght of polythene about 8 metre long. :Razz
This morning noticing the light unwrapped, my wife said no doubt you took ages pulling the polythene throught the shade to get it off, if you had been a women you would have just got some scissors and cut it round, pulled the whole lot off in one go, 30 secs at the most. [evil]

Is this just me? or is it a man thing as she implied?
Anyone got any other examples of things men might do in a more time consuming way achieveing greater job satification I must add.

Torvaig
23-Aug-08, 23:24
Yes, cooking! And the mess! And the hurt look on their faces if you don't praise them enough for the lovely meal! And you still have to do the dishes afterwards in gratitude for him doing the cooking!

One prime example was someone who was staying with me and insisted on cooking dinner for a change. He told me that he would be doing fajitas and all the trimmings; lovely! I left him to it although he constantly appeared to ask where was such and such was and eventually he proudly announced dinner was ready.

Through I went and unfortunately the kitchen and dining area were combined so I saw the remnants of the cooking. Dishes everywhere, just lying where he had dropped them and loads of knives etc., which had obviously been used in the preparation.

Never mind, the aroma of fajitas made my mouth water. Then I noticed the box. The box that the fajita kit had come in. My special dinner was all out of a packet....

No I didn't scoff at him for making such a mess and just using packet ingredients. One look at the chuffed expression on his little face said it all. He had made dinner and was proud of it! :lol:

northener
24-Aug-08, 00:40
Yes, cooking! And the mess! And the hurt look on their faces if you don't praise them enough for the lovely meal! And you still have to do the dishes afterwards in gratitude for him doing the cooking!

One prime example was someone who was staying with me and insisted on cooking dinner for a change. He told me that he would be doing fajitas and all the trimmings; lovely! I left him to it although he constantly appeared to ask where was such and such was and eventually he proudly announced dinner was ready.

Through I went and unfortunately the kitchen and dining area were combined so I saw the remnants of the cooking. Dishes everywhere, just lying where he had dropped them and loads of knives etc., which had obviously been used in the preparation.

Never mind, the aroma of fajitas made my mouth water. Then I noticed the box. The box that the fajita kit had come in. My special dinner was all out of a packet....

No I didn't scoff at him for making such a mess and just using packet ingredients. One look at the chuffed expression on his little face said it all. He had made dinner and was proud of it! :lol:

Torvaig......You've just described me in the kitchen perfectly.:eek:

purplelady
24-Aug-08, 00:46
Or if they do something you do everyday my ex would say have you not noticed have done the house work and want prasie for something i did everyday xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Torvaig
24-Aug-08, 00:46
I thought I recognised him! ;)

Sorry purplelady, we posted at the same time; my post was aimed at Northerner.....I promise I don't know your ex.... well, I don't think I do......

Bad Manners
24-Aug-08, 10:03
on the flip side men are much quicker at shopping especially if there is a colour choice

Tilter
24-Aug-08, 10:11
Tee hee. Love all these posts.

We have what we call Brain Surgeon Syndrome in our house. Man stands in front of a cupboard or drawer, little hands held in air like said scrubbed-up brain surgeon, and says: where is my fishing hat? where is my coat? where is the garlic press? where is the dog's brush? where is where is where is? When you have actually gone in cupboard or drawer and found the items for the man, you have to pass them over like forceps and stuff.

Welcomefamily
24-Aug-08, 10:32
on the flip side men are much quicker at shopping especially if there is a colour choice

With out any doubt, first shop, first pair, first choice, first home.

golach
24-Aug-08, 10:42
Thats the only way to do it!!! [lol]

Welcomefamily
24-Aug-08, 10:50
I have never worked out why when we go shopping, we start at one end of the town, go to every shoe shop in town and then when we get to the end, she like the first pair she has seen. Then on arriving at first shop, like a different pair, buy them then decides she has not got an outfit to match, start again. Six hours of shopping, at least the daughter getting old enough to go with her.
Last time they went to Inverness, its off at 6.30am and back at 10.00pm ish, (7hrs on train). Book them a taxi, in case I am in bed when they get home exhausted from spending the day gardening. :cool:

Thumper
24-Aug-08, 11:18
Tilter,I know that one well,my son does it all the time!He stands beside drawer,opens drawer,peers into it and if what hes looking for doesnt jump up screaming here I am he cant find it! It drives me nuts!!!!!!
Another one that used to get to me was when i was still with my husband,he used to go about making sure we were all ready to go out for the day and then once we were all ready he would decide to check the car for oil,water etc THEN he would go around checking the house......why couldnt he do that when we were getting ready!Then we would all have been ready to go at the same time!:rolleyes: x

Bad Manners
24-Aug-08, 11:54
Tee hee. Love all these posts.

We have what we call Brain Surgeon Syndrome in our house. Man stands in front of a cupboard or drawer, little hands held in air like said scrubbed-up brain surgeon, and says: where is my fishing hat? where is my coat? where is the garlic press? where is the dog's brush? where is where is where is? When you have actually gone in cupboard or drawer and found the items for the man, you have to pass them over like forceps and stuff.
Is this a case of women moving everything around in their own logical way so as men can't find anything. If I want a tool from the workshop I know exactly where it is it's where I last left it. If i put something down in the house It disappears and only reappears when I ask where have YOU put it?

veekay
24-Aug-08, 12:05
I am sure you all live in my house all these post could have been made by me and mine. I have found that the males living in my house can never find things and always blame me for moving the said object so I decided not to clear up anything they left just mine. Do you know they still can't find stuff and it is in the place they left it. So it has made no difference except there is a biggermess tan normal!

Alice in Blunderland
24-Aug-08, 12:22

;) First back with them next day because said wife doesnt like the colour, style and look of them and most of all has given you a row for not checking out all the other shops to see which one was cheapest. :lol:

northener
24-Aug-08, 14:25
Is this a case of women moving everything around in their own logical way so as men can't find anything. If I want a tool from the workshop I know exactly where it is it's where I last left it. If i put something down in the house It disappears and only reappears when I ask where have YOU put it?

Absolutely, that's why Mrs N isn't allowed anywhere near the shed, I can hear the conversation now...

(sounds of cursing and things being moved in shed)

"Mrs N! Have you been moving things in the shed again?"

"Me? You know I don't go in there."

"Well in that case, where the hell is that large motorbike frame with wheels attached that I bought last week - it's disappeared!"

"Oh....er... I think I saw it in the airing cupboard upstairs...dunno how it got there, though. I'm off out now, dear. Bye!!"

(Sound of front door slamming and hurried footsteps disappearing in the direction of shops).

Bad Manners
24-Aug-08, 15:21
Absolutely, that's why Mrs N isn't allowed anywhere near the shed, I can hear the conversation now...

(sounds of cursing and things being moved in shed)

"Mrs N! Have you been moving things in the shed again?"

"Me? You know I don't go in there."

"Well in that case, where the hell is that large motorbike frame with wheels attached that I bought last week - it's disappeared!"

"Oh....er... I think I saw it in the airing cupboard upstairs...dunno how it got there, though. I'm off out now, dear. Bye!!"

(Sound of front door slamming and hurried footsteps disappearing in the direction of shops).
thats why OH is FORBIDDEN to enter workshop unless she is accompanied by myself it has taken years to atain this level of order and dispite her often threats to GET IN THERE AND TIDY UP it will never happen least not while i'm breathing

Fluff
24-Aug-08, 17:55
Well I don't know about others but with my OH it is a battle to get the hoovering done. If he does the dishes I usually have to do them again because he misses so many spots!

still, I wouldn't trade him for anything in the world :)

kriklah
24-Aug-08, 18:39
putting clothes on the baby!! as a mum of 5 i can get baby out of old and into new nappy and clothes in about 60 seconds flat. when OH does it, it takes 10 mins and he makes it look about as easy as nailing jelly to the ceiling!!:D ( -which the kids can do in about 60 seconds flat!!!!!:confused)

Tilter
24-Aug-08, 20:32
If I want a tool from the workshop I know exactly where it is it's where I last left it. If i put something down in the house It disappears and only reappears when I ask where have YOU put it?
Sorry Bad Manners, but no way. Before I married I could always find phillips and flat screwdrivers, nails, screws, hammers, drill bits, sockets etc etc. I have been TOTALLY UNable to find any of these items for the past 11 years. I can no longer even hang a picture on the wall. Went to use a drill the other day and found 4 electric drills. Four!!! None were charged up. Couldn't find the charging thingie for any.

Welcomefamily
24-Aug-08, 20:36
Tilter you should ask your OH but its worth giving six months warning, we (men) like that.

Tilter
24-Aug-08, 20:37
Another one that used to get to me was when i was still with my husband,he used to go about making sure we were all ready to go out for the day and then once we were all ready he would decide to check the car for oil,water etc THEN he would go around checking the house......why couldnt he do that when we were getting ready!Then we would all have been ready to go at the same time!:rolleyes: x
Thumper, I'm afraid to say I think this is an age thing. Have you noticed:

A young man of 25 jumps in his car and goes.

A more elderly man chuffs about with old fartery for 30 minutes before embarking on a 5-minute trip.

Welcomefamily
24-Aug-08, 20:53
I never check the oil water etc, I just wait for the light to come on, there hope for me yet.

Camra
24-Aug-08, 21:41
Worked away for a while and lived in lodgings doing my own domestics etc with others in the house.
Counted all my socks out, counted them all back home again.
Within a fortnight of returning home.......darling, where have my socks disappeared to etc, etc ?
We must have an invisible sock eating, tool hiding, petrol drinking ghost in our house for sure.

Torvaig
24-Aug-08, 23:56
Well I don't know about others but with my OH it is a battle to get the hoovering done. If he does the dishes I usually have to do them again because he misses so many spots!

still, I wouldn't trade him for anything in the world :)

Not even a piece of Orkney Fudge Cheesecake? :lol:

sassylass
25-Aug-08, 02:30
Sorry Bad Manners, but no way. Before I married I could always find phillips and flat screwdrivers, nails, screws, hammers, drill bits, sockets etc etc. I have been TOTALLY UNable to find any of these items for the past 11 years. I can no longer even hang a picture on the wall. Went to use a drill the other day and found 4 electric drills. Four!!! None were charged up. Couldn't find the charging thingie for any.

Exxxxxxxactly the same scenario here for the past 30 years! Just when I figure out where Mr Sassy has put things, he rearranges the garage and there I am searching all the drawers and cupboards open shut open shut open shut open shut until I am wild. [mad]

I finally bought my own tool box and FIE on anyone who uses my tools!

Venture
25-Aug-08, 10:29
Well ladies I suppose we can liken men to computers:

In order to do anything with them, you have to turn them on.

They have a lot of data but still can't think for themselves.

They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time they ARE the problem.

As soon as you commit to one, you realise that if you had waited a little longer, you could have gotten a better model.

No doubt the males amongst us will have their version.[lol]

Torvaig
25-Aug-08, 10:36
Stand back Venture; there could be some fallout on it's way! (But I like it!) :lol:

Angela
25-Aug-08, 11:15
Though men do seem to be much better at reading maps, I've yet to find a man who can plot the route that laundry needs to take from the basket (if it gets from the floor to the basket in the first place) to the machine and out again. Even those who are adept with boy's toys just can't seem to fathom out the mystery of how a washing machine works.:roll:

No doubt there are exceptions, I've just never found one, not even my late husband, who was a much, much tidier person than me and wonder of wonders! did almost all the ironing.:)

Thumper
25-Aug-08, 11:27
Thumper, I'm afraid to say I think this is an age thing. Have you noticed:

A young man of 25 jumps in his car and goes.

A more elderly man chuffs about with old fartery for 30 minutes before embarking on a 5-minute trip.
LOl I wish i could say you were right Titler but my ex was only in his early thirties!:eek: Although he could be a boring old fart at times no matter what age he actually was ;):lol:x

joxville
25-Aug-08, 13:26
Not all men are useless around the house. I can cook, clean and look after children. Oh, and I'm great at diy too.

However I was once accused of not being romantic often enough, so one day I had a flash of inspiration and thought I'd give her the romance she deserved.

I had run a bath ready for her coming in from work, the table was all set, candles & flowers too, dinner being prepared while she had a long soak...it was more than I could do to please her.

She comes in from work, p'd-off, moody, won't heed my warning to avoid the dining room, and ask's what the hell I'm looking for!

I never bothered ever again. We're now divorced.[lol]