PDA

View Full Version : Hope fans dont let the country down

hotrod4
20-Aug-08, 17:20
At the Scotland vs Norn Irn game there is talk of the scots fans booing the Norn Irn anthem which is God save the queen". I find this disgusting. I am Scottish and support Scotland but I also support Norn Irn. I cannot see the point in so called "fans" booing what is the British anthem :( After how well the country has come together for the Olympics it would be a shame if this happens tonight, I sincerely hope it doesnt. I will watch the game tonight with my fingers crossed that it doesnt happen. What kind of message does that put out about Scotland if some boo the national anthem? It will make our country look like knuckle scraping neanderthals. If the roles were reversed how would scots fans feel about "flower of Scotland" being booed if the game was at Windsor park? It wouldnt ever happen.

As I said this hasnt happened yet I am just hoping it doesnt. If it does I will seriously consider my allegiances supporting Scotland in the future as I wouldnt want to be associated with this.I would just stick to Norn Irn who know how to respect other countries.

Heres Hoping :)

Metalattakk
20-Aug-08, 17:29
At the Scotland vs Norn Irn game there is talk of the scots fans booing the Norn Irn anthem which is God save the queen". I find this disgusting. I am Scottish and support Scotland but I also support Norn Irn. I cannot see the point in so called "fans" booing what is the British anthem :( After how well the country has come together for the Olympics it would be a shame if this happens tonight, I sincerely hope it doesnt. I will watch the game tonight with my fingers crossed that it doesnt happen. What kind of message does that put out about Scotland if some boo the national anthem? It will make our country look like knuckle scraping neanderthals. If the roles were reversed how would scots fans feel about "flower of Scotland" being booed if the game was at Windsor park? It wouldnt ever happen.

OK, I don't agree with booing any national anthem, but, what exactly do you expect when the English national anthem is played? Scotland fans to join in and sing along with gusto? Eh, I don't think so.

As I said this hasnt happened yet I am just hoping it doesnt. If it does I will seriously consider my allegiances supporting Scotland in the future as I wouldnt want to be associated with this.I would just stick to Norn Irn who know how to respect other countries.

Heres Hoping :)

Yep, here's hoping too. Scottish football needs less fly-by-night, half-hearted glory-hunting supporters. Away and support N. Ireland if you want. It seems to fit your fading agenda (one look at your avatar speaks volumes) better anyway.

wifie
20-Aug-08, 17:44
I don't agree with booing any anthem either! In fact this just shows up the general lack of respect around in this day and age! I do not wish to get into arguments about politics or religion but if this is the country's chosen anthem then respect that!

Rheghead
20-Aug-08, 17:46
Doesn't Lichtenstein have the same National Anthem music? Would they boo that an'all ??:confused

speedo215
20-Aug-08, 17:53
if it is booed it shows a complete lack of repsect, i will be embarrassed if they do, and if our national anthem was booed there would be an outcry about it

hotrod4
20-Aug-08, 18:01
OK, I don't agree with booing any national anthem, but, what exactly do you expect when the English national anthem is played? Scotland fans to join in and sing along with gusto? Eh, I don't think so.

Yep, here's hoping too. Scottish football needs less fly-by-night, half-hearted glory-hunting supporters. Away and support N. Ireland if you want. It seems to fit your fading agenda (one look at your avatar speaks volumes) better anyway.

Well thats the type of response I would expect from you metal. Why can you not post a response instead of getting personal all the time? I can get personal too but why stoop to your level :)

It shows how blind you are "God save the Queen" is the BRITISH NAtional anthem,you know that country your living in!!!!!! The English national anthem is actually "Land of hope and glory" but they normally use God save the queen in the same way Flower of Scotland is not the real scottish anthem!!

And for your information I am not a glory hunting Scotland supporter that you accuse me off.
I was Born in Scotland I am Scottish but I support Norn Irn as My Family come from there so why shouldnt I support them too? What agenda are you on about? what about my avatar? Dont you know sarcasm when you see it?

Your posts make my blood boil with hotrod energy!!!!! ;)

scotsboy
20-Aug-08, 18:31
I would be very surprised if the self proclaimed greatest fans in the World (sic) do not boo The National Anthem – I would expect nothing less from the raggle taggle band of brigands that profess to be an Army.

joxville
20-Aug-08, 20:15
I agree with wifie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_Save_the_Queen

northener
20-Aug-08, 20:26
Bigots will never show any courtesy to anyone or anything that doesn't fit in with their own twisted attitudes and beliefs............

hotrod4
20-Aug-08, 20:32
Just to keep metal happy have changed my avatar!! ;)

And yes they did boo, shocking really.
We were warned about this before you'd think the Tartan Army would heed the announcer and "respect" ANY countries anthem. Its just a football thing, you dont hear booing of anthems at the Olympics!

Metalattakk
20-Aug-08, 20:41
It shows how blind you are "God save the Queen" is the BRITISH NAtional anthem,you know that country your living in!!!!!!

Not where football is concerned.

The English national anthem is actually "Land of hope and glory" but they normally use God save the queen in the same way Flower of Scotland is not the real scottish anthem!!

Again, not where football is concerned.

What agenda are you on about? what about my avatar? Dont you know sarcasm when you see it?

It's attitudes like yours that Scottish football wants nothing to do with. You think it's sarcasm to portray the Pope as a Rangers fan? What on earth would make you link the two? That's the thinking of a typical rabid bigot, no more no less. It's not big, it's not funny and it's certainly far from clever. It's attitudes like yours that make me wish a pox on all bigoted, religious fools, masquerading under the banner of football. Begone with you all.

Your posts make my blood boil with hotrod energy!!!!! ;)

Your posts make baby Jebus cry. Address it, or deal with it.

hotrod4
20-Aug-08, 20:46
It's attitudes like yours that Scottish football wants nothing to do with. You think it's sarcasm to portray the Pope as a Rangers fan? What on earth would make you link the two? That's the thinking of a typical rabid bigot, no more no less. It's not big, it's not funny and it's certainly far from clever. It's attitudes like yours that make me wish a pox on all bigoted, religious fools, masquerading under the banner of football. Begone with you all.

Your posts make baby Jebus cry. Address it, or deal with it.

Well if thats not a bigoted post what is?
What you have said is not very nice or clever is it?

You dont even know me so how can you judge my attitude?
Do you know my history etc./

You just seem to love jumping in to a thread and judging people. I would return the favour of your "disease" but that would gain me an infraction wouldnt it :)

I am not going to bother as you have(as usual) turned something completely around that wasnt ther in the first place.

scotsboy
20-Aug-08, 20:58
Why would't the Pope support Rangers then? Is he bigoted?

Metalattakk
20-Aug-08, 21:00
Well if thats not a bigoted post what is?

It is bigoted in as much as my intolerance of bigots and bigotry is itself bigoted. Make of that what you will.

Do you still think it's funny (or sarcastic) to bring religion into football?

Metalattakk
20-Aug-08, 21:01
Why would't the Pope support Rangers then? Is he bigoted?

The Pope is German. Why would he support a Scottish team at all?

hotrod4
20-Aug-08, 21:06
It is bigoted in as much as my intolerance of bigots and bigotry is itself bigoted. Make of that what you will.

Do you still think it's funny (or sarcastic) to bring religion into football?

I didnt bring religion into football if you read back you will find it was you who brought it into the thread!!!!!
And you can you point me to where it states my religous intentions,tolerances etc? Cos you wont find them cos there not there!!! I have never slagged off any religion etc I have merely stated a pride in my beliefs without berating another.

What has happened is you have judged me without checking your facts.Make of that what you will ;)

I thank you for your pleasant retort.

scotsboy
20-Aug-08, 21:09
The Pope is German. Why would he support a Scottish team at all?

I know many Germans who support Rangers, there are many Rangers Supporters clubs in Germany, some even have their own websites:

http://www.bochum-loyal-rsc.de/
http://www.hamburg-rsc.de/

Kevin Milkins
20-Aug-08, 21:50
Whats a bigot?

hotrod4
20-Aug-08, 21:53
Whats a bigot?

Ah kevin you are naughty but i do like you!!! ;)

Metalattakk
20-Aug-08, 21:59
I didnt bring religion into football.../

And this from the man who only short ago changed his avatar from a picture of the Pope wearing a Rangers scarf? Is that not bringing religion into football?

And you can you point me to where it states my religous intentions,tolerances etc? Cos you wont find them cos there not there!!! I have never slagged off any religion etc I have merely stated a pride in my beliefs without berating another.

What has happened is you have judged me without checking your facts.Make of that what you will ;)

You, not long ago, stated openly your problems with those who follow the Catholic faith on these very forums.

I thank you for your pleasant retort.Filed under 'Must Try Harder'. My, that's some folder building up there.

Metalattakk
20-Aug-08, 22:01
I know many Germans who support Rangers, there are many Rangers Supporters clubs in Germany, some even have their own websites:

http://www.bochum-loyal-rsc.de/
http://www.hamburg-rsc.de/

As far as I'm concerned, His Holiness is most welcome to support Rangers if he so wishes. I'd certainly revel in the frothing of the bigoted masses if it came to pass. :D

Kevin Milkins
20-Aug-08, 22:23
Ah kevin you are naughty but i do like you!!! ;)

Sorry hotrod4 ,I know that often I come over as a bit of a joker but I did not know what a bigot was so I googled it.

A person that is utterly intolerant of any differing creed or opinion.:confused

WORD HISTORY Bigots may have more in common with God than one might think. Legend has it that Rollo, the first duke of Normandy, refused to kiss the foot of the French king Charles III, uttering the phrase bi got, his borrowing of the assumed Old English equivalent of our expression by God. Although this story is almost surely apocryphal, it is true that bigot was used by the French as a term of abuse for the Normans, but not in a religious sense. Later, however, the word, or very possibly a homonym, was used abusively in French for the Beguines, members of a Roman Catholic lay sisterhood. From the 15th century on Old French bigot meant “an excessively devoted or hypocritical person.” Bigot is first recorded in English in 1598 with the sense “a superstitious hypocrite.”

golach
20-Aug-08, 22:28
Never mind the bigotry or non bigotry.
What about the final score? Nil - Nil against a ten man team, Burley should go. [disgust]

wifie
20-Aug-08, 22:30
Gol! Gie the guy a chance! [evil]

golach
20-Aug-08, 22:35
Gol! Gie the guy a chance! [evil]
Wifie... Why? This was his third chance and no result yet [disgust]

Metalattakk
20-Aug-08, 22:42
Never mind the bigotry or non bigotry.
What about the final score? Nil - Nil against a ten man team, Burley should go. [disgust]

Nah, I'm no' havin' that. With a mainly reserve squad, we learnt a good deal about players like Barr and Commons (who?) who both played well, and Brown as a winger (a waste in my opinion - much more effective and energetic through the middle).

Plus, McGregor's penalty save was brilliant. good to know we have at least two quality 'keepers available.

Mind you, the laddie that was sent off should never have been dismissed.

wifie
20-Aug-08, 22:44

OK I will be frank - I dinna watch much football these days cos it is marred by the money involved! I think bein the Scotland manager is a rotten job as what does the poor soul have to pick from? As far as I can see there are far too many foreigners playin for Scottish teams to have any home grown talent flourish. I also cannot stand this attitude that the guy gets a couple of shots and they don't win so out the door he goes - if we all did that people would never keep jobs! Rant Over! I thank you!:)

changilass
20-Aug-08, 22:46
Blooming good post Wifie, I think I may even go as far as to give you good rep for that one :)

golach
20-Aug-08, 22:54
OK I will be frank - I dinna watch much football these days cos it is marred by the money involved! I think bein the Scotland manager is a rotten job as what does the poor soul have to pick from? As far as I can see there are far too many foreigners playin for Scottish teams to have any home grown talent flourish. I also cannot stand this attitude that the guy gets a couple of shots and they don't win so out the door he goes - if we all did that people would never keep jobs! Rant Over! I thank you!:)
Wifie....I kind of agree, but these football managers are paid Mega Bucks to do a job. And like all big responsibility jobs it carrys a high risk of dismissal if they do not come up with the goods. I will admit it is not entirely his fault, our overpaid, and under achieving players are as much to blame.
But he is the head man, the buck stops with him.

DeHaviLand
20-Aug-08, 22:57

Actually, he's had three results. A 1-1 draw, a 3-1 defeat and now a 0-0 draw. Not good results, but results all the same.
Pedantic? Me?:roll:

changilass
20-Aug-08, 23:01
You need a quality conditioner for hairs that are that badly split DH :lol:

Kevin Milkins
20-Aug-08, 23:03
Wifie....I kind of agree, but these football managers are paid Mega Bucks to do a job. And like all big responsibility jobs it carrys a high risk of dismissal if they do not come up with the goods. I will admit it is not entirely his fault, our overpaid, and under achieving players are as much to blame.
But he is the head man, the buck stops with him.

I dont think it matters how much money you pay a national coach ,you cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear.
We have the same problems with the Welsh national team with a shortage of top quality players that are playing top notch football week in ,week out.
I remember at one stage ,that if your grandad used to have a Welsh Springer Spanial you qualified to play. Even if you were German;)

DeHaviLand
20-Aug-08, 23:03
You need a quality conditioner for hairs that are that badly split DH :lol:

You've seen my hair? Thats a first.:lol:

golach
20-Aug-08, 23:06
I dont think it matters how much money you pay a national coach ,you cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear.
We have the same problems with the Welsh national team with a shortage of top quality players that are playing top notch football week in ,week out.
I remember at one stage ,that if your grandad used to have a Welsh Springer Spanial you qualified to play. Even if you were German;)
Ahhh But Kevin, your country men are more famous for playing with peculiar shaped balls, and winning :lol:

changilass
20-Aug-08, 23:08
Nowt wrong wi funny shaped balls - hubby played wi them for years :lol:

wifie
20-Aug-08, 23:15
Indeed changi I agree wi you here too - I like seein guys playin wi funny shaped balls too! ;)

Kevin Milkins
20-Aug-08, 23:26

Now lets not get confused with playing and scratching.:lol:

changilass
20-Aug-08, 23:28
100% he was playing not scratching, you can get into trouble for interfering with the ball during play.

Kevin Milkins
20-Aug-08, 23:30
100% he was playing not scratching, you can get into trouble for interfering with the ball during play.

O come come, thats just not cricket.:lol:

golach
20-Aug-08, 23:32
Changi, Is that not that game called Cricket, that you can get into beeg trouble for interferering with the balls [lol]

golach
20-Aug-08, 23:33
O come come, thats just not cricket.:lol:
Snap...................[lol]

hotrod4
22-Aug-08, 14:53
You, not long ago, stated openly your problems with those who follow the Catholic faith on these very forums.

I think you will find that is untrue, but you only see what you want to though, dont you!
Seems Ok for you to wish "disease" onto people who you claim i am part of! You must have some friends in "high places" to get away with one ;)

Back to the game:
Thought it was a good game especially the second half, you could see that Burley was experimenting with players,formations etc but Norn Irn equipped themselves well though. It was a good atmosphere for a friendly and must be one of the biggest away supports at Hampden for a while. Overall happy with the result though Norn Irn player should never have been sent off, but Mcreggor saved a penalty from my favourite player David Healy so cant complain!! ;)

cd1977
22-Aug-08, 15:46
Aye its quite a bizarre spectacle to see such a large "travelling" support for Norn Iron

I bet the ferries were busy :roll:

scotsboy
23-Aug-08, 10:19
Aye its quite a bizarre spectacle to see such a large "travelling" support for Norn Iron

Why bizarre? Northern Ireland have a very good support, and travel in large numbers.

hotrod4
23-Aug-08, 15:51

As they are only a 30 min ferry ride away does that surprise you?
Or is the inverted commas there for a reason? me thinks.
Norn Irn were bound to get a big support as there are so many families in the west of scotland who originate from there so a big suuport was inevitable.
Good game though with a nice bit of banter which was harmless between the fans. A good day out for all and a good result for all, cant ask for more than that. :)

percy toboggan
23-Aug-08, 17:16
Good sentiment opened this thread...hotrod-- I agree NO national anthem should be booed.

The Commonwealth Games in Glasgow will be interesting. If the English have not changed their anthem by then I expect 'God Save The Queen' may well be booed, although the class of people buying tickets for said games will be slightly different to the average or might I say stereotypical football fan.

I was a stereotypicalfootball fan once ( obsessive attender.not a hooligan) I sang bad songs, used foul language and showed scant respect to any oposition...but I'd dropped all of that by the time I was seventeen...some folk never grow up...like Metalatkak, who throws the term 'bigot' about with gay abandon. The first sign of an underdeveloped mind.

scotsboy
23-Aug-08, 17:24
As Keltic Park is going to be playing a major part in the Commonwealth Games, I look forward to seeing the Union Flag flying higher than the Irish Tricolour which is normally in residence there..........it wil also be nice to see the Head of the Commonwealth in the Stadium, although I am sure it will irk others.

Metalattakk
23-Aug-08, 18:08
like Metalatkak, who throws the term 'bigot' about with gay abandon. The first sign of an underdeveloped mind.

Far from it percy, I aim the term only at those who deserve the tag.

I, for one, am sick and tired of being labelled with the 'bigot' term just because I support Rangers - and the only reason that happens is because of the behaviour of some of those who follow 'my' club.

The whole religious/political thing has nothing to do with football, nothing to do with me. But as long as some Rangers fans sing their bigoted anthems, or persecute people for their religion, or behave like drunken hooligans in Manchester, it seems I will be viewed as one and the same, just because I follow the same football team as them. Well, I'm not having it. I'm not prepared to accept their behaviour either.

Ok, rant over. :)

scotsboy
23-Aug-08, 18:20
Oh dear an Uncle Tom……….

Metalattakk
23-Aug-08, 18:32
And a predictable response. Congrats for confirming my suspicions.

scotsboy
23-Aug-08, 18:34
And what suspicions would those be?

Metalattakk
23-Aug-08, 18:41
The very suspicions that I have now had confirmed.

Really, it's not rocket science. ;)

scotsboy
23-Aug-08, 18:45
Better not to say anything then Metal Mickey, make yourself appear to have the moral high ground.

But suspicion, inneundo and assumption are the playthings of idle minds.

Metalattakk
23-Aug-08, 18:48
Oh dear an Uncle Tom……….

But suspicion, inneundo and assumption are the playthings idle minds.

Indeed. ;)

scotsboy
23-Aug-08, 18:50
I am implying nothing, you made your position very clear in your post, therefore unless you were telling lies, you are making yourself look very silly.

Welcomefamily
23-Aug-08, 19:10
And also the head of the Union.

As Keltic Park is going to be playing a major part in the Commonwealth Games, I look forward to seeing the Union Flag flying higher than the Irish Tricolour which is normally in residence there..........it wil also be nice to see the Head of the Commonwealth in the Stadium, although I am sure it will irk others.

Rheghead
23-Aug-08, 21:13
I, for one, am sick and tired of being labelled with the 'bigot' term just because I support Rangers - and the only reason that happens is because of the behaviour of some of those who follow 'my' club.

The whole religious/political thing has nothing to do with football, nothing to do with me. But as long as some Rangers fans sing their bigoted anthems, or persecute people for their religion, or behave like drunken hooligans in Manchester, it seems I will be viewed as one and the same, just because I follow the same football team as them. Well, I'm not having it. I'm not prepared to accept their behaviour either.

Ok, rant over. :)

Not a rant, it just seems a very honest expression of how you genuinely feel. It is refreshing to see that not all old firm fans should be tarred with the same brush.

scorrie
23-Aug-08, 22:23

Very disappointing to see the use of Keltic instead of Celtic after all this time. Somewhat childish to wish to see one flag flying higher than another one. As regards to football in general, it always brings out the clear impression of immature bigotry from yourself Scotsboy.

Grow up lads.

hotrod4
24-Aug-08, 09:02
It amazes me how freely the word "Bigot" is banded about, its such an easy label to give someone. For the record i will state yet AGAIN, I am not Anti-CAtholic, I am merely proud of my OWN religion and I respect others.
Not so long ago there was a thread on here about "what to do to get rid of Jehova Witnesses"
There was many pages slagging them off and generally being very nasty towards them, Is it Ok to pick on them? seeing as theres not that many of them? Or is it just because the Majority were picking on them so its fair game? I stuck up for them on that thread.

Its amazing how its OK to "dis" some religions but not others as its too close to home.

I have been to ibrox many times and dont sing "bigoted" songs(unless its against Celtic!! but thats just banter between the fans which by those that are educated is taken in good spirit, its the knuckle scrapers who take it seriously.)

scorrie
24-Aug-08, 12:15
It amazes me how freely the word "Bigot" is banded about, its such an easy label to give someone. For the record i will state yet AGAIN, I am not Anti-CAtholic, I am merely proud of my OWN religion and I respect others.
Not so long ago there was a thread on here about "what to do to get rid of Jehova Witnesses"
There was many pages slagging them off and generally being very nasty towards them, Is it Ok to pick on them? seeing as theres not that many of them? Or is it just because the Majority were picking on them so its fair game? I stuck up for them on that thread.

Its amazing how its OK to "dis" some religions but not others as its too close to home.

I have been to ibrox many times and dont sing "bigoted" songs(unless its against Celtic!! but thats just banter between the fans which by those that are educated is taken in good spirit, its the knuckle scrapers who take it seriously.)

So, you're not a bigot BUT you DO sing bigoted songs. I find it hard to accept that phrases such as "We're up to our knees in Fenian blood" are merely banter. What comes back the other way usually involves King Billy and John Knox partaking in an act of procreation. Many more than the "knuckle scrapers" need to take a good look at themselves and rise above the foul mouthed insults, instead of hiding under the flimsy excuse that, in the words of Chewin the Fat "Hang the Fitba, we're payin' for the Banter"

hotrod4
24-Aug-08, 12:24
So, you're not a bigot BUT you DO sing bigoted songs. I find it hard to accept that phrases such as "We're up to our knees in Fenian blood" are merely banter. What comes back the other way usually involves King Billy and John Knox partaking in an act of procreation. Many more than the "knuckle scrapers" need to take a good look at themselves and rise above the foul mouthed insults, instead of hiding under the flimsy excuse that, in the words of Chewin the Fat "Hang the Fitba, we're payin' for the Banter"

It depends on the circumstance. I have Celtic supporters as mates and we sing songs at one another during the game.They know its just banter, nothing more nothing less.if you sing the songs "for a laugh"with your mates so to speak and they take it in the way its meant, then thats harmless isnt it? Wheras if you sing them with the intention of evil then thats a different ball game(pardon the pun).
Its the same way if you have a friend whos slightly "overweight" and you call them "fatty" as a term of endearment with no malice thats just the same isnt it?
The point I am getting at is that I dont HATE any religion etc I can have a laugh with my mates without any malice at all, they accept that and take it as "banter".

hotrod4
24-Aug-08, 13:18
As the thread has now run its course and is getting alittle off topic, will close now.
Many thanks for all who contributed whether I agreed with you or not!,its good to hear others opinions!