PDA

View Full Version : Computer not working

stekar
18-Aug-08, 14:39
I'm not clued up with computers or know technical terms, but can any one advise what's up with our computer?

When we try to turn the computer on, it makes either a long beep and then a couple of small beeps or about 5 small beeps. Then it makes it's usual running noise but nothing happens. Never heard it beep before. The monitor displays going to sleep then is blank.

Help anyone?

Thanks

blueivy
18-Aug-08, 14:43
I'm not clued up with computers or know technical terms, but can any one advise what's up with our computer?

When we try to turn the computer on, it makes either a long beep and then a couple of small beeps or about 5 small beeps. Then it makes it's usual running noise but nothing happens. Never heard it beep before. The monitor displays going to sleep then is blank.

Help anyone?

Thanks

Hi Stekar,

Your computer has a hardware problem. To determine what it is, you need to speak the beepy language :-)

The beeps are a little like morse code - long and short beeps, and the number of them mean something. Can you count the number of beeps and whether they are long or short and let us know?

stekar
19-Aug-08, 13:41
One long beep, then two short beeps. What's it trying to tell me?

Thanks!

blueivy
19-Aug-08, 16:11
One long beep, then two short beeps. What's it trying to tell me?

Thanks!

You have a video adapter problem.

If it's a built in adapter then you need to get a separate card. If you already use a separate card you need another.

Let me know which you have.

Sapphire2803
19-Aug-08, 19:19
You could try taking the video card out blowing the dust off of the connector and where it plugs in and then making sure you fit it back firmly. Sometimes they do just come unseated.

It's worth a try and won't cost anything :)

stekar
22-Aug-08, 13:50
Well, embarrassed to say I didn't know what a video adapter was! Googled it and now I know. Tried cleaning it, it was choked with dust but is still dead. It was worth a try.

blueivy
22-Aug-08, 13:51
Well, embarrassed to say I didn't know what a video adapter was! Googled it and now I know. Tried cleaning it, it was choked with dust but is still dead. It was worth a try.

What card was it? I may have one lying around here you can have.

stekar
25-Aug-08, 13:43
We've took it to a repair shop, as it's all above our heads. Thanks for your help.