PDA

View Full Version : The Fur Trade

Rheghead
20-Dec-05, 16:27
Would you buy, sell or accept a piece of fur?

angela5
20-Dec-05, 16:32

I would not,:eek: just the same as i would'nt eat meat.

jjc
20-Dec-05, 16:39
Hang on a sec... you've asked two different questions and there aren’t enough options in the poll. ;)

Here are my answers:

1 – Should the International Fur Trade be allowed to continue?

Yes. BUT (and this is where yes/no isn’t enough) only for skins from animals that would be slaughtered for their meat or as vermin anyway. There seems no sense in killing an animal and then wasting the resources that are then available.

2 – Would I buy, sell or accept a piece of fur?

No, I wouldn’t.

hereboy
20-Dec-05, 17:27
yes - I am Innuit..... my livelihood depends on it.... nowt else up here but fishing, and they are frozen for the most part...

wicker
20-Dec-05, 17:53
I assume this is with regards to the story on the sky news website about the fur trade in china, its sick i couldnt even read all of it

Kenn
20-Dec-05, 20:37
There is no excuse for the wearing of real furs although I would not argue with the processing of skins from animals that are killed for the purpose of food.
I don't want to live in a world where there are no tigers, leopards,cheetahs or any other sort of animal that just happens to have a coat that is a work of art.
The hunters that poach these animals to the point of extinction are callous profiteers who have no thought for their enviroment, the balance of nature or the heritage that belongs to the whole world .They are despicable.
The people that wear the garments made from the illegally obtained skins are beneath contempt.

Tilter
20-Dec-05, 23:20
Fur is extremely warm, practical, feels gorgeous and is maintenance-free. Would I wear it? No. It would be OK to buy a vintage second-hand fur (not creating a market) but then you'd be afraid to wear it in case people spit on you.

I'm a hypocrite - I wear leather shoes and eat meat once a week or so. I get by by believing that it's OK as long as I don't eat meat often and wear my shoes out.

Reghead, do you think it would be OK to wear a coat made of grey squirrel fur? If it became fashionable it might give the red squirrels a chance??? :-)

katarina
21-Dec-05, 00:14

No - unless it was still attached to your chest! wow

EDDIE
21-Dec-05, 00:22
No because there is no need to kill animals for there skin in this modern day and age we can use alternative material to make warm designer cloths.If you asked that question couple of hundred years ago then i would say yes to use fur for cloths material because back then they didnt have the materials that we have today and thats just the way of the world back then but nowadays there is no need to kill animals for that reason

Rheghead
21-Dec-05, 01:54
Hang on a sec... you've asked two different questions and there aren’t enough options in the poll. ;)

Here are my answers:

1 – Should the International Fur Trade be allowed to continue?

Yes. BUT (and this is where yes/no isn’t enough) only for skins from animals that would be slaughtered for their meat or as vermin anyway. There seems no sense in killing an animal and then wasting the resources that are then available.

I have had a long think about your comment and I finally think there is no incompatibility with the question and your take on things. The reason being is that there are few who would protest against subsistance fur useage for indigenous peoples eg Innuit, Ainu etc. (What happened in 19th century Canada was the exploitation of the Innuit by Canadian fur traders, that was the day when the Innuit ceased to be true Innuit and became part of the International Fur Trade.) The International Fur Trade can not be solely supported by subsistence trapping, post-pestcontrol fur and fur use after commercial meat slaughter(if there is such a thing). The International Fur Trade can only be supported by the wholesale slaughter of animals for no other reason but for the animal's pelts.

No - unless it was still attached to your chest! wow
I will take that as a compliment :)

Whitewater
21-Dec-05, 10:53
I voted no. I do not beleive in the slaughter of animals for the use of their skins/pelts only. I wear sheepskin and leather jackets, shoes and that sort of thing as these animals are being slaughtered for the food chain so we should always make complete use of the resource.
What is done to our wild animals is quite cruel and disgusting and should not be tolerated, we can all help by refusing to purchase any such items. However, I don't know if we will ever be able to prevent it in other countries. Take Japan for instance, there is an international ban on whaling but they are allowed to catch them for supposed research. The japanese do not eat meat so to get round it they class the whale a fish. While we, because of our too tollerant and politically correct leaders are forced to accept this. The same applies to the fur trade, we will never be able to stop it all as unfortunately for some peoples of the world this is their only source of income.

jjc
21-Dec-05, 10:56
The International Fur Trade can not be solely supported by subsistence trapping, post-pestcontrol fur and fur use after commercial meat slaughter(if there is such a thing).
Not as it currently exists, no. But then you asked if it should be allowed to continue and gave the choices ‘yes’ or ‘no’. I don’t think that it should be completely abolished, but I do think that it should be restricted in the way I set out. So neither yes nor no applied. All I’m saying is that I could have done with a third option.

golach
21-Dec-05, 11:13
Not as it currently exists, no. But then you asked if it should be allowed to continue and gave the choices ‘yes’ or ‘no’. I don’t think that it should be completely abolished, but I do think that it should be restricted in the way I set out. So neither yes nor no applied. All I’m saying is that I could have done with a third option.

I think the poll was a simple enough question, maybe not good for "Fence Sitters", such as jjc. Its a cruel trade and should be abolished completely, there is no earthly need for anyone to go around swathed in fur.
I consider that the yes/no option applied. All Im saying is that I am happy with the choice

teritoots
21-Dec-05, 11:20
No I would not buy, sell or recieve fur!
I could not watch that program about China.........
I do wear leather and eat meat but at end of day these are farmed animals that are bred for that purpose therefore no risk of extinction. They are also (as long as you eat meat from rspca farm assured & local butchers) well looked after animals and slaughtered humanly.
I actually dinni like eating meat but I do because i did go veggie for 6 months but unfortunately it caused other problems so i had to go back to eating meat. I just try and pretend it's not what it is...
The killing of wild rare animals for their fur is wrong in my eyes as these animals are precious in our world and killing them for no reason than their coats cannot be right?
As for the killing of cats and dogs for the fur trade disgusted me but i cannot defend why as i eat meat and they are not rare animals.........It's cruetly in this case the way they are handled I think i may of read that they are skinned when still alive?? Their quaility of live trapped in a cage must be hell only living to provide the world with Fur?
Does these animals need to suffer for us?

unicorn
21-Dec-05, 12:14
I wouldn't buy or wear it but as a meat by product I dont have a problem with it as I feel if you are going to kill and eat the animal anyway then at least use as much of the animal as possible. After watching the article on sky news though I was sickened to see those beautiful animals killed the way they were and to see that they obviously have no quality of life. I also find in the current climate that animal breeders must be very careful where their stock goes to. I breed and show rabbits and as I also have some that are classed as fur breeds eg silver fox and argente, I am very careful about where they go to and anyone seeking an unusual amount would immediately be turned away. I know of one breeder who recently had someone on the phone looking for silver fox rabbits and when they enquired if they could get over 20 were immediately sent away with a flee in their ear!!

squidge
21-Dec-05, 20:10
My mum has a short mink jacket which my dad bought for her - second hand about twenty five years ago. My parents live in France and she often says that many people wear fur over there in the winter and no one looks twice at them. She certainly has never been spat at wearing it - either here or abroad.

I do not approve of trapping animals from the wild for their skin nor do i approve of the wearing of skins from endangered species but I have no moral objection to people wearing fur from farmed animals. Even saying that - Im not sure i would ever choose a fur jacket. As im a wee round lady that probably has more to do with the fact that i would look like a very large fluffy ball rather than any moral distaste i would feel. i cant imagine it flattering my ample figure in the slightest little bit.

weeboyagee
22-Dec-05, 21:07
Awwww squidge! You are too hard on yourself!

If the animal has died naturally I see no reason not to make use of the skin. If it is farmed to be killed to feed us that we may live, I see no reason not to make use of the skin. Ancient tribes did not kill for the animal fur alone, they killed to survive - feed, clothe, use bones for tools etc.

To farm animals to kill them simply for their fur - what logical reason is there for this? To kill them illegally for their fur is worse. To skin them alive (stunned or otherwise) is sick, barbaric and doesn't belong in this modern world. Those who participate in farming fur, illegally killing for fur or inflict cruelty on animals in any way to obtain their fur should be jailed for a long time and then made to work in a manner that makes money supporting animal welfare or otherwise promotes animal welfare.

Those who wear it should ensure that their consciense is clear about the method of how the fur was obtained - but also be aware that unless they wear a great big label saying "fur obtained from animal that died naturally" around their neck - whether the public say something to them or not - you are being muttered at under the breath!

Rheghead
23-Dec-05, 02:09
I have no moral objection to people wearing fur from farmed animals.

I most sincerely disagree with you.

Factory fur farming is industrialised cruelty en mass for no other benefit but vanity.

kas
23-Dec-05, 02:20
but I have no moral objection to people wearing fur from farmed animals. .

This to me is worse than trapping wild animals. Farmed animals have been bred for one soul purpose, they have no quality of life whatsoever and are often kept in horrendous conditions. It is cruel.

While I would never have fur myself. At least wild animals have a natural normal life, and are killed very quickly in most cases. I dont support this either but in some places it is just a way of life and has been for a long time.

Sporran
24-Dec-05, 02:55
My answer is no to all your questions, Rheghead. I don't think animals should be slaughtered for their pelts, and I'm sure I'd look just as glam in a fake fur coat as I would in a real one. Some of them are very realistic looking these days, and much cheaper and easier to maintain than genuine fur. I just wouldn't feel happy wearing a real mink coat, knowing that all those wee animals had been sacrificed to make it!

Naefearjustbeer
24-Dec-05, 10:45
The fur trade as it exist today should be banned. The sight of those poor animals in small cages getting pulled out and anally electrocuted was quite horific. However I have no problem with someone who goes out and hunts a wild animal and makes use of the meat skin/fur bones etc as required for living and surviving with the natural resources that are availlible.

unicorn
27-Dec-05, 00:05
I actually saw a video tonite on a link that made me nearly sick. Believe me the poor animals that are being anally electrocuted are the lucky ones. I wont post the link as I wouldnt want kids seeing it. But for those of you interested that I know are adults you can pm if you wish. I am no longer so sure on my views on the fur trade I used to believe if the fur was a by product then fine but now I just dont now. :(

redstone
27-Dec-05, 00:25
Does Leather Count as fur, if so let the fur trade continue.

Rheghead
27-Dec-05, 03:39
Does Leather Count as fur, if so let the fur trade continue.

no it doesn't