PDA

View Full Version : reputation

katarina
19-Dec-05, 15:26
what's the difference between, ***** is an unknown quantity, and **** has no reputation yet? And how do you get a star rating?

unicorn
19-Dec-05, 15:50
check this link
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=5147

scrapydoo
19-Dec-05, 20:37
I thought we were'nt aloud to mask word ?

katarina
19-Dec-05, 21:25
[QUOTE=scrapydoo]I thought we were'nt aloud to mask word ?[/QUO
I masked names not words. And the other thread ralks about reputation. I still don't know rg difference between being an 'unknown quantity' or not having a reputation yet. Isn't it the same thing?

fed-ex
19-Dec-05, 21:30
If you read the posts on this thread it does tell you somewhere...

ice box
19-Dec-05, 21:38
I don't think your allowed to mask names or words as alot of people have been banned for this .

Lianachan
19-Dec-05, 23:15
I don't think your allowed to mask names or words as alot of people have been banned for this .

It seems plain enough that Katarina isn't talking about particular people, and that "****" should be read as "insert any name here".

fed-ex
19-Dec-05, 23:18
But then I suppose when a swear word is masked you could say the same thing. It can be replaced with whatever word fits. It depends on how your own mind works really...

lizzie
20-Dec-05, 00:35
when a word is masked we are to take our own opinion on what we think is being masked, unfortunately it states in the rules masking words is forbidden.
We can assume katrina is masking names but why the need to mask? i can bet that if it was a new member then all the folk who have found the scales for leaving comments would make a dive for it.
she may of had something else on her mind for the need to mask seems we have to assume its peoples names then!

Drutt
20-Dec-05, 00:41
Oh good grief. So katarina used short lines of *****s, twice! Oh, my word, the masking! Shield my eyes from the masking!

For pity's sake, had she used Person A and Person B would it have made you happier?

Pray tell, what do my stars mean? What am I masking?!!!

lizzie
20-Dec-05, 00:44
i could'nt be any happier, it's christmas.
Cheer up and merry christmas to you to.lol

fed-ex
20-Dec-05, 01:22
I cant see why Katarina had to start a new thread for this anyway, when clearly there was another one with exactly the same title on the go.
The answer to her question was there too so she should have known you are not allowed to mask words..
Was this just an excuse to wind up people who have been banned for the same reason?

Rheghead
20-Dec-05, 01:48
The rule about masking was to prevent nuisance posters from getting around the obscene language deletion censor. Clearly, Katarina was not doing this so she is not in any violation of forum rules.

ice box
20-Dec-05, 01:50
Clearly katarina was or is it just coz she's a trusted member that she get a way with it .

Rheghead
20-Dec-05, 13:06
Clearly katarina was or is it just coz she's a trusted member that she get a way with it .

If you really took the effort to find out how one becomes a 'trusted member' and how the forum gets moderated then you would fully realise how silly that post really was. :D

angela5
20-Dec-05, 14:30
i must think of some names to mask too! lol

angela5
20-Dec-05, 15:35
what's the difference between, ***** is an unknown quantity, and **** has no reputation yet? And how do you get a star rating?

It has been explained on the other reputation thread.

katarina
20-Dec-05, 15:40
ok, ok, ok, you guys hold on and calm down! I appologise for masking names - please replace them with whoever no 1 and whoever no 2. I appologise for having a senior moment and not noticing that there was a thread already - tho I don't think it answers my question. What is the difference? Which is the better? Or maybe it does and I'm having another senior moment.......

But hey, I'm on a distinguished road - that can't be bad!!!!.

katarina
20-Dec-05, 15:43
I thought we were'nt aloud to mask word ?

So if we whisper it, it's ok?

peedie man
20-Dec-05, 21:11
tom,dick or harry would do ,but its not quicker than **********

ice box
20-Dec-05, 21:45
If you really took the effort to find out how one becomes a 'trusted member' and how the forum gets moderated then you would fully realise how silly that post really was. :D
Rheghead my mate got banned for a week for masking a word they said the reason for the ban was swearing . but he didnt swear he masked someone name as well. So why does one get away with it and not the other ?

Bobo2004
21-Dec-05, 00:55
you must all be pritty bord by the time you all huffed over a few stars get a grip

Saveman
22-Dec-05, 13:58
Would the person who gave me a bad rep please feel free to PM me with the reason? Cos I've got no idea what I've done.

unicorn
22-Dec-05, 15:01
its in the air just now ;) I got one too lol I am putting it down to pre xmas stress lol

Jeid
22-Dec-05, 15:05
I think its a bit of a pointless system, is it really necessary?

Saveman
22-Dec-05, 16:52
Wow, my reputation has taken a plunge today!

-8!

I guess I must be annoying loads of people. Please let me assure eveyone that is not my intention. I joined and contributed for fun and engaging discussion. Please accept my apologies if it has been a lot less fun because of me.
hasta la vista

Savey

scrapydoo
24-Dec-05, 00:14
what a surprise i have also been bad repped with someone with a red box but why not leave a comment ?

shrek_donkey
27-Dec-05, 15:42
How can you go from 5 rep point and someone gives you a bad rep saying attacking other poster to -15 points by one bad rep.

johndy
27-Dec-05, 16:04
I received a bad rep from someone, for trying to sell a camera on the items for sale forum!

nicnak
27-Dec-05, 16:43
Oh i've given up worrying about reputation on this forum I have now realised that there are one or two people working together to try to negative my rep. childish I know but hey what can you do? If it gives them a kick let em carry on!!!!!!!!

angela5
29-Dec-05, 17:45
Oh i've given up worrying about reputation on this forum I have now realised that there are one or two people working together to try to negative my rep. childish I know but hey what can you do? If it gives them a kick let em carry on!!!!!!!!

yes there is a certain person who goes around bad repping folk, one or two who follow suit are'nt quite as bad, it gives them a buzz they feel in control bet it's like that at home too! right bossy so and so.

shrek_donkey
29-Dec-05, 18:48
how many -reps can you get i am on -21

angela5
29-Dec-05, 19:25
with regards to my rep box comment made.
I did say in my previous post," a certain person" also i said "and a few others like to follow suit" JUST LIKE YOU. sooo funny haha i'm falling over, how brave are you?

angela5
29-Dec-05, 19:27
how many -reps can you get i am on -21

They'll keep on picking until your suspended, nothing you say now shrek-donkey will account i'm afraid your doomed like me, haha

Rheghead
29-Dec-05, 19:35
They'll keep on picking until your suspended, nothing you say now shrek-donkey will account i'm afraid your doomed like me, haha

Don't be too harsh on yersel. I'm sure there is a nice post in yer somewhere, it just takes time for the right subject to crop up on e boards. I am sure the folks who have bad repped yer have done it on a individual post basis rather than part of a hate campaign.

You never know, a 'repper in the rye' may pull yer from the edge before ye fall!! :eek:

crayola
29-Dec-05, 19:49
Don't be too harsh on yersel. I'm sure there is a nice post in yer somewhere, it just takes time for the right subject to crop up on e boards. I am sure the folks who have bad repped yer have done it on a individual post basis rather than part of a hate campaign.

You never know, a 'repper in the rye' may pull yer from the edge before ye fall!! :eek:Lol, Rheghead is learnin til talk Caithness. Was e Gaelic too hard fer ye mate? ;)

Happy Yuletide x

Drutt
29-Dec-05, 20:44
Lol, Rheghead is learnin til talk Caithness. Was e Gaelic too hard fer ye mate? Naw, e's probably just been 'avin' a wee dram. :D

Drutt
29-Dec-05, 21:10
Aww, bless, someone just tried to give me bad rep fer bein' cheeky til ye, Rheg. Ye've got a fanclub oot there.

Join me in a dram, wid ye, Rheg? Whit's yer tipple?

jamesmoore
29-Dec-05, 22:29
Oh well it seems to me you get bad repped if you don't give an opinion and you get even worse rep if you do give your opinion.
The only option therefore is to go along nicely agreeing with whatever the "trusted" members have to say.

Rheghead
30-Dec-05, 00:14
Aww, bless, someone just tried to give me bad rep fer bein' cheeky til ye, Rheg. Ye've got a fanclub oot there.

Join me in a dram, wid ye, Rheg? Whit's yer tipple?

It is ok, I'll top up yer rep an yer glass when e time limit runs oot.

Mine is a large low flyer if yer buying;)

golach
30-Dec-05, 00:31

Mine is a large low flyer if yer buying;)

Ach come on I thought ye were a man o taste, I'll buy ye a "Double Lion" a far better drammy, coz I ken what goes in till it, 'an how its treated afore it goes in 'e bottle :p

angela5
30-Dec-05, 00:37

You never know, a 'repper in the rye' may pull yer from the edge before ye fall!! :eek:

nah! they just dived in to the first person who agreed with a post that they did not, Hate Campaign is that actually going on then rheghead?

crayola
30-Dec-05, 01:03

Mine is a large low flyer if yer buying;)What's a "low flyer"? A famous grouse maybe? What's a "double lion"? That had me stumped, but I've been rescued by Google. It seems to be Whyte & Mackay.

I'll buy ye whatever ye like Rheghead. Ye keep this forum alive wi' yer wit and wi' yer whisky too if I understand ye right.

Many congrats on yer two green squares, whatever they signify. :confused:

Moira
30-Dec-05, 01:12
Crayola - I too wondered about the two green squares - Mmmm... could be that Rheghead announced he is to become vegetarian in the New Year or just that he is about to become famous!! Can't wait to see what happens next :)

jamesmoore
30-Dec-05, 01:21
Crayola - I too wondered about the two green squares - Mmmm... could be that Rheghead announced he is to become vegetarian in the New Year or just that he is about to become famous!! Can't wait to see what happens next :)Its just a case of the proof of how much crawling is done here between "trusted" members, thats all!!!

crayola
30-Dec-05, 01:26
Moira, I'd imagine he's reached a threshold in reputation points. 100 points maybe?

Rheghead, I'll buy ye as many drams as ye like, but your taste in whisky needs serious surgery. Yer no as bad as poor golach, but I can only teach ye one at a time. We'll start with a large Rosebank and work steadily northwards. Then we'll head south-west til finish wi' e peaty Islay malts. Ye'll be spitting sheep n peat when I've finished wi ye, but ye'll know yer whiskies by then.

Rheghead
30-Dec-05, 01:32
Moira, as far as I know, when you get a rep rank of 'Moira has a reputation beyond refute!' then you know you have made it. The extra green square is just the second of a green bar that tracks along. Equally if you had a really bad rep then you will get more than one red square. I doubt very much if you will have anything to worry about by getting to that stage though.:)

Happy New Year!

Rheghead
30-Dec-05, 01:38
Ye'll be spitting sheep n peat when I've finished wi ye, but ye'll know yer whiskies by then.

Thanks for e offer, I bought a bottle of Old poultry Pulteney last week and was pleased wi it. Though my favorite is e Balvenie for sure. In moderation of course eh Gleeber?

crayola
30-Dec-05, 01:52
Thanks for e offer, I bought a bottle of Old poultry Poultney last week and was pleased wi it. Though my favorite is e Balvenie for sure. In moderation of course eh Gleeber?Aye, well, Old Pulteney is indeed a fine whisky. So is Balvenie, but there's no much sheep doings in 'at. Ye'll have heather, peat and wool stuck between yer teeth when we finish the night wi' a certain cask-strength Glen Ellen of my acquaintance. Ye'll be up til 5 green squares if you survive your next trip to the dentist. That's if you can find one up there.

Moira
30-Dec-05, 02:03
Moira, as far as I know, when you get a rep rank of 'Moira has a reputation beyond refute!' then you know you have made it. The extra green square is just the second of a green bar that tracks along. Equally if you had a really bad rep then you will get more than one red square. I doubt very much if you will have anything to worry about by getting to that stage though.:)

Happy New Year!

Thanks for this explanation Rheghead - so I'll have to do a bit more work around here before I "make it" then??!! Probably will have to give up the day job as well, of course, unless I just concentrate on being mean & nasty to see how many red squares I could acquire :rolleyes:

Good luck with your New Year's resolution BTW - I just couldn't give up my weekly "fix" of fillet steak - rest of the time I could quite happily be a veggie.

jamesmoore
30-Dec-05, 02:08
Thanks for this explanation Rheghead - so I'll have to do a bit more work around here before I "make it" then??!! Probably will have to give up the day job as well, of course, unless I just concentrate on being mean & nasty to see how many red squares I could acquire :rolleyes:

Good luck with your New Year's resolution BTW - I just couldn't give up my weekly "fix" of fillet steak - rest of the time I could quite happily be a veggie.You don't have to be mean and nasty to acquire a red square. Just having an opinoin is suffice..

MadPict
30-Dec-05, 02:13
Thanks for this explanation Rheghead - so I'll have to do a bit more work around here before I "make it" then??!!

Here's a few I found lying around - help yourself...

http://forum.caithness.org/images/reputation/reputation_pos.gif http://forum.caithness.org/images/reputation/reputation_pos.gif http://forum.caithness.org/images/reputation/reputation_pos.gif http://forum.caithness.org/images/reputation/reputation_pos.gif

Moira
30-Dec-05, 02:44
Thanks MadPict - I would have used these but the "drag & drop" facility doesn't seem to be working at the moment - lol! Can you pm me with a few more, please, as I've been "bad repped" for my last post & need all the "points" I can get now :(

Rheghead
30-Dec-05, 03:23
Hate Campaign is that actually going on then rheghead?

nah! I was just worried that you were getting paranoid that's all.

Peace

DrSzin
30-Dec-05, 03:34
I'll buy ye whatever ye like Rheghead. Ye keep this forum alive wi' yer wit and wi' yer whisky too if I understand ye right.

Many congrats on yer two green squares, whatever they signify. :confused:I'll second that -- Rheggers does indeed help keep this forum alive during severe droughts. I'm still not sure what the second square signifies -- is it 100 points? If so, you're way ahead of me. I must post more -- some folk on here should get out more, but I should stay in more. :rolleyes:

I've been down to Englandshire on three separate occasions in the last fortnight, by plane, train and automobile respectively. They should make a movie about it...

weeboyagee
30-Dec-05, 16:36
Wey-hey! I'd give you good rep for your taste in whisky Rheggers but caithness.org doesn't allow me too - they must think we are in "e cleek"? Glenlivet (21 yr old or any of the older from the archive, conditioned in a sherry oak cask) - now yer talkin'! I have a wee one in a glass beside me as I speak - well,.....it is New Year (nearly!)

golach - I can't wait 'til we get to Edinburgh and have a dram - we'll start with Glenlivet then onto my 2nd fav Bruachladdich, 3rd is Balvenie. And before someone says it - yes I've said this before!

Now all those who like my whisky taste will good rep me (a few) and all those who don't will bad rep me (the many)! :D

Rep is nice but it's not the end of the world - obviously upsets the few but read "most" of the posts of those who complain and sometimes it is easy to see why maybe???? The prosecution rests. :D

Peach
30-Dec-05, 18:03
Shrek Donkey, pooh pooh etc.,
Who are you referring to exactly? You can't all be thinking of the same person! I'm sure anyone giving someone else a bad reputation has a good reason to do so.
What makes you think they 'get a kick out of it'?
I really don't know why I'm on this forum actually.
*Sigh*

DrSzin
30-Dec-05, 18:54
Now all those who like my whisky taste will good rep me (a few) and all those who don't will bad rep me (the many)! :D WBG, I'm one of the few -- your taste in whisky is impeccable, if a little unadventurous. ;)

Saveman
30-Dec-05, 20:49
You don't have to be mean and nasty to acquire a red square. Just having an opinoin is suffice..

Like I was taught when I was a wee laddie......
"Its not what you say.....its how you say it."

Have an opinion Jamesmoore, by all means. Just respect others opinions as well.

nicnak
30-Dec-05, 21:12
I really think that the moderators need to try to sort out this reputation lark, to be quite honest if people have nothing better to do than to keep leaving neg feedback for fun they should not be allowed on the forum but then again I suppose these folks have nothing better to do with their sad lives but leave neg and neg and neg and neg........

katarina
30-Dec-05, 22:21
How do I know when someone has added or detracted to/from my reputation? and how do I read the comments?

unicorn
30-Dec-05, 22:24
its in user cp

jjc
30-Dec-05, 22:28
Who are you referring to exactly? You can't all be thinking of the same person! I'm sure anyone giving someone else a bad reputation has a good reason to do so. I have to admit, I was wondering the same thing.

What’s confusing me is that only the moderators know for certain who has left feedback for whom so how on Earth can any of us say with certainty who has given us bad reputation? Sure, you can spot the general style (for example, I use a lot of ellipses in my posts… as you might have noticed), but I dare say that the brevity of the reputation text-box forces a slight change of style from normal posting (I know it does with me). And of course people can ‘sign’ their feedback, but there’s nothing to force them to sign their own name. Given that there are a few individuals who seem to relish returning to this board time and time again under different usernames for the sole purpose of causing as much trouble as possible before they are banned, I don’t think we can safely assume that all feedback comes from the person claimed.

As for the notion that there is a secret ‘club’ where trusted members hatch plots to keep the little people down, I’ve certainly never been invited. I find it slightly more plausible to think that those people with little red boxes have made a post that a number of individuals individually disagree with.

Oh, and just one last point whilst I’m here – it’s only reputation.

So somebody disagrees with something you’ve said; big deal. This notion that people are ‘afraid’ of getting negative reputation is absurd. Other posters have always been able to tell you when they think your talking nonsense just by clicking the reply button and, if I’m being honest, people are putting waaaayyy too much credence in the reputation system. Look at me; I’m sixth-highest in terms of reputation… but hands up everybody who thinks I’m an angry, loud-mouthed idiot? Seriously, I know when I’m posting something that people are going to disagree with it just as well as you know when you are posting something that people are going to disagree with it. That’s the way it works.

Saveman
30-Dec-05, 22:42
How does one raise ones hand in an online forum?
;)
I'm just messing wit ya!

Good point, though I was very surprised by the rep I was getting.....not that it was negative but by the comments suggesting that, well, I wasn't a pleasant fellow!
Anyway I had enough encouraging comments after all was said and done that it wasn't the end of the world after all......

Was it Shakespeare that said...."oh to see oursleves as others see us?" or something along those lines?

katarina
30-Dec-05, 22:53
just went in and read the comments I had. Nothing too surprising there.
But I will stick to my guns and not bad rep anyone - and certainly not for disagreeing with me. OR giving me an enjoyable verbal battle!

scrapydoo
30-Dec-05, 23:03
How did you find out that you are 6th highest in the reputation stakes jjc?

jjc
30-Dec-05, 23:22
How did you find out that you are 6th highest in the reputation stakes jjc? Click on 'Members List' and then click on the column heading for 'reputation'. That will show you the list of members ordered by descending reputation. If you want to see them in ascending order click the http://forum.caithness.org/images/buttons/sortasc.gif on the sorted list and it will reverse the order.

Sporran
30-Dec-05, 23:25
Was it Shakespeare that said...."oh to see oursleves as others see us?" or something along those lines?

No, it wisna The Bard himself, but oor very ain Scots bard, Robert Burns! :p

Read the last verse of his poem 'To A Louse' (not to be confused with 'To A Mouse', lol!)

http://www.robertburns.org/works/97.shtml

Saveman
30-Dec-05, 23:43
No, it wisna The Bard himself, but oor very ain Scots bard, Robert Burns! :p

Read the last verse of his poem 'To A Louse' (not to be confused with 'To A Mouse', lol!)

http://www.robertburns.org/works/97.shtml

Wow thank you Sporran, I have learned something tonight!

Sporran
31-Dec-05, 00:07
Wow thank you Sporran, I have learned something tonight!

You're very welcome SAVEY! :)

crayola
31-Dec-05, 03:47
I really think that the moderators need to try to sort out this reputation lark, to be quite honest if people have nothing better to do than to keep leaving neg feedback for fun they should not be allowed on the forum but then again I suppose these folks have nothing better to do with their sad lives but leave neg and neg and neg and neg........
I think more people leave positive feedback than negative feedback. At present, 85 members have green squares but only eight have red squares. I know that new members start off with green squares but it's not difficult to get turned red, especially if you rile the moderators as I once did. I think I know who once gave me -20 points because a friend saw him giving reputation whilst he was looking at Who's Online, but I probably deserved it because I had been ranting at someone in an entirely unprovoked fashion.

I think you were a little harshly treated following your comments on animal poo collection, but you did get a little, er, excited about it. :rolleyes:

There are others on here who deserve their little red squares.

concerned resident
31-Dec-05, 11:38
Interested to find when i went to members and reputation, i am the last, thats with my -29 Points from my opinions on Dounreay and the Free Masons,
Could there be a link ? Luckily its like water of a Ducks back to me, but i am still am still there in the Back ground watching!

crayola
31-Dec-05, 12:30
Interested to find when i went to members and reputation, i am the last, thats with my -29 Points from my opinions on Dounreay and the Free Masons,
Could there be a link ? Luckily its like water of a Ducks back to me, but i am still am still there in the Back ground watching!I've just read those old posts of yours. I suspect it's not just your unsympathetic opinions that rile people, but the apparent gruff & grumpy manner in which you express them. Try being a little more friendly. A little more logic, objective thought and joined-up thinking might help too. I'm sure you have something nice to say about someone or something. Let's hear it and you might get a nice green square. :)

Just trying to help. :)

Crayola xXx

scorrie
31-Dec-05, 12:46
just went in and read the comments I had. Nothing too surprising there.
But I will stick to my guns and not bad rep anyone - and certainly not for disagreeing with me. OR giving me an enjoyable verbal battle!

I notice someone accused me of giving them a -5 rating

That is a bit odd as I have never given anyone a rating of any sort. I wouldn't know how to go about it. If someone makes a good point I will post a comment in the thread agreeing with it. Likewise, if I think someone is talking nonsense I will let them know in the thread itself.

Like Katarina, I am not going to give anyone a bad rating as it seems kinda childish in my opinion. If someone disagrees with my opinion then that is their right. If people get over the score and descend into name-calling then the moderators are there to take action.

unicorn
31-Dec-05, 12:53
To give a rating on a post you click on the scales icon betwen post number and the warning sign a box then comes up you can leave a comment in.

scorrie
31-Dec-05, 19:55
To give a rating on a post you click on the scales icon betwen post nimber and the warning sign a box then comes up you can leave a comment in.

OK, thanks for the info!! Much obliged.

concerned resident
01-Jan-06, 20:29
Crayola (Quote)
your unsympathetic opinions that rile people, but the apparent gruff & grumpy manner in which you express them. Try being a little more friendly. A little more logic, objective thought and joined-up thinking might help too.

Thank you for your views, it is possible that i am to old to learn new tricks, and just tell it as i see it, i was probably to near the truth in some cases, and the only way the poor souls could get any gratification was to give me a bad reputation.

crayola
02-Jan-06, 03:16
Thank you for your views, it is possible that i am to old to learn new tricks, and just tell it as i see it,
I realise that you just tell it as you see it. I suspect that's part of the problem. Why not try to put things into perspective? Why not try to construct a rational argument instead of making gruff statements and curt judgements that you don't even attempt to justify?

i was probably to near the truth in some cases, and the only way the poor souls could get any gratification was to give me a bad reputation.
I very much doubt that was the reason. Why don't you try to convince people that they should subscribe to your point of view instead of making pronouncements that evidently annoy them? IMO you are being counterproductive and doing harm to the causes you support.

I'm only trying to help. It seems to me that you don't deserve to be a member of the red square club, but the style of your posts is sufficient to buy you membership of that not-very-exclusive club.

JAWS
02-Jan-06, 04:18
crayola, that's what I call "constructive criticism" and is far more helpful than just anonymously labeling somebody, a method which serves no purpose at all.
At least constructive criticism gives the other person a chance to consider if they think there is a problem and also gives them a chance to consider if they need to change what they are doing.
Just giving somebody a poor reputation is like punishing somebody but refusing to tell them what they have done wrong and then wondering why they do the same thing again.

concerned resident
02-Jan-06, 15:10
Crayola (Quote)
Why not try to construct a rational argument instead of making gruff statements and curt judgements that you don't even attempt to justify?

Unfortunately having to work, and having very little spare time to visit Caithness.org, and I would love to have the time to give constructive criticism, on the posts I respond to, I could put my evidence forward, which would probably end in litigation, and my removal from this site, remember these are Big boys with QC’s and other methods to silence the individual. That is why I would rather make a bland statement and hope that the person reading it, or hearing information, does not just accept it, but decides to question it. The information is out there, you have just got to notice it, and possibly link it with other incidents, and you may see a pattern emerging in some cases.
Most people now days have enough problems in there day to day living, and are not interested in other things, which in there judgement might not be right, but as it is not effecting them at that time, they forget about it, and get on with more pressing problems.
This is what is happening in the real world, or you can just stay in your own dream world,
Its up to the individual person concerned.
I haven’t checked my reputation today it could be more than -29 points, but it will not stifle my free speech, I have never given a negative point to anybody, and would not consider doing so.

crayola
02-Jan-06, 15:22
Thanks JAWS :)

I didn't think I was capable of "constructive criticism". I usually shoot from the hip or water it down so much that it turns into grey goo.

I note that concerned resident has a green square all of a sudden. Since he had -29 points a few days ago, a lot of influential people must have suddenly decided they liked him after all, or perhaps he had a little extra help from the moderators. ;)

That's ok, but let's hope he turns into cuddly resident. ;)

badger
02-Jan-06, 15:42
Please forgive me if this has already been explained and I've missed it somewhere but what effect does being suspended have? "Suspended" members don't seem to appear in the Members List but it doesn't stop them posting so what's the point of it? How bad to you have to be to get suspended or isn't it bad? I'm confused.

connieb19
02-Jan-06, 16:00
Please forgive me if this has already been explained and I've missed it somewhere but what effect does being suspended have? "Suspended" members don't seem to appear in the Members List but it doesn't stop them posting so what's the point of it? How bad to you have to be to get suspended or isn't it bad? I'm confused.I am confused also. Often I see references made stating "them" or "us". Does any-one know what this is all about. Is there some sort of great divide, when surely every-one should be entitled to their opinion, good or bad, right or wrong.
After all it would be pretty boring if every-one was the same.:) .

crayola
02-Jan-06, 16:08
Please forgive me if this has already been explained and I've missed it somewhere but what effect does being suspended have? "Suspended" members don't seem to appear in the Members List but it doesn't stop them posting so what's the point of it? How bad to you have to be to get suspended or isn't it bad? I'm confused.As far as I can make out, suspended people can still log on, but they can't post or send/receive PMs. A suspended member's post would have been made before they were suspended.

Go read the forum rules (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=1277) if you want to find out how to get suspended.

badger
02-Jan-06, 16:32
Thanks for the link - which of course I should have looked at. I'd always assumed the status was as at the time of posting but I can see that wouldn't really work as it would have to be always current. I'm learning.

JAWS
02-Jan-06, 16:36
If you get suspended your Username and Password are no longer accepted.
You can look but you can't touch (As a young lady once told me).
No posting, no sending/checking PMs etc.
I'm not sure if you can still send PMs to somebody who is Suspended but I would think not.
If you can they can't get at them to read them in any case.
In effect, you can read through the Messages but you cannot contribute.

badger
02-Jan-06, 16:51
Better be good then. Haven't spent much time on this for a while so am just catching up and finding my way around again :o .

crayola
02-Jan-06, 16:52
Unfortunately having to work, and having very little spare time to visit Caithness.org, and I would love to have the time to give constructive criticism, on the posts I respond to, I could put my evidence forward, which would probably end in litigation, and my removal from this site, remember these are Big boys with QC’s and other methods to silence the individual. That is why I would rather make a bland statement and hope that the person reading it, or hearing information, does not just accept it, but decides to question it. The information is out there, you have just got to notice it, and possibly link it with other incidents, and you may see a pattern emerging in some cases. That's a bit better.

If you have evidence, put it forward. If it really is evidence, then you should be safe. If, on the other hand, it's unsubstantiated opinion, unjustified slander, or if it's internally inconsistent, then there's reason to fear hired heavies with legal letters after their names. And quite rightly so IMO.

Ok, next time you post something contentious or provocative I shall endeavour to question your claims.

I haven’t checked my reputation today it could be more than -29 points, but it will not stifle my free speech, I have never given a negative point to anybody, and would not consider doing so.
You have a green square, so your reputation is positive. :)

crayola
02-Jan-06, 16:57
If you get suspended your Username and Password are no longer accepted. JAWS, there were roughly 8 "suspended" members logged on here a few nights ago. Maybe there's more than one type of suspension. :confused:

JAWS
02-Jan-06, 17:06
Things might have changed with the new system which seems a provide a lot more options than the old board.
Somebody who has recently had a Short Suspension must have the answer to what is allowed and what isn't.
Come on "Somebody" don't be shy, do tell. :)

Rheghead
02-Jan-06, 17:09
Speaking from experience, on the old format if you did get suspended then you weren't even able to look let alone touch but I see this format is different.

fed-ex
06-Jan-06, 12:20
Things might have changed with the new system which seems a provide a lot more options than the old board.
Somebody who has recently had a Short Suspension must have the answer to what is allowed and what isn't.
Come on "Somebody" don't be shy, do tell. :)im just back after a 3 weeks suspension and I can tell you that I was not even allowed to go on the forums. I cold get on the first page of caithness.org but when I clidked to go onto the forums i just got a grey box with a message saying i was banned and the date i would be back on. so i never even got on a look over christmas or new year. im just catching up on everything now. so happy nw year and my new years resolution is to be on best behavior.

Niall Fernie
06-Jan-06, 12:28
Suspended Users can view the forum if they log out. This allows them to view the forums but not post. Suspended Users who remain logged in when they visit will appear in the "Forum Activity" box. Those who make it to enough posts to be listed in the members list tend not to get suspended.

Mostly, suspended users come out at night, mostly....

Saveman
06-Jan-06, 14:31
<snippidy do da>

Mostly, suspended users come out at night, mostly....

Ohhh, great movie... :)

paris
06-Jan-06, 15:58
Im just back after a suspension. I could look at everything but not reply, and i was on line all hours of the day and night.

DW
09-Feb-06, 01:20
Just back after suspension for breaking the word masking rule.

How exactly does it work?

If I mask a four letter word, it could be any four letter word. The four letter word I get banned for might not even be the same one I masked.

If I masked the word 'blob'; then if I called someone a big fat blob (masked) I would get banned.
Surely I would get banned because someone had an evil mind; I might just be mischevious by masking.

It's good to talk

Rheghead
09-Feb-06, 01:37
Just back after suspension for breaking the word masking rule.

How exactly does it work?

If I mask a four letter word, it could be any four letter word. The four letter word I get banned for might not even be the same one I masked.

If I masked the word 'blob'; then if I called someone a big fat blob (masked) I would get banned.
Surely I would get banned because someone had an evil mind; I might just be mischevious by masking.

It's good to talk

Your enquiry would have weight if you acknowledged that your 4 letter masked word could have been deemed to be offensive, rather than put up a fallacious pseudo-innocent strawman. IMHO, if you mask words so much to the point of semi-interpretation then it is up to you to make sure that they can't be misinterpreted...:roll:

ice box
06-Mar-06, 06:47
I have just been bad reped i thought that we was'nt allowed to bad rep without leaveing a name so why dont the person that bad reped me please leave there name thats the cowards way dont worry i dont bite lol

Rheghead
06-Mar-06, 12:18
I have just been bad reped i thought that we was'nt allowed to bad rep without leaveing a name so why dont the person that bad reped me please leave there name thats the cowards way dont worry i dont bite lol

As far as I am aware, anonymous repping (good or bad) is still ok so long as you leave a comment.

Bad repping is not allowed if you just disagree with the opinion or picking up on bad spelling or grammar.

MadPict
06-Mar-06, 12:46
Reputation System or Disrepute System??

Whoa - crayola is collecting red squares by the look of it!

I notice that Niall has disabled his reputation - seems like this is indicative of his belief in the Reputation system?

Accordingly I think that members should be given the choice of whether they have this function of the board active or not. We can choose whether we are 'visible' on the forum user list, have our AIM/MSN/ICQ/Yahoo! username available, even have a profile picture, but can we disable the "Disrepute System" It seems to be a topic which will grind on and on - just search for "reputation" in the General forum and you get 7 pages/192 results.

What would I choose?
I would turn it off.
I have had anonymous comments left because I happen to say the wrong thing (or right, depending on your views/length of time here) and if the individuals haven't got the spine to post an open reply or PM me about something I have said, then I'd rather not hear from them.

scrapydoo
06-Mar-06, 12:54
Can you choose if you are visable

MadPict
06-Mar-06, 12:58
Yes - got to UserCP ( leftside of the nav bar just below forum title) then click on Edit Options - it is top of the list.

You'll only be invisible to other members - not Admins - they see all ;)

scrapydoo
06-Mar-06, 13:04
Yes - got to UserCP ( leftside of the nav bar just below forum title) then click on Edit Options - it is top of the list.

Thanks i was just curious

angela5
06-Mar-06, 13:23

Being invisible..sounds fun like being a spy[lol] ..I really don't see the point in being invisible..whats the benefits?

MadPict
06-Mar-06, 14:09
Some people may wish to lurk without being spotted? A bit like hiding in the bushes watching the bigger kids playing?

DW
06-Mar-06, 15:17
I suspect that the invisible facility is something only available to 'certain' members. All part of the class system that operates in these parts perchance.

dragonfly
06-Mar-06, 16:03
i'm invisible for one reason only, stops my daughter seeing me online and constantly PM'ing me! :p after all I am at work!

angela5
06-Mar-06, 16:50
Some people may wish to lurk without being spotted? A bit like hiding in the bushes watching the bigger kids playing?

Can everyone hide in the bush MadPict?
I think i will give hiding a miss i'll stand in front of the bush and be seen:o)

badger
06-Mar-06, 18:16
Be fun to see what this forum looks like - I have a picture of suspended members hovering above on wires, invisibles lurking (maybe you can hear them or see their footsteps in the grass), others hiding behind bushes, guests standing around politely but silently while members chat, trusted members in a little huddle together trying to look wise, juniors on the climbing frame and Niall on a high throne gazing down benevolently (or not as the case may be) ready to pounce on any misbehaviour.

What do you see?

angela5
06-Mar-06, 18:28
I see a playing field..Niall standing tall and proud on a hill..all the junior members and guests are happily skipping around it waiting to venture into the unknown...The members are swinging back and forth on swings full of chat...
The senior members are pushing the round-about around very fast..making all the suspended members they have sitting on it plead for mercy....Trusted members are in the bushes their eyes sparkling through the gaps...:grin:

Niall Fernie
06-Mar-06, 20:02
If only....

The image is more like me sitting at and old fashioned telephone switchboard in a dank looking basemant, furiously trying to cease the flashing lights and ringing bells by pluggin the correct wire into the correct hole whilst reading a thick manual entitled "how everything is supposed to work" , trying to find things to plug the holes in the pipes that keep appearing and spraying cold water everywhere and trying to eat a pot noodle. It gets a bit more complicated if the phone rings or I get an e-mail but I'm sure you get the picture. :roll:

DW
22-Mar-06, 12:33
Is something going to be done about those who post with unsigned reputation comments.

Rheghead
22-Mar-06, 19:20
Is something going to be done about those who post with unsigned reputation comments.

As far as I understand it, the guidelines don't outlaw anonymous rep comments. The recommendation is that a comment should
be left so the recipient can decide whether the rep is good or bad.

DW
22-Mar-06, 19:30
Got advice from another poster that if you receive unsigned, anonymous, bad rep, Niall will remove it at your PM request.

I am quite happy with any signed repppp.

DrSzin
22-Mar-06, 20:19
Colin's draft guidance is here (http://forum.caithness.org/showpost.php?p=55910&postcount=1). Note that it doesn't say anything about whether reputation comments should be signed or not. All it says on that front is that "All ratings must have a comment".

Colin (and or Niall), perhaps this information should be added to the Forum Rules soon.