PDA

View Full Version : CHaP takeover by Highland Council

Rheghead
09-Aug-08, 14:04
Can anyone convince me that anything has really changed? Isn't it all glass walls and hollow reorganisations with the same parties making decisions? It isn't my patch but Highland council is and I'm interested in a possible success of CHaP.

http://www.caithness-business.co.uk/article.php?id=936

Green_not_greed
09-Aug-08, 16:14
I completely agree. This system is very much a first and with £Ms of investment - it needs to be a success both for Wick and for the County. If I hear correctly, not one of the past or replacement management team has any experience in managing such a system, its technicalities, or a project with a budget of this size. And as all past and present team members are publicly-funded employees, there is little accountability for failure and the whole system grinds on regardless.

Its about time an experienced private contractor was given it to run - perhaps on a managing agent basis - with clear deliverables and accountability.

Margaret M.
09-Aug-08, 19:07
Its about time an experienced private contractor was given it to run - perhaps on a managing agent basis - with clear deliverables and accountability.

I don't know much about this floundering fiasco but that seems like a very sensible solution.

scorrie
09-Aug-08, 20:04
As far as I am concerned this venture has been a total farce. New systems are always going to be a tricky prospect. Throw in Directors who are not experts in the field and you are in dodgy territory.

To the casual, untrained eye, there would appear to be the "guts" of £10 million pumped into this project. That would seem to be a savage indictment of a scheme that has not managed to reach a very modest target of heating 500 homes. There is a Bio reactor scheme in Lockerbie that aims to provide heat for 70,000 homes for example. Needless to say, without the first gasifier having been proved successful, funding for a second gasifier has already been granted.

People with no relevant skills being made Directors, outside labour and expertise brought in to run the project. Anyone smell a recipe for "Hicks from the Sticks" being taken for a ride at their own expense?

Play theme tune from Shaft here:- ...............

ywindythesecond
09-Aug-08, 20:54
"Six councillors will form the new board of the company, which will be supported by senior officers of the Council."

And what are their credentials?
Anyone remember the SMP's taking over building the Scottish Parliament Building?
Will the Councillors and Senior Officers be personally accountable?
Who are they anyway?

accossie
13-Aug-08, 12:32
The idea that this scheme will be saved by Highland Council taking it over is laughable.

They have been fully involved since the inception and a change of directors will make no difference. It is an innovative scheme and the only person who had experience of these schemes, Elizabeth Marshall, saw the light after setting it in motion by leaving for Orkney.

As I understand it people have guaranteed contracts offering heat and hot water for £8 per week and they are cushioned against the rises in fuel costs in gas, oil, electricity and coal which everbody else is forced to pay. The council has taken over the scheme so we are effectively subsidising the costs through our rates

250 houses are on line paying £ 8 per week which is only £2000 per week or £100,000 per annum. That will not pay for the oil never mind make any inroads into the debt

The council would have been far better committing their funds and " expertise " to improvements in Wick High School which would be a positive investment for the future

ocd
13-Aug-08, 12:55
Absolutely!!!

I only wish my heating bill was a guaranteed £8 per week!!!! Its already higher than that and looks set to increase again very soon.

I think it is ridiculous plowing more money into this scheme, it is never going to be efficient enough to supply adequate heating to these homes using wood alone they will always need to be topped up with oil.... and who pays for this, thats right me and you!!!

dozy
22-Aug-08, 14:41
Same old ,same old .New faces with not a clue ...