PDA

View Full Version : Just out of guarantee!

Angel
04-Aug-08, 23:14
I have some clothes pegs which I bought last year around July and now thay have all broken...
Then I remember my DVD recorder I bought and it ceased to work 1 day after the 12 months guaratee ran out!

Have you ever had anything that just about does what it says on the tin... or just about made the "out of guarantee" date...

Angel

Kathy@watten
04-Aug-08, 23:30
Grrrrr my toaster and kettle both had untimely deaths but kids wellies had one year warrenties and got new ones as they both perished before they ran out!

George Brims
05-Aug-08, 00:38
I have had two gas water heaters expire within two months of their (6 year or 8 year) guarantees running out. One year to go on number 3!

Metalattakk
05-Aug-08, 01:18
We had a 28" widescreen TV that died just 6 days before the 1-year warranty ran out.

Boy, how we laughed. [lol]

Geo
05-Aug-08, 10:54
Our fridge freezer died a month or two out of warranty but Beko sent an engineer out to fix it free. I'd only phoned them to ask a price. It had been a gift so I didn't know where it was bought or have a receipt. Thumbs up to Beko!

BTW the 12 month warranty is in addition to consumer law. If an item such as a TV or washing machine for example failed just after the warranty had expired you can chase it up with the retailer. Expect a battle but it's covered in the Sale of Goods Act.

katarina
05-Aug-08, 11:05
Our fridge freezer died a month or two out of warranty but Beko sent an engineer out to fix it free. I'd only phoned them to ask a price. It had been a gift so I didn't know where it was bought or have a receipt. Thumbs up to Beko!

BTW the 12 month warranty is in addition to consumer law. If an item such as a TV or washing machine for example failed just after the warranty had expired you can chase it up with the retailer. Expect a battle but it's covered in the Sale of Goods Act.

Wish i'd known that. my washing machine died one week after guarantee expired.

Kevin Milkins
05-Aug-08, 13:52
I have some clothes pegs which I bought last year around July and now thay have all broken...
Then I remember my DVD recorder I bought and it ceased to work 1 day after the 12 months guaratee ran out!

Have you ever had anything that just about does what it says on the tin... or just about made the "out of guarantee" date...

Angel

Ther was a burgler alarm manufacture down south that was fitting a device to the alarms so they would fail just after the guarantee ran out ,then he would sting the owner with a hefty repair bill.
They got found out when an independant engineer was called in to do a repair and he found the device hidden inside.
How naughty is that ?:confused

BHG
05-Aug-08, 14:27
We bought a fantastic large tv from Currys a few years ago for a grand, then a year and a week later it packed up (12 month guarantee).

We discovered that the problem was the type of tv used a bulb (digital light projection or DLP), these bulbs have a short lifespan and therefore need replacing every 12-24 months at a cost of nearly £300, something which Currys kindly forgot to mention to us at the time of purchase[mad].

Needless to say, we won't ever shop at Currys again.

EDDIE
05-Aug-08, 16:51
I thought those bulbs shouls last for about 2000hrs.I have a projecter for watching dvd and its supposed to last 3000 hrs i hope so the bulbis £130 and thats cheap compared to some others

Allsorts
05-Aug-08, 17:08
Electical applicances are actually covered by a two year guarantee and shops will replace them if you remind them about it. there is a bit on the internet about it. If anyone wants it let me know as my hubby has the details. Worked for us many a time when things have broken down in just under two years

percy toboggan
05-Aug-08, 17:29
A very expensive Panasonic dvd player when they were fairly new.
DVD players and recorders seem nowhere near as robust as the old VCR's.
I also find the 'versatile' discs are much less 'versatile' Only positive is the picture quality....admittedly one heck of a positive.

Bad Manners
05-Aug-08, 17:34
Electical applicances are actually covered by a two year guarantee and shops will replace them if you remind them about it. there is a bit on the internet about it. If anyone wants it let me know as my hubby has the details. Worked for us many a time when things have broken down in just under two years

We bought a tumble dryer from a local store and if broke down 1 day after guarntee ran out. to repair it this same company wanted to charge £189.
so we were advised it was not economical to repair as we could buy a new one from you guessed it the same shop.

After the shop telling me what was wrong with it I decided to look for the part for myself on the internet and low and behold from an autherised dealer there was the part including postage £11.50.
it took me 30 mins to replace and the dryer has been going strong ever since( 2years )

It is no wonder we have an increasing demand for steel etc when these companys are writing off perfectly good machines all in the name of profit

EDDIE
05-Aug-08, 17:38
I read something about that as well its supposed to be a europeen law that all electrical appliances have a 2 year guarntee

Tristan
05-Aug-08, 19:16

I would appreciate the link.
Thanks

BHG
05-Aug-08, 19:24
I thought those bulbs shouls last for about 2000hrs.I have a projecter for watching dvd and its supposed to last 3000 hrs i hope so the bulbis £130 and thats cheap compared to some others
2000 hours sounds a lot, but 6 hours a day uses that up in under a year. We would just leave the tv on all the time, so if my lad came home from school and put the playstation on at say 3:30 then the tv would then be left on until I went to bed at say 3 or 4 am, most of that time no-one would be watching it or using it but it was just left on as it's one of those tv's that doesn't come on instantly and so it's more convenient leaving it on that switching on and off, if you know what I mean. Obviously now that we know about the bulb, the tv gets switched off some of the time when not in use so as to get more than 12 months from it.

The bulb replacement first time was around £300 but that did include around £85 as the service charge. Having watched what the technician did though, I now know I can easily replace the bulb myself, but I can't get the bulbs cheaper that £236 so it's still an expense.

EDDIE
05-Aug-08, 23:10
2000 hours sounds a lot, but 6 hours a day uses that up in under a year. We would just leave the tv on all the time, so if my lad came home from school and put the playstation on at say 3:30 then the tv would then be left on until I went to bed at say 3 or 4 am, most of that time no-one would be watching it or using it but it was just left on as it's one of those tv's that doesn't come on instantly and so it's more convenient leaving it on that switching on and off, if you know what I mean. Obviously now that we know about the bulb, the tv gets switched off some of the time when not in use so as to get more than 12 months from it.

The bulb replacement first time was around £300 but that did include around £85 as the service charge. Having watched what the technician did though, I now know I can easily replace the bulb myself, but I can't get the bulbs cheaper that £236 so it's still an expense.

£236 is a lot but if your happy with the quality of the tv then i would put another bulb in what i did last year when i needed a tv i went for 32 inch lcd tv for watching tv and then bought projector for watching dvds can get about 100inch viewing size on it i went that way worked out about £1000 for tv and projector that way my bulb should last about 3 years hopefully i only watch a dvd once maybey twice a week.
The thing that people dont relise if u buy a projector or tv than needs a lamp if the product is bran new they dont actually sell the lamp or bulb for about 3 to 4 month later after the product is relised so u have no way of finding out the price of the lamp before u decide to by the tv or projector its crazy because that could be the make or break decision in buying the product

scorrie
06-Aug-08, 16:13

It is not that straightforward.

The directive is summarised here:-

http://europa.eu/scadplus/leg/en/lvb/l32022.htm

The key points to bear in mind are:-

"The seller is liable to the consumer for any lack of conformity which exists when the goods are delivered to the consumer and which becomes apparent within a period of two years unless, at the moment of conclusion of the contract of sale, the consumer knew or could not reasonably be unaware of the lack of conformity."

This means that any fault/problem had to be inherent to the goods at the time of delivery, not something that developed later.

"Any lack of conformity becoming apparent within six months of delivery will be presumed to have existed at the time of delivery, unless:

* proof to the contrary is furnished;
* this presumption is incompatible with the nature of the goods or the nature of the lack of conformity."

Basically, this means that (for the first six months) the onus is on the seller to prove that no problem or fault existed with the goods at the time of delivery. As the consumer, you are in a strong position for the first six months. However, after the six months the onus moves to the purchaser to prove that a fault existed at the time the goods were delivered. Obviously a seller would then ask why you had put up with faulty goods for six months and not brought the problem to their attention earlier.

Some sellers may well offer you a replacement in order to enhance their reputation or as a gesture of goodwill but I would not be surprised if some told you to take a hike!!

Personally speaking, I would give it a try and see if the seller would help you out. They can only say yes or no after all.

George Brims
06-Aug-08, 23:22
We bought a fantastic large tv from Currys a few years ago for a grand, then a year and a week later it packed up (12 month guarantee).

We discovered that the problem was the type of tv used a bulb (digital light projection or DLP), these bulbs have a short lifespan and therefore need replacing every 12-24 months at a cost of nearly £300, something which Currys kindly forgot to mention to us at the time of purchase[mad].

Needless to say, we won't ever shop at Currys again.

The DLP is the amazing little gadget that forms the picture. The bulb just produces the light. Our conference room projector blew a bulb in the middle of a meeting recently (huge noise!). We put in the spare, and our IT guy then went to buy another one for backup, and found the bulb was dearer than a new projector of the same type (it's pretty obsolete). He shopped around and we bought a new projector (end of financial year splurge!) that has much cheaper bulbs. It's definitely a factor to consider when buying any device of that type. Same thing goes for ink or toner for printers. Inkjet printers are amazingly cheap but the replacement cartridges vary a lot.

To be fair to Currys, their guy may have had no idea of the bulb cost. Of course that's because they don't use smart highly trained staff. That's how they keep their prices down.

George Brims
06-Aug-08, 23:31
A very expensive Panasonic dvd player when they were fairly new.
DVD players and recorders seem nowhere near as robust as the old VCR's.
I also find the 'versatile' discs are much less 'versatile' Only positive is the picture quality....admittedly one heck of a positive.
I've found I've had a lot less trouble with DVD than with VHS. At least a DVD player will not eat your movie if it's feeling a bit unwell.
The "versatile" name is because Sony and Phillips originally wanted to call it "Digital Video Disc" but that was a copyright infringement on an older product (anyone remember the huge 12 inch video discs?) so they had to come up with something that would keep the initials they had already printed on things.