PDA

View Full Version : House Plants.....

Jackpot
04-Aug-08, 21:31
What do you do with house plants that get too tall for the house? I have one that I don't want to just throw out but I have run out of room for it....... Any ideas?

justine
04-Aug-08, 21:34
That would depend on what type of houseplant it is. Many can survive outdoors in shady, windfree area, like a patio or conservatory.
more info on it would help with answers.

Jackpot
04-Aug-08, 21:48
Hi Justine, thanks for your reply!

It's a Dracaena marginata (Madagascar Dragon Tree). It is a super looking thing with a double stem. Sadly it has now reached the roof (8 ft) and has nowhere else to go........

justine
04-Aug-08, 21:58
hi. looks like you got a big problem here. It likes warm temperatures, will tolerate dry soil., but will rot if too wet. It can reach atleast 2-5m in height, which yours should be in the middle. Best see if yu could donate it to an office, or find a bigger room. Beautiful plants, i have 2 smaller ones.

Jackpot
04-Aug-08, 22:01
Well if anyone has a big room and is willing to give it a good home they are welcome to it. I have had it for years and would hate for it to end up being dumped just because it has gotten too tall........

changilass
04-Aug-08, 22:33
Would it not sit near the bottom of the stairs, I know I have nearly double height ceilings from the bottom of the stairs

Got this from googling:-
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_plants_propagation/article/0,,HGTV_3611_1382837,00.html

Jackpot
04-Aug-08, 22:46
No it's not possible to get it near the stairs with the way they are designed. I have run out of room options! Read the googled thread with interest though ~ thanks for posting it! Years ago I had a Yucca that got too big so we just sawed it in half and stuck the bit with leaves in a pot! A bit brutal perhaps but it is still going strong :o)

changilass
04-Aug-08, 23:14
lol did same with a yukka thats what made me think to google it lol good luck