PDA

View Full Version : Screamo

nutty da drummer
15-Dec-05, 17:10
Just out of interest, does alot of people like screamo? i mean,would a band up here that did screamo get your interest or would you not like them?

scridge
15-Dec-05, 23:45
i'd listen, definatly i think soemthing, like that need to kick off up here, but it would only work if the bands performance went along with the style, no more jsut standign in fromt o pl playing and leave,there would hva to be a LOT of movement,as fans of the genre woould expect, coz its all abotu the passion etc, but go for it man i'd love to see, or even b part o a haavy band up ere.

Jeid
15-Dec-05, 23:47
Well, it would all depend on what you mean by screamo exactly?

Reev
16-Dec-05, 00:44
Is that what your wanting to do with your band dude?

if so, why not try it, and see for yourselves what you think, if your happy to do it and at least give it a try

then GAME ON !!!!!!!!!!!

DM
16-Dec-05, 01:06
No offence but if you're happy to fit into a category you probably don't have that much to offer musically to the world so I guess that you should STOP until you develop a personality disorder/reorder or come up with something truly original/slightly different!!

Reev
16-Dec-05, 13:32
dont worry nutty, i know you, and i know you have more to offer, so dont worry about that last comment, if you want to try it, then go for it

MagicalTrevor
16-Dec-05, 13:41
I'm 99% certain Screamo wouldn't work up here I'm afraid...

busy
16-Dec-05, 14:17
sorry for being thick, but what on earth is 'Screamo'?

MagicalTrevor
16-Dec-05, 14:44
Well I can only assume its like Emo (whiny post-punk kids singing about girls + school) but with slipknot style screaming :P

If its not that then bleh!

Jeid
16-Dec-05, 20:17
God, Emo... wtf is that? Please define it for me... I supposedly listen to EMO music, yet nobody can put a finger on what it actually is.

Who cares about genres, who really cares? Anyone? I don't. Its music that I love and listen to. If people wanna argue about genres, then let them lash on at it, I'm sick of that boring topic.

It's like the age old "what is punk?" conversation. Nobody can define it, so why waste time on another one of these pointless debates?

Michael, do what you think sounds good, why aim for a title? If you have a group of good musicians, you can create your own style.

Screw some of these guys with their negative attitudes

busy
17-Dec-05, 15:10
erm, i wasnt trying to start a debate about 'what is screamo'. Iv never heard of screamo and would like to learn more about it. If someone can name a screamo band then il happily download a tune so i can decide if i like that style of music.

Chobbersjnr
17-Dec-05, 15:17
I've recorded bands that employ screamo techniques the best of which is a band from fortrose called As The Sun

The singer Ed Phillips has the most musical scream I've ever heard (almost sounds like a contradiction in terms)

Try googlerising "As The Sun" & download some stuff see what you think Busy

I can't screamo & don't honestly like it that much although can appreciate what it takes to achieve (I can tell you it can be hard to record)

L8r
Cjnr:cool:

nutty da drummer
17-Dec-05, 16:46
well im not sure that ill be doing it yet but we recently learnt a hawthorn heights song, angels with even filthier souls and its got a screamo bit in the back ground and i do that though im not sure if people will ike it with it or without it. anyone know? but thats the only song. i dont know the set list yet but ill put our covers on when i member them all

Keve!
19-Dec-05, 20:20
Jeid, I see what you mean about the whole categorising of music, people seem to clump certain band together and say they are emo. Well, like you said, what is emo? Emo (in my understanding of) the phrase briefly stands for emotional rock, with the rock being coupled relatively loosely.

It's certainly not restricted to "whiny post-punk kids singing about girls + school" and someone some so put it. Emo applies to anything someone writes about with deep emotion. Alex Kapranos of Franz fame famously said he wanted "to make music girls could dance to" and i'm pretty sure he felt emotional about it, because really guys, what is an emotion?

And that is my point exactly, emotion is infinite, if you feel strongly enough for something, someone, an idea, a situation, anything then you're showing emotion. Insfacto you get emo.

Which incidently encompases the entire range of music spectrum from good ol' john denver and his love for west virginia to 50 pence and his love for hangin with his homies in 'da club'.

Now, I listen to alot of music and it's so hard to describe what a band sounds like never mind categorise them when styles of music like 'emo' can be applied loosely.

>>
>>>
>>
>>>
>>

But Nutty, i'd listen to that, but not if you're just gonna be a cover band, write your own music and by all means cover a couple of songs at gig's but don't do a set of covers, the caithness music scene won't flourish in a sea of lame ass cover bands and blink 182/greenday tribute acts.

zebedy
19-Dec-05, 22:36
i though ffaf were emo/screamo?

nutty da drummer
19-Dec-05, 22:56
well personally emo is when someone puts emotion into there singing so everything could be singer if that person feels something for the song, but thats what i think. ffaf used screamo, not anymore i dont think and the put alot of emotion in it so yeah id say they are

Jeid
19-Dec-05, 23:53
Erm, forgive me for being a bit on the picky side here, but EMO certainly does not mean Emotional rock. Name me one type of music that isn't emotional? The blues is probably the music that screams emotion.... you don't see or hear people calling the blues EMO.

The term Emo is one that is handed to every band that uses melodic verses with sing-a-long choruses with the odd screamy bit. It was originally derived from the 80's hardcore scene with bands like Minor Threat and in the early 90's to present day has been implemented by post-hardcore bands. But, actually singling out "Emo" bands isn't an easy task. Every person has their own view as to what Emo actually is or isn't. Just like "Punk", nobody can single handedly define a Genre.

If you ask me, Emo is a style, not a Genre of music.

Funeral For A Friend still use screamy parts in their songs when they play live... so do lots of bands. Foo Fighters use screamy bits in songs when they play live, it doesn't make them a screamo band. Like I said, its a difficult genre to pin down.

MagicalTrevor
20-Dec-05, 03:00
Er in defence of me, it could be said I personally am not a fan of Emo (think Jimmy Eat World) which tends to be a very personal kind of punk (I think this is what someone meant when they said "emotional") and this is not to say that other genres are NOT personal. Yes all music has an element of emotion and a emphasis on the bands personal life (to varying extents) it's just that Emo tends to take the masculinity out of it a little bit, so in a sense can be construed as whiny :P

But don't get me wrong, if I paraphrase Hendrix (i think :P) there are only 2 types of music - good and bad so I am definately not saying Emo is all bad. It's just I havent heard it!

Finally look fair enough Jeid point about good music (be it Emo Screamo Reggae or 80's electropop) will always be encouraged, I personally think that going up on stage and combining the personal soft-punk of Jimmy Eat World with the screaming of say Slipknot or some Linkin Park stuff, will NOT go down in your typical caithness joints like Hagars :P

But by all means prove me wrong!

Jeid
20-Dec-05, 12:46
I personally don't think it would either, but maybe some of these people are planning on branching out more than just Caithness gigs?

I'm sure they'd go down reasonably well at an ERC if they were good enough. This style of music is pretty difficult to nail... and to do it well is even more difficult.

I think www.myspace.com/mymindsweapon is a good idea of the typical hardcore screamo band, but I can't really pin these guys down. I know them personally and their influences vary