PDA

View Full Version : Problems with BT Broadband

Liz
03-Aug-08, 19:03
Is anyone else having problems with their BT internet?

My connection has been dropping quite a bit over the past week. I called BT but, of course, when I was phoning them the connection was fine.
I got them to test the phone line and this okay.

I can get it work after a while by rebooting but this is a real pest.:confused

Foxy
03-Aug-08, 21:27
Liz i'm having problems with mine, i had no broadband since Friday night then all of a sudden it came on again about 5pm today (Sunday), BT are supposed to be coming to fix it tomorrow as i phoned them on Friday night :lol:. I will have to cancel there visit if it's still on tomorrow.

Liz
03-Aug-08, 21:57
Hi Foxy

Sorry to hear your having problems as well. Mine has been playing up since last Sunday.

If yours does go off again try putting a needle (or something sharp) in the hole marked reset as this has helped when my connection has dropped.
It's still a pest though.

Brizer2k7
04-Aug-08, 03:12
Hi,

I wouldnt put a needle into the reset button of the router as this would wipe the configuration of the device completely back to factory defaults.

That means the router would no longer be configured to connect to your BT Broadband account.

If you have any connection problems, then I'd plug ONLY the router and the ADSL filter into the BT Master socket (may only be one phone socket in the house?) and unplug all other devices that use the phone line such as SKY Tv box, fax, another telephone, answer machine, alarm system.

Also. If you have more than one BT socket in the house, then make sure there is an extra ADSL filter at each socket that is using the phone line.

If problem still exists after that then swap the ADSL filter. If same after that then call BT as there will be a fault.

I have supported Broadband for many years, originally at BT, then Nildram LTD and now in my current job at Scottish and Newcastle, In Edinburgh.

This is called the basic Broadband diagnostics and you can explain to BT what you have done before you call them. Saves a lot of the time, especially if they charge you for a premium or National rate call.

Liz
04-Aug-08, 12:17
Hi,

I wouldnt put a needle into the reset button of the router as this would wipe the configuration of the device completely back to factory defaults.

It was BT who told me to do this and have done it on a few occasions with no problems.

Many thanks for the very useful advice.

Bobinovich
04-Aug-08, 13:25
I'm pretty sure that most BT hubs & routers don't need user names & passwords any more - they seem to work out of the box.

Brizer2k7
04-Aug-08, 16:53
I'd take a lot of what some BT analysts say with a pinch of salt. Our remote users have BT Business Broadband and some of the crap they come up with sometimes amazes me.

resetting the BT router / home hub will like configure it with BT's Test username and password which will make it connect ok but not with your own account details.

If you need to know stats about your usage, speeds etc then this would mess that up because you are not connecting with your own BT account.

I find it strange BT ask people to do this but if it worked ok and fixed your connection problem then fine.

Solus
04-Aug-08, 18:15
I'm pretty sure that most BT hubs & routers don't need user names & passwords any more - they seem to work out of the box

seems so, not with BT, but got new router today, set it up and was about to do battle with sorting all the settings and it worked, like you say straight out of the box.

Foxy
05-Aug-08, 00:45
Yippee got my broadband sorted today (Monday), the fault was on the pole outside so it was bt's problem not mine. :)

Brizer2k7
05-Aug-08, 03:47
Hi,

working night shift at the moment and my colleague Kevin has a BT Hub and he said that when you press the reset button it does wipe the router, then when you power it up it reloads the config with the original username and password.

Make sense now. If you do that with the routers we (Scottish and Newcastle) issue to our remote users then it just wipes the config adn you have to log into a web based interface and re-enter the username and password.

Glad all is ok for foxy now.

Liz
05-Aug-08, 12:10
Yippee got my broadband sorted today (Monday), the fault was on the pole outside so it was bt's problem not mine. :)

Great news!:lol: