PDA

View Full Version : Gallowhill,Killimster Road & Farquhar's Court,Wick

w.j.milne
31-Jul-08, 22:15
Both locations as titled featured in the marriage of my grandparents in 1912. I fail to locate them on my maps.Can anyone assist.Bill.

Mosser
01-Aug-08, 17:07
Both locations as titled featured in the marriage of my grandparents in 1912. I fail to locate them on my maps.Can anyone assist.Bill.

Hi Bill,

Killimster Road is now George Street, Gallowhill is the area at the north end around Bignold Court and Farquhar's Court was just off the High Street where Boots Chemist is today that would be just to the east of Mowat Lane. Hope this helps.

Mosser

sgmcgregor
01-Aug-08, 21:11
Bill,

There is a previous post which mentions Gallowhill. Mine!

If you do a search in the Genalogy group for "Gallowhill" you will find the message.

This place is up near "Bignold Court" as it's known today. My interest is in the surname "Dallas" so if you are interested in the area then the families may have known one another.

I will go back to my OPR entries and crosscheck for the name in any records I already own and have downloaded. What is the name you are interested in?

If you want you can pm me.

Steven (Thurso, Caithness, Scotland)

w.j.milne
08-Aug-08, 20:34
Thank you for your assistance Steven. I have looked at your reply & Mosser's.My family is Manson. My Grandmother was Helen Nicolson Manson, b.1878,Wester,Wick. Census 1891 shows the family at 'Gallowhill' & two rooms with a window. This must have been a small house.Census 1901 still at 'Gallowhill'. No other families at 'Gallowhill' so I presume this was 'Gallowhill House'. Or am I wrong?. My Grandfather John Milne, Widower, married Helen in 1912, she lived at 3,Farquhars Court & he temporary at the 'Gallowhill' , although his main address was Banff. I* am based in Essex so a little handicap for perusal of records. Any furher assistance you can give would be appreciated. Thank you again, Bill.