PDA

View Full Version : Solar Eclipse

brokencross
31-Jul-08, 09:34
Tomorrow morning Friday 1st August there will be a partial eclipse of the sun in the UK

In London the partial phase of the eclipse begins at 0933 BST (0833 GMT). Maximum eclipse is at 1018 BST (0918 GMT) when 12% of the Sun will be blocked. The partial eclipse ends at 1105 BST (1005 GMT).

Further north in the British Isles, observers enjoy a better view. From Edinburgh 23.5% of the Sun is covered and from Lerwick in the Shetland Isles, the Moon obscures 36% of the solar disk.

Maybe a sky gazing orger can find a link with better info.

Remember not to look at the sun directly.

Valerie Campbell
01-Aug-08, 10:30
Where I am today, it's raining, cloudy and windy. Hope wherever you are you manage to catch a glimpse of it.

Whitewater
01-Aug-08, 10:38
Unfortunately local weather conditions prevent us from viewing the eclipse here in Wick.

golach
01-Aug-08, 10:38
From Edinburgh 23.5% of the Sun is covered Remember not to look at the sun directly.
Brokencross, Aye Right 23.5% of the Sun covered? it has been pouring rain here since 6pm yesterday, it is 100% of the Sun covered :(

brokencross
01-Aug-08, 10:47
Brokencross, Aye Right 23.5% of the Sun covered? it has been pouring rain here since 6pm yesterday, it is 100% of the Sun covered :(

That made me laugh out so loud.

Here in Middlesbrough had a good look at it through my trusty sextant. Nature never ceases to amaze me.

Angela
01-Aug-08, 11:19
golach's right, sadly.:(

Remind me, Brokencross, what is a sun? :roll:

cuddlepop
01-Aug-08, 11:49
Its been pouring here since last night so no luck here in seeing it.:~(

bky
01-Aug-08, 12:23
I'm at Dounreay and seen it through the clouds

golach
01-Aug-08, 13:47
golach's right, sadly.:(

Remind me, Brokencross, what is a sun? :roll:
Angela....The opposite of a daughter [lol]

laguna2
01-Aug-08, 13:57
Too many clouds - and too much rain for me to see it either! :(

wifie
01-Aug-08, 14:29
Was mingin here and I hoped to see it too! Mind you could not compare with total eclipse in 1999 - I saw that on Lewis and it was special! :) Lunar eclipse is lovely too!

joxville
01-Aug-08, 18:10
Was mingin here and I hoped to see it too! Mind you could not compare with total eclipse in 1999 - I saw that on Lewis and it was special! :) Lunar eclipse is lovely too!

Lewis who? Is there something you want to tell us wifie?:D

wifie
01-Aug-08, 19:43
Lewis who? Is there something you want to tell us wifie?:D

Not even gonna dignify that......... [evil] Spoil a good moment why don't ya! :~(

thejudd
01-Aug-08, 23:16
I was in plymouth for the 1999 Eclipse and it was amazing. To watch everything close down as it would at dusk, in the middle of the day was really spooky lol All the street lights came on, my dog went in and went to his bed lol and there was an eyrie silence. Then to watch this dark shadow just race towards you was really quite frightening even though we all knew wot was happeneing. You could see why early civilizations thought it was the end of the world.:D

wifie
02-Aug-08, 01:39
Thank you judd - at least you understand! Unlike some of the philistines on here!

joxville
02-Aug-08, 09:21
I'm no Philistine and nothing will ever eclipse my brightness-I'm a glorious beacon of light.:lol:

wifie
02-Aug-08, 10:28
I am not even goin to mention light sources and baldy nappers! ;)

thejudd
02-Aug-08, 14:59
LOL i'm keepin out of this one lol :D Just know to really appreciate the full extent of an eclipse you have to be right under it path

joxville
02-Aug-08, 18:32
I am not even goin to mention light sources and baldy nappers! ;)

You tread dangerous waters wifie! If I remove my dark glasses and unleash the powerful beams from my eyes you'll be on your knees, (not an unusual position for you I understand), begging forgiveness.:cool: