PDA

View Full Version : USB external storage problems

mrsmo
30-Jul-08, 08:25
I recently bought myself a 2.5" external USB hard drive to which I have transferred all my music onto. The last few days I have started having problems with it, when I tried to access it the computer just froze and I had to turn off, I didnt click what was the problem at first but then this warning message popped up about not being able to write to drive I (the new one) ? I didnt get the rest of the message as I was a bit fed up by this time. So have disconnected and reconnected and played about a bit. Last night booted up pc with it connected and went straight to WMP and started playing music, it played about 2 tracks then it stopped and the warning message about the write thing came up again? the pc was still working so shut down WMP. Can anyone help please [para][mad]

Sapphire2803
30-Jul-08, 13:30
I would guess that it's a duff hard drive.
You're first step would be to try and copy all your music off the drive if you haven't backed it up already.
You say you only bought it recently, I'd take it back for an exchange if I were you, or check out your guarantee.

blueivy
30-Jul-08, 14:02
I recently bought myself a 2.5" external USB hard drive to which I have transferred all my music onto. The last few days I have started having problems with it, when I tried to access it the computer just froze and I had to turn off, I didnt click what was the problem at first but then this warning message popped up about not being able to write to drive I (the new one) ? I didnt get the rest of the message as I was a bit fed up by this time. So have disconnected and reconnected and played about a bit. Last night booted up pc with it connected and went straight to WMP and started playing music, it played about 2 tracks then it stopped and the warning message about the write thing came up again? the pc was still working so shut down WMP. Can anyone help please [para][mad]

Have you tried it in another PC?

mrsmo
31-Jul-08, 08:55
Tried it on my laptop(vista) booted up then connected the drive and it recognised the new hardware and then WMP added all the tracks and it played ok. Booted up the desktop (xp) connected drive and seemed ok then tried to play tracks and had some message about not finding them but sorted that out. then it was ok??? But booted down and booted up again with the external drive still connected and thats when it all goes to pot (I think) WMP freezes and I have to go into task manager to close it down. so as far as I can see - its ok if i boot up then connect the drive?
But I think there was some tracks wouldnt play on the desktop that did play on the laptop, will have another play about tonight just to check. It just takes that long when you start playing about!!:eek:

blueivy
31-Jul-08, 09:19
Tried it on my laptop(vista) booted up then connected the drive and it recognised the new hardware and then WMP added all the tracks and it played ok. Booted up the desktop (xp) connected drive and seemed ok then tried to play tracks and had some message about not finding them but sorted that out. then it was ok??? But booted down and booted up again with the external drive still connected and thats when it all goes to pot (I think) WMP freezes and I have to go into task manager to close it down. so as far as I can see - its ok if i boot up then connect the drive?
But I think there was some tracks wouldnt play on the desktop that did play on the laptop, will have another play about tonight just to check. It just takes that long when you start playing about!!:eek:

I have a customer with a similar problem - reboot the PC and the external drive loses connection. They need to switch the external drive off and on again for it to be recognised. Maybe this is similar?

I have put it down to either poor hardware in the external drive or the USB connections in the PC (it's about 4 years old now). It's one of those things that would cost you more to investigate and repair than is worth it so it's just tolerated.

You *may* have the same problem. The problem you obviously have is that you can't switch a external 2.5" drive (that's what you have?) off and on as there is no power switch!

mrsmo
31-Jul-08, 11:30
Hi Paul.

Sounds very similar, I will have a play about with it on the desktop and see what happens, as its ok on the laptop must be something between the desktop and drive? One of those technological mysteries!!
Thanks for your help.

mrsmo
03-Aug-08, 15:28
Well the damn external is dead I think!!
Have tried it on laptop and desktop and the message I now get is "I/My music is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable!"
So back to ebay to see if I can get a refund. After sitting for hours transferring all my cds on to the damn thing.:mad:

mrsmo
05-Aug-08, 09:16
I dont suppose there are any fixes for recovering the music on the drive?
Does anyone know?

Bobinovich
05-Aug-08, 11:19
If the drive is at all readable then I've sucessfully used EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard Pro before. I've managed to recover hundreds of photos accidentally deleted from a camera, and files which have been through the Windows Recycle Bin, etc. It may be worth a try.

mrsmo
07-Aug-08, 09:26
is there any FREE file recovery software out there for this only ones I found I had to pay!! I know there must be free stuff out there??
any help most be most gratefully received......:confused

Sapphire2803
07-Aug-08, 15:45
You could try ADRC (http://www.adrc.com/software/data_recovery_tools/) :)