PDA

View Full Version : euthanasia

angela5
13-Dec-05, 00:34
what is everyone's view's on euthanasia?

fed-ex
13-Dec-05, 00:35
what is everyone's view's on euthanasia?Yes,please............

abalone
13-Dec-05, 00:58

no thanks,I'll go when my time is up.

EDDIE
13-Dec-05, 01:03
I think it should be legalised on the basis that its strictly controlled and on special cirumstances

angela5
13-Dec-05, 01:56
I think it should be legalised on the basis that its strictly controlled and on special cirumstances

I agree eddie, it should not be for any willy nilly to get there hands on.
There is so many dying and in terrible pain i don't think they should be left to suffer their last days, freeing them from this is the best as i for one would rather die than suffer to the end.

Is there any point to any of us suffering, unable to do anything for ourselves just waiting for the end.

motopitcrew
13-Dec-05, 10:15
i personaly agree with it and will use this method of endind my life at the right time. thair is no way that i am going to lie in pain with no quality of life. or become a burden on my children or thair familys.

Rheghead
13-Dec-05, 12:16
I love animals, when there is the occasion that one of my pets is in such pain that there is no quality of life or any way back to full health then I wouldn't hessitate to make that last phone call to the vet.
I would like someone else to demonstrate the same ultimate measure of kindness to me one day.

Saveman
13-Dec-05, 12:45
And two weeks later they find a cure....

lassieinfife
13-Dec-05, 16:48
They don't let animals suffer so why should humans not be allowed to die with dignity rather than a long drawn out painfull death

jjc
13-Dec-05, 17:28
I would like someone else to demonstrate the same ultimate measure of kindness to me one day.
I agree... and I don't. ;)

My better half is well aware of my wishes should I ever be in a vegetative state with no hope of recovery. In that situation I would not wish to be trapped in a useless shell for the remainder of my days and would want to be allowed to die.

Likewise, if I ever come to the stage in my life where a doctor tells me that there is no hope for me and that I will only continue to deteriorate until the end then I would want to be able to choose to hasten that end and avoid the pain, suffering and indignity of what might be to come. That said, I don't believe in an afterlife or reincarnation and there is no ‘better place’ waiting for me after this one (which has been perfectly nice up until now anyway) so I cannot imagine that I would ever have the courage to say “enough is enough, pull the plug” – I’d just like to have the choice should the situation arise.

What I wouldn’t want to see is euthanasia being anybody else’s choice. We should be able to opt for that ‘ultimate measure of kindness’, but it should never, ever be something that we have demonstrated upon us by another.

golach
13-Dec-05, 21:17

My better half is well aware of my wishes should I ever be in a vegetative state with no hope of recovery. In that situation I would not wish to be trapped in a useless shell for the remainder of my days and would want to be allowed to die.

Likewise, if I ever come to the stage in my life where a doctor tells me that there is no hope for me and that I will only continue to deteriorate until the end then I would want to be able to choose to hasten that end and avoid the pain, suffering and indignity of what might be to come. That said, I don't believe in an afterlife or reincarnation and there is no ‘better place’ waiting for me after this one (which has been perfectly nice up until now anyway) so I cannot imagine that I would ever have the courage to say “enough is enough, pull the plug” – I’d just like to have the choice should the situation arise.

What I wouldn’t want to see is euthanasia being anybody else’s choice. We should be able to opt for that ‘ultimate measure of kindness’, but it should never, ever be something that we have demonstrated upon us by another.

I'm with you and Rheghead on this issue

Drutt
13-Dec-05, 22:07
I once had to complete a questionnaire on my views towards euthanasia, before taking part in an experiment on persuasion. I later discovered that, of 120 or so students, I was scarily the most pro-euthanasia respondent, plus the group that I was placed in to discuss the subject ended up much further along the pro-euthanasia scale in the post-questionnaire than the pre-questionnaire. Even the anti ones ended up in favour of it.

I don't think many people would want to discuss with me the long term future of their senile granny.

I think it's pretty inevitable that it'll be legal and available in my old age (though I do of course hope that there are close controls so that people opt for euthanasia and don't have it chosen for them). If it's not, I could imagine, in certain circumstances, obtaining a one-way ticket to a country which does allow it.

I'd also like more choice over what happens to my body when I die. I'd like my body to be dipped in liquid nitrogen, exposed to ultrasound until my body breaks into tiny frozen pieces of dead body, destined to be used as human compost. Beats burial or cremation.

Big G
13-Dec-05, 23:47
is this tread about the dying people in undeveloped countries ie. euthanasia? i dont quite get the flow! ??:confused:

spiggie
13-Dec-05, 23:57
I think it should be make legal, as long as the person in question has the capacity to make the decision. Personally i dont believe it is fair for someone to have to go through pain, or any sort of suffering in the latter stages of their illness. However I would only agree with euthanasia if it were to be done professionally i.e.- a certain place where people would go for this and all the legal paper work drawn up, otherwise there would be too many loop holes.

porshiepoo
14-Dec-05, 00:33
I'm not sure how I feel about it.
I believe we all have chosen our life path before getting here so in a sense if some dreadful accident or illness leaves us in a vegetative state then we obviously wanted to learn from the experience.

Having said that, there are many many people who don't believe that and regardless of belief I guess we do all have a right to make the decision as to how much we suffer from a disease or disability that we know is terminal.

I don't think I could ever make a decision to kill myself and wouldn't ever want to be put in a position where a family member requests it, but I respect the decisions of those who do feel the need to stop the suffering and the pain and I don't see that as a cowards way out, it can take a lot more courage for a non-believer of life after death to make that decision than it does for a believer to choose to learn from the experience.

Does that make sense?

Rheghead
14-Dec-05, 00:46
it can take a lot more courage for a non-believer of life after death to make that decision than it does for a believer to choose to learn from the experience.

Does that make sense?

Without invoking the angels and the maggots, why do you think it would take more courage for a non-believer to commit suicide?

Surely a non-believer has settled with his concience?

A believer has to balance the fact that it is stated in the Bible that God doesn't approve of suicide or its assistance.

porshiepoo
14-Dec-05, 00:54
Without invoking the angels and the maggots, why do you think it would take more courage for a non-believer to commit suicide?

Surely a non-believer has settled with his concience?

A believer has to balance the fact that it is stated in the Bible that God doesn't approve of suicide or its assistance.

I just feel that a non-believer of life after death believes that death means the end, ergo if they commit suicide that is it! They have no chance to heal on the other side emotionally and 'come back' and try to learn from the experience that they choose for themselves.

As I do believe in life after death I would feel that whatever situation I find myself in that I am supposed to learn from it. I wouldn't have given myself more than I know I could cope with.
I'm not saying that as a believer I would kill myself just because I know I could come back, in fact the thought of having to come back is what would prevent me from killing myself before my time.

Rheghead
14-Dec-05, 01:02
I just feel that a non-believer of life after death believes that death means the end, ergo if they commit suicide that is it! They have no chance to heal on the other side emotionally and 'come back' and try to learn from the experience that they choose for themselves.

As I do believe in life after death I would feel that whatever situation I find myself in that I am supposed to learn from it. I wouldn't have given myself more than I know I could cope with.
I'm not saying that as a believer I would kill myself just because I know I could come back, in fact the thought of having to come back is what would prevent me from killing myself before my time.

I just think that non-believers and believers can't communicate on this issue as non can prove anything and what they believe is what you believe.

Quite frankly, the thought of an afterlife frightens me to bits.

porshiepoo
14-Dec-05, 01:10
Quite frankly, the thought of an afterlife frightens me to bits.
[/QUOTE]

Why???? What ahve you been led to believe afterlife is??

I've found that a lot of people don't so much fear the afterlife as opposed to what their perception of the afterlife to be.
I don't believe in hell or heaven, one or the other.
I also don't believe we're punished in the afterlife for any wrong doings in this life.
I do believe though that we sit in judgement on ourselves when we get there, and this is what is referred to as hell, not some hot , firy place with demons below ground. To sit in judgement on ourselves and be faced with the consequences of decisions we made along the way is the only way to evolve spiritually and is probably one of the hardest things to have to do.

Rheghead
14-Dec-05, 01:17
Why???? What ahve you been led to believe afterlife is??

Dunno, if it means lounging around at the feet of God for eternity or sampling 75 virgins for the umpteenth time (like suicide bombers believe) or spending eternity with all those relatives that have died before me then it sounds like Hell, what have you heard about it? :)

DrSzin
14-Dec-05, 01:30
Quite frankly, the thought of an afterlife frightens me to bits. You're not a true atheist then Rheggers. A true believer in death after life doesn't have such a fear.

porshiepoo
14-Dec-05, 01:30
Dunno, if it means lounging around at the feet of God for eternity or sampling 75 virgins for the umpteenth time (like suicide bombers believe) or spending eternity with all those relatives that have died before me then it sounds like Hell, what have you heard about it? :)

Ach! You'll be glad to see those relatives when they come to greet you and help you back!
You don't have to spend eternity there, in fact the chances are that you'll want to come back again, to live another life and to learn even more than you already have, to experience even more in order to evolve spiritually.

It's ok not to believe in it, it won't change the fact that it's there and when your time does come your soul will recognise the guiding light of home and will gladly go, for whatever length of time you choose to stay there. :)

Suicide bombers have got the whole concept wrong. The idea of paradise is supposed to be one of harmony and bliss, how can that be so if it's filled with souls of people that are trying to come to terms with the destruction they have imparted on innocent people!

porshiepoo
14-Dec-05, 01:32
You're not a true atheist then Rheggers. A true believer in death after life doesn't have such a fear.

My point exactly!
Many people do not fear a life after death but actually the concept of what they believe that life after death to be.

There need be no fear!

Rheghead
14-Dec-05, 01:38
You're not a true atheist then Rheggers. A true believer in death after life doesn't have such a fear.

Hold your horses Doc, just fantasizing that's all :)

jjc
14-Dec-05, 01:57
it can take a lot more courage for a non-believer of life after death to make that decision than it does for a believer to choose to learn from the experience.

Does that make sense?

I just feel that a non-believer of life after death believes that death means the end, ergo if they commit suicide that is it!
Actually, that makes perfect sense.

It’s the reason why I said that I’d probably never have the courage to take the final decision to end my life. I believe that when I die that’s it, the end of me. Full stop. Finito. The end. No more.

If I sit and ponder on it, I think that the reason I find that to be slightly disquieting is that I can’t imagine it – oblivion, I mean. I’ve a pretty good imagination, but that is beyond me.

The only other thing I can equate it to is space. Oblivion and the enormity of space: the two things I can’t imagine and the two things that make me feel slightly uneasy.

Anyway, I understand why people find religion and the promise of – well, of more – to be comforting, but even though I can’t imagine oblivion, I believe it’s what’s waiting for me.

As things stand, I can’t imagine hurrying towards oblivion faster than is absolutely necessary, but then I’m not currently faced with excruciating pain or debilitating illness. Perhaps I’d find hidden courage if my situation changed, and I’d like to have the option if I did.

spiggie
14-Dec-05, 02:27
I think that we are straying from the point here, the question i ask is, if you find yourself in the worst imaginable pain possible and no longer wish to have to suffer it, would you really be worrying whether there is life after death, nothing at all or an eternity in hell...?

DrSzin
14-Dec-05, 03:01
Hold your horses Doc, just fantasizing that's all :) Yup, it's fantasy ok. :)

Talking of horses and fantasy, it's almost comforting to see porshiepoo back on familiar territory. She's scared the living daylights out of me a few times with her objective incisive demolition jobs of the last few days on a thread not far from here.

Spiggie makes an interesting point. I once suffered a condition that some described as giving some of the worst pains there are -- not sure I believe them, but that's what I was told at the time. But it was fixable and it wasn't for very long so there was no way I wanted to die to get rid of it. But if I had a terminal illness and/or unbearable pain that wasn't gonna go away, then I might be first in line for the drugs to end it all. But, then again, I might not. I really don't know.

My gut feeling is that supervised euthanasia shouldn't be freely available those who suffer from depression (as opposed to "physical" illnesses) but I have no strong arguments to support that feeling. (Having just re-read my post, I'm not sure I believe what I just wrote, but I'll leave it in there anyway.)

I'm as close as you get to a fundamentalist atheist, so I don't give a hoot what's written in any so-called holy book.

Moira
14-Dec-05, 03:39
I think that we are straying from the point here, the question i ask is, if you find yourself in the worst imaginable pain possible and no longer wish to have to suffer it, would you really be worrying whether there is life after death, nothing at all or an eternity in hell...?

For myself - the answer is simple - if I was suffering from a terminal illness involving severe pain - then yes -I would welcome an end to it. I'm not so sure about having to take the decision for a member of my family - even under the worst circumstances. Maybe this is why we should all make one of these "Living Wills". If euthanasia was "legalised" my fear would be that it would be open to abuse - even strictly controlled it would very much depend on the medical profession & human nature - and we all know what that means.

golach
14-Dec-05, 10:06

How has this simple question gone to discussing the so called afterlife and suicide bombers, This is called hijacking a thread I think. and Im not falling for porshies babbling :p

porshiepoo
14-Dec-05, 10:40
How has this simple question gone to discussing the so called afterlife and suicide bombers, This is called hijacking a thread I think. and Im not falling for porshies babbling :p

Because a persons choice to kill themselves or not during terminal illness can probably be affected by their belief of what is on the other side.

Obviously the majority of people would choose not to go through pain that is going to result in death anyway, especially if theres a severe disability involved, but for me it wouldn't be a choice I could not carry out because I blieve in the afterlife and because I believe there would be something I wanted to learn from the experience.
So it's not off subject at all.

jjc
14-Dec-05, 13:08
This is called hijacking a thread I think.
I'd call it 'having a conversation'.

Rheghead
14-Dec-05, 13:11
And two weeks later they find a cure....

True, but by the time the funding for trials and trials get underway and it gets FDA/BMA approval then time will have run out for those that need it.

angela5
15-Dec-05, 02:00

i was just going to say the same thing, hi-jacked indeed.

scrapydoo
15-Dec-05, 09:26
i was just going to say the same thing, hi-jacked indeed.
Yes but when anyone does it to drugs are dangerous its a totally different matter then they have a hissy fit and throw there toys out of the pram.

lassieinfife
15-Dec-05, 10:02
Has anyone ever been able to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is an afterlife?... i think i will be just so much compost and nothing else

katarina
15-Dec-05, 12:35

Me too! Wow, jjc, you and I seem to be on the same wavelength (almost) now-a-days.!!!

jjc
15-Dec-05, 13:09
Me too! Wow, jjc, you and I seem to be on the same wavelength (almost) now-a-days.!!!
Everybody comes around to my way of seeing things... eventually ;)

golach
15-Dec-05, 16:16

Aye Right!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Whitewater
18-Dec-05, 03:38
I'm not too sure how I got onto this thread, just browsing and stumbled upon it, I have found all the views very intresting.

I have found out regretfully some time ago that there is a place for euthanasia, regardless of your views on afterlife, and whether it is right or wrong.

I had the heartbreaking experience of watching my father die from Motor Neuron disease. He had a great mind, was a good athelete in his day and was always fit and active. This disease hit him for no apparent reason, we had to slowly watch him waste away, firstly loosing the use of his arms and legs, then speech, he was eventually unable to write or comunicate with us. Can you imagine the effect this must have on someone who posessed an active mind. Eventually he couldn't even turn himself in bed, it was a blessing for him when he eventually died.

To answer your question, yes I beleive in euthanasia, when it lands on your doorstep you can moralise as much as you like about this and that, its all crap, all that is on you mind is the person, who and how they presented themselves and what they would want. I know how my father must have hated the way he died, without dignity having an active mind and unable to comunicate with us to let us know what he felt.

katarina
19-Dec-05, 21:30

Now don't get carried away -- I did say SOME things!!!!

katarina
19-Dec-05, 21:34
I had the heartbreaking experience of watching my father die from Motor Neuron disease. He had a great mind, was a good athelete in his day and was always fit and active. This disease hit him for no apparent reason, we had to slowly watch him waste away, firstly loosing the use of his arms and legs, then speech, he was eventually unable to write or comunicate with us. Can you imagine the effect this must have on someone who posessed an active mind. Eventually he couldn't even turn himself in bed, it was a blessing for him when he eventually died.

To answer your question, yes I beleive in euthanasia, when it lands on your doorstep you can moralise as much as you like about this and that, its all crap, all that is on you mind is the person, who and how they presented themselves and what they would want. I know how my father must have hated the way he died, without dignity having an active mind and unable to comunicate with us to let us know what he felt.

I can empathise with you, water, but in that dreadful position, could you give the permission to end his life? It must be a heartrending decision for any family member even if they know the wishes of their loved one.