PDA

View Full Version : Should she have got more.

justine
19-Jul-08, 14:26
We had the thread aboutt he woman who had seven abortions, and there were alot of comments, but i now have to ask did this worker get the right punishment for this....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/7514674.stm

I think if this had been me or anyone i would be going mental. Talk about an injustice to the person and the worker should really have got more than a caution. What suprises me is that this mistake was alowed to happen.

_Ju_
19-Jul-08, 14:31
The story isn't clear ( which I think it should be), but the woman in question, who had not been identified by the nurse properly, was in for her first consultation to terminate her pregnancy, so that was probably the mitigating circumstance.

justine
19-Jul-08, 14:35
i dont think whether it was first consultation or not, the mistake was made and the poor lady had it aborted without actually making up her mind.The problem is that too many mistakes are made so readily on the NHS and the worker gets cautioned..How many people are affected by mistakes in hospitals, you hear so many frightening stories about it. I remember reading about a man who went into hospital for a routine op
on his leg and ended up having his testicles removed because the surgeon was given the wrong notes and patient. the doctors in that case lost their jobs, so why should this one have the right ot a caution when she has removed someones baby without the full consent of the lady in question.
Another one was a man wne tinto hospital for a leg removal, the wrong leg was removed and he ended up with no legs..Where is it to stop.

honey
19-Jul-08, 14:48
the problem here is that if most people make a mistake at work, it doesnt have such dire consequences. Medical professionals are only human, and can easily make mistakes, so i dont really think they could have done much more to her.

She will need to live with this, past the time her caution is on her record.

saying that, the procedures need to be checked, that this mitsake was able to be made is scary stuff.

of course, i am in no doubt that if this happened to me or someone close to me, id not be thinking as rationally about it.

Venture
19-Jul-08, 15:09
I can't understand why, if the woman was there for her first consultation, she did not ask the nurse what she was being given without seeing a doctor first. If you go to an abortion clinic and are handed drugs surely you would ask what they were for. More so, because the woman supposedly had not made a definite decision as to whether she wanted an abortion or not. As Ju has said the full story is not very clear. Yes, the nurse was in the wrong for not double checking she had the right patient but I think the patient should have questioned the nurse's actions before taking the medication. I certainly would have.